Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:19 PM

A controversial one!!

Here is an awkward one:

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/l...deer_to_death/

OK thoughts please, this is one of our dogs a lovely gentle lurcher called Jeannie, she isnt dangerous and she didnt maul but yes she took down a deer, she was a working dog and her poor new owners had no idea deer was at this place. She is so soft and is often chased by dogs as she is so scared but yes did let her instinct take over. But so shocked how the paper has totally sensationalised, thoughts?

‎"“Apart from almost causing an accident, it is a dangerous dog that needs returning to the rescue home or disposing of. I don’t think it’s a safe dog to have around.” this sentance irks me sheer ignorance
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I'd agree that the dog could well be a danger to livestock but the whole "oh it will be a child next!" is sheer ignorance. My dog would kill a deer given half a chance, he'd also kill livestock given the chance, it's up to me to ensure he doesn't get the chance, he doesn't deserve to die for it!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Its the way the newspaper has portrayed it poor farmer worried about his sheeps welfare bets he is when they sent of to slaughter to endure the vile journey and death of being hung up and throat slit.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:31 PM
The dog needs to at least be muzzled and probably walked free only in places where she can't possibly do it again.

The farmer has every right to be worried thta his sheep might be got---that is if he is in any way local to the place the incident took place. The sheep are his living,

It is a question of the owner realising they need more control and putting various management strategies in place---which the rescue centre ought to help them with.

rune
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I wonder if the deer was even in full health for the dog to be able to catch it??

Sad really, I would never intentionally let my dog off near deer, or any cattle/pigs because the animals could easily retaliate and do great harm to the dog.....

Obviously this dog has a prey drive, perhaps use a longline in the future? No need to 'destroy' him!
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The dog needs to at least be muzzled and probably walked free only in places where she can't possibly do it again.

The farmer has every right to be worried thta his sheep might be got---that is if he is in any way local to the place the incident took place. The sheep are his living,

It is a question of the owner realising they need more control and putting various management strategies in place---which the rescue centre ought to help them with.

rune
I completely agree.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Jeannie was in foster with us for 3 months and lived with chickens and walked every day in the forest and not once did she put a foot out of place and been with new owners 5months. Sadly no one has a crystal ball and yes will be muzzled from now on.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:42 PM
The newspaper reporting is certainly sensationalist and written to purposely cause a real stir and fear of this dog within the community. I do not agree with this type of reporting at all.

This dog was not doing anything many other loyal, gentle pet dogs wouldn't also do, given the opportunity. This act does not make this dog a danger to children or other dogs/pets. However, I do think it could pose a danger to livestock (but not necessarily). As KC has said, it is an ex working dog and so has most likely been allowed (and encouraged) to chase (and possibly even kill) deer in the past.

It would be an absolute travesty if this dog were ordered to be destroyed because of this one act. The owner of the dog has been taught a very valuable lesson in that she needs to be vigilant and aware of what her dog is capable of and to keep her on a lead in areas where deer (or livestock) may be - even if she has never seen deer in that area before.

Of course seeing something like this would have been shocking for everyone who witnessed it, including the dog's owner no doubt
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
What she said
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Jeannie was in foster with us for 3 months and lived with chickens and walked every day in the forest and not once did she put a foot out of place and been with new owners 5months. Sadly no one has a crystal ball and yes will be muzzled from now on.

Sadly, chickens are not deer and it just demonstrates that dogs DO chase AND kill. They are not Disney cartoons.

Entirely forseeable, and entirely preventable.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >