Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
I know...if i got to know Tupac i could look after him

Im not promising he would be there when you got back though

Seriously though its a good thought, im lucky i have family close and mum is always coming in and out when she picks the kids up from school but it would be a worry if it wasn't the case
lol well...if he goes missing il know where to look...mind u he probably wouldnt want to come home xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I have helped a couple of people with similar problems. I am sure you could find someone who could get to know him and gain his and your confidence.

The GSD I walked miles for in the snow because his owner was stuck in work in Lincolnshire. I knew him but not that well at the time. I was lucky and he was OK.

I'd suggest a practice run as well. The last thing you want is some idiot with a pole to go in!

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have helped a couple of people with similar problems. I am sure you could find someone who could get to know him and gain his and your confidence.

The GSD I walked miles for in the snow because his owner was stuck in work in Lincolnshire. I knew him but not that well at the time. I was lucky and he was OK.

I'd suggest a practice run as well. The last thing you want is some idiot with a pole to go in!

rune
no that really wouldnt go down well

....its a problem finding peeps that are not scared of him
as ive said i have defo one person he would be fine with..possibly two...was just thinking 'what if' they were not available.
looks like i may be going down the double baby gate route lol
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll have him!!! Your not that far from me either! (Well Enfield!).
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
It's something that you definitely need to think about as with any protective breed it's a concern. I always get recited to me when on about guarding dogs of the tale from when my mother went in to labour with my eldest sister, the old man was at work, she was home alone as it was the middle of the day, she had two pyranean mountain dog (types, i say this as they to me looked like first crosses from pictures but could of just been the original type as it was the seventies), and a dobe. She went into labour on the kitchen floor and had complications which encouraged her to call 999 rather than go for just "pushing her out right there" herself, and the paramedics apparently attempted to gain entrance via side gates to which they were stormed by two of the three dogs, eventually a neighbour let them in the front door and they still got bit by the dobe who was stood over my mum as she was in the throws of labour, not an ideal situation at all. They were apparently savagely protective dogs though, never really took to anyone other than my parents and siblings apparently, barely tolerated visitors and were always VERY hostile to anyone entering the property whether it be the house or outside, even if they knew them.
I'd try and see if theres a sort of "emergency network" you can create, three or four people he gets to trust/know over a period of time maybe, so that in case of emergency there's always "someone".
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Oh dear, it is a terrible responsibility to have dogs that barely tolerate visitors. Mine are fine with people, just do not know how one would react to a stranger coming in in my absence.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:43 AM
After my mums heart attack it struck me that if she phoned for an ambulance when she was alone there would be potential chaos.

We go in through a joint lobby---so her door now has a 'way in' and mine a 'do not enter by this door'. At the moment they are scribbled on paper---I need to make it something more permenant.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh dear, it is a terrible responsibility to have dogs that barely tolerate visitors. Mine are fine with people, just do not know how one would react to a stranger coming in in my absence.
i agree.... i only worry about Tupac if i am not there.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3