Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Rescue vs buying a puppy

Rescue vs buying a puppy from a breeder?

Naturally im going to assume many of you are going to state that adopting a rescue dog is better then buying a puppy as thats what I was recomend by many when I first posted about choosing a puppy!

So at first I was dead set against adopting a puppy for a first time. I didn't want someone elses dog to look after as thats to me what it feels like when you adopt. Of course it becomes your dog but it still belonged to someone else and was shapped by someone else to be the way it is.

Ive all ready decided I want Miniture Schnauzer as my first dog ive researched the breed and I know I have the time and money to put into looking after a puppy and a dog for life. I have looked at adoption places like Battersea and Dogs trust, unfortunately many dogs for adoption these days are cross breeds or staffordshires. Ive actually pushed the date further back from when I was originally going to buy I want to save up plenty of money and all ready have an idea of what i want to spend.

Their are many puppys in re - homing centres but like I said before many are staffordshires its actually quite upsetting to see many people still breeding and buying staffs when rescue centres are full to bursting both puppies and adults, certainly a miss-understand breed, I almost got tempted to adopt one but have stopped looking on the battersea page as I will be too tempted 0.o''
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I would far rather have an adult rescue dog than a puppy bought or otherwise. Only because I can do the big walks straight away. A puppy would be a major hassle.
Saying that, I think I will have to buy a puppy next time as I want a wirehaired vizla and I have never seen one in rescue and it's not for lack of looking.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Rescue vs buying a puppy from a breeder?

Naturally im going to assume many of you are going to state that adopting a rescue dog is better then buying a puppy as thats what I was recomend by many when I first posted about choosing a puppy!

So at first I was dead set against adopting a puppy for a first time. I didn't want someone elses dog to look after as thats to me what it feels like when you adopt. Of course it becomes your dog but it still belonged to someone else and was shapped by someone else to be the way it is.

Ive all ready decided I want Miniture Schnauzer as my first dog ive researched the breed and I know I have the time and money to put into looking after a puppy and a dog for life. I have looked at adoption places like Battersea and Dogs trust, unfortunately many dogs for adoption these days are cross breeds or staffordshires. Ive actually pushed the date further back from when I was originally going to buy I want to save up plenty of money and all ready have an idea of what i want to spend.

Their are many puppys in re - homing centres but like I said before many are staffordshires its actually quite upsetting to see many people still breeding and buying staffs when rescue centres are full to bursting both puppies and adults, certainly a miss-understand breed, I almost got tempted to adopt one but have stopped looking on the battersea page as I will be too tempted 0.o''
that made me sad to read that
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Pippa, I've already told you my thoughts on rescues hehe. So I'm feeling quite pleased that you are giving it more thought now.
Is there a dedicated Min Schnauzer rescue you could contact?
Believe me once you rescue, you will forget all about the dog being someone elses. They soon take over your heart and become yours 100%. Well mine always have anyway.
I wish you luck and hope you find the solution that is right for you soon.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
When I see puppies my heart does melt rather, especially the 16 week old whippet I keep seeing which is so gorgeous and very briefly I think I would like one. Then my head rules my heart in that I would always always home a rescue. All my rescues have been wonderful and the satisfaction you get from turning a shy, nervous, insecure dog to one that is happy, playful and totally secure is wonderful.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I love puppies, they're gorgeous and so innocent...but I'm very happy in my choice to adopt.
I wish you luck in whatever you decide
There's often young miniature schnauzers on the many tears rescue website. Please don't be put off by their past, you can give them a great future. They become yours and it's fantastic helping them transform. I myself have a rescue boy, came to me at nearly 4. He was robotic and shut down really, but in the last few months he has blossomed and become a normal dog to a great extent
Puppies from good breeders are great, and you will get a clean slate, but there is a special satisfaction from helping a rescue dog trust and love
Sorry if that's a confusing post, I am just trying to see both sides.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I have two dogs, both came home at about 8 weeks. One was from a rescue and one from a breeder.My first puppy Fudge(rescue) came to us as we liked the look of the mum as she was also at the rescue and she is an amazing dog......

When we decided on our second dog I had a specific breed that I wanted and hoped that would work with Fudge's likes and personality.Because of the health problems in the breed I wanted to know the parents had had all the relevant health tests etc.

I would not change the route we took for either dog, both was the correct pathway for our circumstances at that time.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Over the last three months ive changed my mind so many times as to what I want I want to get and whats the right way or the wrong way to go about it the whole thing has confused me to end.

One of the things that appeals to me about adoption is that on many of the sites I checked the dogs have been tested to see if they can live with cats which is great because I have a cat who is 18 years old however she rarely moves further then mums bedroom unless we put her elsewhere. We can't really get anything bigger the miniture Schnauzer as the cat would probably end up with issues.

Im now aware many of the terrior types have an eagerness to chase small furries but im sure with propper training and direction they could all live in harmony together, ive ready begun to think about how to introduce a dog/puppy to chickens which should be fairly straightforward since all of mine live in runs/arks and are perfectly safe inside.

I had notticed about breed specific rescues so may very well have a search for them.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Have you joined the schnauzer forum? They are a rescue section on the site, you might find a young dog that suits your needs

Pretty much all my dogs have been rescues (my boy Sam was born with us, but we got his mum from a rescue a few weeks before he was born).
After getting my last pup (a rescue Dalmatian at 9 weeks old) I swore my next dog would be an older rescue, the constant trips to the toilet in the night and the crying was enough to put me off
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't think it is "better" to rehome a dog than to have a puppy?

On the contrary, it is often "better" to have a puppy for various reasons.

Breed club have rescue and rehoming arms.

Puppies RAISED with cats often have fewer issues with them than older dogs, provided of course that you do the correct training.

Don't feel guilty about doing what is right for YOU. There is nobody else you need to please!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »