Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
And without saying it, that was what I was trying to imply. If people go to a rescue, perhaps make themselves useful, do some voluntary work, get to know the staff & let them get to know you ~ it does tend to open doors
Unfortunately not everyone has the time to do much. I used to think every little helped and when I could no longer go in and do a days work would take in food, treats, toys, cheap quilts, towels etc but can't even do that now due to living in the middle of nowhere and not being able to drive.
Someone who phones up & asks if they would rehome to someone living in a flat is much more likely to get the "no" answer, than someone who goes the extra mile to show they'd be a good & caring dog owner, regardless of circumstances.
Aye but when you've experienced being turned down because you live in a flat so many times it gets to the point where it's the first thing you tell them because otherwise you're just wasting your time and theirs. Might as well get it out there and see whether it's worth carrying on the conversation or not.

Not that I'm suggesting this is right, & no doubt lots of potentially good homes are lost by this attitude, but I can sort of see it from the rehoming centre's side too. Rules may be relaxed in certain circumstances!
I can sort of see it from both sides but it's still highly frustrating and I really can see why people go to a pet shop or wherever at times. I'm not saying absolutely anyone should be able to adopt any dog they want but the blanket policies rule out a hell of a lot of people who could give a dog a decent home.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11