Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Gulp! I might be running dog classes!?!

I have been working with Mia on lots of impulse control and focus exercises - based around some 'control unleashed' stuff and lots of other things
But I really need to build up the distractions in a controlled manner

Also a couple in our agility class have some problems that would be helped with some of these things too so I suggested I find a hall and go through some exercises

Finally I have found a hall, they only hire out for 4 hours!! and another friend of mine is getting a puppy and has asked if I can do puppy training too

so
In a couple of weeks the commity decide if I can get the hall and then I might be dipping my little toe into running some classes!!

any hints and tips?? its just friends at the moment
For the older dogs I have a idea what I am looking to do with them - I know the issues and how the owner trains

Is there a silibus for puppy classes?? Obviously I am thinking about sit, down, stay, recal, grooming, clicker, owner responabilitys and the law - building up distractions and stuff, socilasation and possibly as they will be agility dogs some targets, send aways and circle work, little heeling and tricks - and ways to train and relationship with the dog
anything else?? (I am sure I have missed loads)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I have been working with Mia on lots of impulse control and focus exercises - based around some 'control unleashed' stuff and lots of other things
But I really need to build up the distractions in a controlled manner

Also a couple in our agility class have some problems that would be helped with some of these things too so I suggested I find a hall and go through some exercises

Finally I have found a hall, they only hire out for 4 hours!! and another friend of mine is getting a puppy and has asked if I can do puppy training too

so
In a couple of weeks the commity decide if I can get the hall and then I might be dipping my little toe into running some classes!!

any hints and tips?? its just friends at the moment
For the older dogs I have a idea what I am looking to do with them - I know the issues and how the owner trains

Is there a silibus for puppy classes?? Obviously I am thinking about sit, down, stay, recal, grooming, clicker, owner responabilitys and the law - building up distractions and stuff, socilasation and possibly as they will be agility dogs some targets, send aways and circle work, little heeling and tricks - and ways to train and relationship with the dog
anything else?? (I am sure I have missed loads)
oooo well done! that sounds like it will be fun!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds like you've got it all covered, no expert but have been to KC puppy classes & pre agility classes.
The puppy & bronze classes were a bit boring so would have loved some more querky bits that you are adding. I think the most fun thing we did for distraction building skills was to the River dance music where we had to take our dog down the middle & do a kind of formation walking around each other- I loved that bit & the dogs responded really well!
Good luck - wish you lived down South though!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Well done! You will need Public Liability Insurance - ask a broker.
I`ve never done puppyclasses, so can`t suggest anything .
I would suggest an assistant though. There needs to be 2 people when working with people - one to back you up/ be a witness / run for help if all goes pearshaped, or to support individuals while you work with the class etc.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys
I have looked into insurance - at the moment it is just friends but if I take on other people I will deff do it.
Hmm good idea about the extra person too!!

I rememberd a few more
Leave it and loose lead walking
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 12:46 PM
You might find the hall want you to have insurance.

I'd write down what you want to cover and do it in order so you don't miss things out.

Enjoy!

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Good luck

The only two things I would say is to vary what you do so it doesn't get repetitive and make sure everyone has fun.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Good luck Pam
Hope it blossoms for you
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
good luck Pam,

the only advice I would give is, have fun, make it fun for those that come, take each dog as it comes, try not to stick to any rigid plan,
its great fun.