Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Looks like the Highway Code specifies how dogs should travel for safety:

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069853

I know that I find dogs that are sticking their heads out of the window to be very distracting.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
72% crikey! I like a good fact its my research gene

That being the case then, I would still not like to see dogs loose in the back of an estate car (although somewhat enclosed for dogs in the boot of small cars i think 28% is still a relatively high risk). And perhaps a british safety standard in dogs crates? (am assuming there isnt one already?)
Do you know it's not specifically illegal to have a dog un-restrained, yet it is illegal to have your dog cause a distraction or injury to another person. Random UK laws! I also found out that it is not law to wear a cycling helmet or horse riding hat in this country above the age of 14. Madness!!

Don't forget that extra 28% isn't just the back of the car ;o)

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Because if our area is anything to go by there are for more pressing issues for the police to be dealing with than how my dog travels.

Crating is not an option for me, I'm not putting my dog through unnecessary stress for such a small risk in the sense that I'm fairly sure the last time I did an emergency stop was on a driving lesson 8 years ago.

I will look into these harnesses but if they seem like they force the dog to stay in either a sit or a lay down position then I won't be using one.
I'll help you with your research. I'll log on tonight and we'll go through all the different ways of harnessing Monty and you can choose which one he will be happiest with. It's really, really important.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

The risk may seem small, but its actually really not, car accidents happen everyday, just because personally you haven't been in one yet doesn't mean that you won't be....if by what you're saying that is how the world worked, why do you wear a seatbelt?

Tara my late dalmatian used to kick up an almighty fuss when in the car, seriously, she hated it, but she was still either in the boot secured, or harnessed with her seatbelt harness.

My two now do lie down, regardless of the length of the journey, they're not bothered, they are secured in the boot. But even if they did hate it, in the boot they would go, securely....at the end of the day, dogs like things they're not supposed to in our world, mine would LOVE to cuddle up on freshly washed clothes or chew socks, or steal food from the worktops, but I don't allow it....just because a dog thinks its fun to hang its head out of the window, doesn't mean its right.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Out of curiosity, why is that unacceptable? a dog can still readjust itself whether in a crate, harness or behind a dog guard.

I also don't see, no offense, how you could compare the potential damage impact of a dog that is loose and unrestrained to one that is securely restrained. If that is the case, why do
we wear seatbelts? because they save lives, and it is exactly the same for our dogs.
Because I assumed that car harnesses
force a dog to stay in one position but have said that I don't know much about them so it's probably ignorance on my part.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Looks like the Highway Code specifies how dogs should travel for safety:

When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069853

I know that I find dogs that are sticking their heads out of the window to be very distracting.
Aww the perpetual student does her research ;o)

I can't believe this is just a suggestion though and not law!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Yes, I do. I was going to write more, but after reading the tone of some of the posts, I wont bother. Jake is very rarely in the car, but yes when he is in the car, I do allow him to. Its my choice though, and my decision to make.
Why be so defensive if you are doing what you feel is okay? Just because the majority of us feel it is totally irresponsible and dangerous doesn't mean to say that if you do that because you don't feel there are risks etc, you shouldn't do it - your dog your risk your fault if something goes wrong - don't wish to be nasty, just have concern for the dogs knowing what can happen but each to their own! Can't see the need for defensive comments though! You do it because you think it's right then you have confidence in your convictions eh?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Because if our area is anything to go by there are for more pressing issues for the police to be dealing with than how my dog travels.

Crating is not an option for me, I'm not putting my dog through unnecessary stress for such a small risk in the sense that I'm fairly sure the last time I did an emergency stop was on a driving lesson 8 years ago.

I will look into these harnesses but if they seem like they force the dog to stay in either a sit or a lay down position then I won't be using one.
I see, so you are happy for a Boxer to be moving around on the back seat of your car, because you have had no need to make an emergency stop in the last 8yrs...so in all likey hood you wont have the need in the next 8yrs????

Tell me, do you buckle up when you buckle up when you get in a car, do your passengers buckle up also.

Why do we wear seat belts??????
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Aww the perpetual student does her research ;o)

I can't believe this is just a suggestion though and not law!
I know.

Luckily I don't see people doing this much any more. I think it used to be more common once upon a time, but now people have got the message about road safety. I notice (just a random observation) that a lot of people have guards, crates in the back, etc., which is nice to see.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
The risk may seem small, but its actually really not, car accidents happen everyday, just because personally you haven't been in one yet doesn't mean that you won't be....if by what you're saying that is how the world worked, why do you wear a seatbelt?

Tara my late dalmatian used to kick up an almighty fuss when in the car, seriously, she hated it, but she was still either in the boot secured, or harnessed with her seatbelt harness.

My two now do lie down, regardless of the length of the journey, they're not bothered, they are secured in the boot. But even if they did hate it, in the boot they would go, securely....at the end of the day, dogs like things they're not supposed to in our world, mine would LOVE to cuddle up on freshly washed clothes or chew socks, or steal food from the worktops, but I don't allow
it....just because a dog thinks its fun to hang its head out of the window, doesn't mean its right.
I'm sure I'm going to regret this and set myself up for a downfall but I've actually been in two car accidents. Neither of which were my fault.

I think the biggest problem these days is there is far too much scaremongering in the world. Yes accidents happen everyday but that doesn't mean i want to spend my life driving round stressing that it will happen to me (again!).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Because I assumed that car harnesses
force a dog to stay in one position but have said that I don't know much about them so it's probably ignorance on my part.
A dog harness, straps a dog to the seat belt in the back of your car, it is designed to allow the dog to turn around, lay down or sit, it is not designed to allow the dog to stand up and move around the car, if it was it would useless, as would human seat belts.

you have trained your dog to walk on a lead for his own safety have you not, so why would you be against training him to sit (settle) quietly restrained safely in the back of your car.

Why is one acceptable and not the other
Page 10 of 49 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »