Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Sick after water ?????

Samson is 9 months old now and has always had this problem but I just took it to be that he had a weak muscle that prevented liquid/food coming back up (can't remember what it's called ),
He is sick after he drinks water, just the water comes back up sometimes a few bits of kibble, seems to be when he has drunk for longer than normal like when he gets back from a run/walk or it's hot but it happens within a minute of drinking?

He also has a fishy smell to his breath but has fish oil capsules so could be that? but Sasha has the same and I don't smell it on her breath? Just worrying it is something wrong now his body is more mature if it was a weak muscle it would have strengthened by now???

Also thought I ought to mention that he doesn't reach and do the body jerks and be sick, it just kind of falls out like we would be sick.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Phoebe does that on occasion. Drinks to much to fast then a bit comes back up usually with a burp or two. If you are worried the vets the best option
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I would prob limit his water after exercise (also leave plenty of time after he has eaten before exercise) ie only have a small amount in his bowl when he finishes it give him a bit more until hes had enough

when my boy comes back from riding he would stop at the horses trough and gulp down loads and then walk off and promptly vomit no retch nothing just head down and projectile water. Needless to say he gets called away from the trough and is allowed a bucket once hes chilled out a bit
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Ah thank you nice to know he's not the only one, he drinks water fine the rest of the time with no problems, I do leave an hour at least after food to exercise but will try and get him to calm down before he gulps all the water in one go x x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Bringing back the water is quite common, but I'd check with the vet regarding the fishy smell to his breath as this could well signify an infection. Well worth having checked out.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Bringing back the water is quite common, but I'd check with the vet regarding the fishy smell to his breath as this could well signify an infection. Well worth having checked out.
Thank you Brierley, I will call the vet monday
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Perhaps try cutting the fish oil out for a couple of days to see if the smell goes. He may suffer from a bit of reflux if his tummy is over full of water, from a loose oesophageal sphincter.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Clever cloggs knowing the muscles name Yes I will cut out the fish caps didn't think to do that, not the brightest spark am I, Thank you x x
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Dogs have this wonderful ability to just barf. They don't seem to care when they ingest too much or the wrong thing: in and out. So long as there's no evidence of soreness or sickness, I wouldn't worry much.

Contrast this with my boy, having stolen an entire bar of 70% Green&Blacks within *seconds* of getting it through the door, having to go to the vet for an emetic injection. This wasn't just barfing. This was being wrung out-- on purpose, of course; that stuff's poisonous. You know misery when you see it. Casual yakking isn't it.

The fishy breath may not be fish! Plaque buildups can develop that fishy dog breath smell too. The teeth cleaning chews work for two of mine... not for the other one, and though he doesn't usually eat fish, he totally has pilchard breath.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Zena always does this, I have to restrain her water on our return from a walk. She once got hold of the hose end as I was filling up her pool I have the same with her after food, so again, I move her away from the bowl and let her just visit it often, never drinking too much in one go. That can cause bloat, so I'm very aware of how much she drinks after/before exercise or food. Never had this with any other dog, but she has an underlying problem somewhere, but we control it, maybe you'll have to do the same, so good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >