Our sister sites
Our sister sites
topbarks
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
not aimed at sarah as i am sure she knows what she is doing with the dog
but i have seen great results with teaching a dog to target something then return for a treat
for example an outstreached hand could be the cue for a nose target, so the dog only has to interact with the hand and not the whole person, and the people have to be told not to interact with the dog just let it target

having said that at the weekend i met a dog who was v people shy and had been taught by getting treats off strangers, it cuddled me to death, fear gone
Targetting is a great way to build confidence but I would still get the dog addicted to targetting something it finds comfortable first. With regard to the dog getting treats off strangers being cured it just shows how different things work with different dogs.
If some one put their hand out to my Bayley when I got him it is likely would have lunged and barked.
I put him in conflict and he couldn't handle it.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 03:22 PM
She sits and 'waves' before she gets the biscuit. I taught her this 5 days ago.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
When we're training and we train 1 dog at a time, often we have more than 200 years of dogtraining experience on the field

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
...I think the original point I was making is that time and time again I've seen it said on Dogsey 'People use (insert clicker, training disc, spray collar, check chain etc) wrong'. Yes, some people get it wrong. People get things wrong every day. It doesn't mean these things don't work or are not successful in some situations.
I get what you're saying, however certain things can work but not be fair, or can work but be hard for many to use correctly, or can work but often cause fallout problems...and so on.

I would never use a shock collar. But I have used a spray collar. I would never use a check chain (just because I don't like them) but I wouldn't take it on myself to tell someone not to use one just because I don't like it.
The reason people may make remarks about choke chains etc (using these as an example) is because they have been known to cause injuries including severe injuries when used robustly (vet Robin Walker who used to be vet to the Met Police I think it was, can attest to this) ... so what is happening is that people who have learnt about the problems tend to comment, but it's usually a very good reason for their comments, they aren't just throwaway

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
The Macho suggestion (I believe) has come from the idea that using methods such as e-collars is the only way to train these 'extreme' dogs.

As you have pointed out yourself...these methods are not nesercary....so why do people continue to use them...

Either they truely see nothing wrong with controlling a dog through electiric shocks or they do it becasue they are ignorant or closed minded to other methods.
Hey Promethean, what is your take on why ecollars etc tend to be used in the more extreme dog sports?

Is it due to tradition or something else?

wys
x
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hey Promethean, what is your take on why ecollars etc tend to be used in the more extreme dog sports?

Is it due to tradition or something else?

wys
x
I don't like them nor do I use them - I do have one though. I already said that the only time I used them was to help a friend who had zero training experience with dogs and needed a quick fix for his rattler loving dog and I only had one day with him.

You have to remember that these sports come from a Military and Police tradition, from a time when training was not very sophisticated. I saw a video of a KNVP competition from the 30's and none of the dogs would have scored very well, or possibly passed by our modern standards. I think it is tradidtion and the fact that it works. Because we breed these dog for that character, we can get away with harsh, even brutal methods that wouldn' work with the average pet. The dog's own qualities are responsible for people not wanting to change... and tradition. I call it 'social inertia", the momentum of 100 years of this type of training make it hard to convince people there are other choices.

The methods weeded out the dogs that couldn't hack it with the dogs that could. But they also tended to think this was an either/or proposition and that you could not change the dog's attitude. We now know that this is not so and almost every breeder/trainers uses 'drive' and confidence building exercises from the moment the dog is born.

Generally people who use physical punishment tend to focus on what THEY DON'T WANT, while I have always focused on WHAT I WANT the dog to do. The example of "I don't want the dog to lick my dish" turns into "I want the dog to lie down"
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Wys, did you hear the canine campus podcast on the work of Esther Schalke re E-collars?

I posted the link a week or so back.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
I think it is tradidtion and the fact that it works. Because we breed these dog for that character, we can get away with harsh, even brutal methods that wouldn' work with the average pet. The dog's own qualities are responsible for people not wanting to change... and tradition. I call it 'social inertia", the momentum of 100 years of this type of training make it hard to convince people there are other choices.

If you think that training methodes don't change...

I recall training sessions i saw as a kid in the early 70ies. They were totally different than todays far more extreme than todays. And we make choices everyday to what the best training method is for that particular dog. and for the E-collar being a quick fix. How come we train 3 years to get a dog to competition

Greetings

Johan
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Don't lump us all together. I also train Malinois and Dutch for Schutz and French Ring (similar to KNPV and NVBK) and I don't use harsh method with my dogs. In fact, I tend to have them almost exclusively off leash, no e-collar.

I find being able to train these types of dogs makes me far more competent when it comes to dealing with "pet" issues. Dog training is not my profession, I am however reasonably competent given my success with my own dogs, the ones I've fostered that had many problems and the success of the people I've helped.
Hi Promethean don't worry I won't.

I would say training to compete in the activities you mention without the use of harsh methods and painful devices is the mark of a good skilled trainer, it doesn't take a skilled trainer to force a dog to comply with heavy handed methods and painful devices.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by topbarks View Post
Targetting is a great way to build confidence but I would still get the dog addicted to targetting something it finds comfortable first. With regard to the dog getting treats off strangers being cured it just shows how different things work with different dogs.
If some one put their hand out to my Bayley when I got him it is likely would have lunged and barked.
I put him in conflict and he couldn't handle it.
I forgot to say that for the first long while they just had strangers drop treats and totaly ignore the dog - he choose when he finaly wanted to interact with people - but now he is so happy he is actually doing great at agility and loving all the people watching him

Sarah - sorry I have lots the quote from you - just wanted to say that Mia is in no way fixed - she is improving every month but it is long slow road (prob not helped by my inexperience) - but as her problem is fear, and the fact she can also redirect her anger it just wouldnt be possible (even if I wanted to) to use any corection methods on her at all
Its all about building her confidence and trying to keep her below the point when she reacts (not always possible when you cant control who is walking round the corner)
She is v improved and now her distance she can tolerate strange dogs is reduced from somewhere on the horizon to within a few feet
But I still make mistakes and missread things sometimes - and like you say too it is a bit random - sometimes when you think she is going to go mental she is totaly fine - like at the agility show where we walked past a van of borders who all went mental at her - she looked at them, looked at me, licked her lips for a treat and walked on! then other times you think she will be fine and she isnt
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >