Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HUM22A
New Member!
Male 

30-04-2009, 01:14 AM

15 month old Akita play biting and pulling on lead

Hi just joined. I have a 15 month old white Jap Akita who I think is being dominant. It is my first dog and I have had him from 5 weeks old. He still play bites. At first i thought this may be down to the teething but he is still doing it and only bites my feet/shoes. He never does this indoors though. Only when going for a walk or in the garden. He also pulls on the lead and doesn't come when called off lead. Have tried takin him to obedience training once which didnt work out as the trainer just gave him a sh!t load of treat and made him feel sick later. Hope some of you can help or point me in the direction of a trainer who actually knows what to do
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Apart from the one time you took him to obedience training, what kind of training are you doing with him?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by HUM22A View Post
Hi just joined. I have a 15 month old white Jap Akita who I think is being dominant. It is my first dog and I have had him from 5 weeks old.
If you had him this early he may not have had as much feedback about playbiting as other dogs do, who leave their litter by 7 or 8 weeks

He still play bites. At first i thought this may be down to the teething but he is still doing it and only bites my feet/shoes. He never does this indoors though. Only when going for a walk or in the garden. He also pulls on the lead and doesn't come when called off lead. Have tried takin him to obedience training once which didnt work out as the trainer just gave him a sh!t load of treat and made him feel sick later. Hope some of you can help or point me in the direction of a trainer who actually knows what to do
Try here, they have to upate their knowledge regularly and use kind, fair methods, hopefully there will be one near to you

www.apdt.co.uk

Wys
x
HUM22A
New Member!
Male 

01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
sorry for the late reply guys but he doesn't know any commands. He sits when you tell him to sit depending on what mood he is in. Have tried teaching him command to no avail although he always waits for his food when you tell him to. I think this may be because he thinks he is the pack leader.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi
this is going to be a big powerful dog and you do need to learn how to train him. It`s a pity you didn`t persist as it sounds like the trainer was trying to show you how to train positively. A dog is not a complicated animal. He doesn`t know that Sit means he should put his bottom on the floor. You have to teach him. I suggest you go to training classes or the local library to read up on dog training. Good luck.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by HUM22A View Post
sorry for the late reply guys but he doesn't know any commands. He sits when you tell him to sit depending on what mood he is in. Have tried teaching him command to no avail although he always waits for his food when you tell him to. I think this may be because he thinks he is the pack leader.
It's not because he thinks he is pack leader, honestly

Why do you think this?

Do try a good training class, one that knows how to teach you how to motivate your dog. Try the apdt I've mentioned above

Wys
x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Training classes are a must with a big dog - especially if you are saying he doesn't know any commans at his age!
Take your own treats (ones that you know won't make him sick) .
I go through a tonne of treats at training classes.
I don't feed my dog before the class, and give her less food when we get home.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
also, after training class, did you get your dog excited?

if so, that may explain being sick
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Chopped chicken breast is good for training and generally well digested. You have to persist with training, as it can seem not to be working straight away, but you do see the results long term. Re the biting it is often a play/excitement thing - does he have tug toys which you play with with him?