Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know why the BBC have added rotties to the at risk list

following from another thread about the KC and BBC's coverage of crufts, I was wondering does anyone know why the bbc have added rotties to the list they did not want to be shown on tv,

Many of the breeds on the list are those covered in the pedigree dogs programe,

but for some strange reason the rottie has crept into the BBC's list but no one elses.

Rotties on the whole are fairly healthy dogs, yes they have some problems, yes they are tested for some things,

but they are not at risk.. most of the testing is hips some breeders now do elbows myself included, eyes are often tested.

I will add two links from the other thread, the one from dog world has no mention of rotties, yet the bbc has them listed

Does anyone think it could be as they see the rottie as an aggressive breed?

below the article from dog world

The BBC has confirmed it will not broadcast the dog show Crufts next year.

The Kennel Club, which runs Crufts, said the decision followed "disputes" over the inclusion of certain breeds of pedigree dog in the competition.

The club complained to Ofcom after a BBC investigation earlier this year found dogs on show suffer from genetic diseases following years of inbreeding.

The BBC said it remained "keen" on continuing discussions with the club.

The corporation's contract to show the event was supposed to end in 2010.

The show is still set to go ahead in March next year but the club said it could not comply with the BBC's request for particular breeds to be excluded from the show.

Kennel Club chairman Ronnie Irving said he "was very sorry" that BBC audiences would miss out on the "remarkable diversity" of the show.

"However, we have been forced to reject the insupportable conditions imposed by the BBC, who have told us they will only televise the show in 2009 if certain breeds are excluded from participating.

"We are unable to agree to these demands, as it would compromise both contractual obligations and our general responsibility to dog exhibitors and our audience and we believe it would be inappropriate and counterproductive to exclude any recognised breed from Crufts," he said.

The club said the BBC had failed to "take into account" measures the club had put in place to improve the health of pedigree dogs.

The dispute is believed to centre around at least 12 breeds including the basset hound, the mastiff, the rottweiler and the German shepherd.

The Kennel Club has identified these to be "at risk".

The Kennel Club was featured in a BBC documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed, which claimed many pedigree dogs suffered because owners bred them for looks.

The programme also identified the Rhodesian ridgeback and cavalier spaniel as having serious congenital issues.

It showed spaniels with brains too big for their skulls and boxer dogs that suffered from epilepsy.

The Kennel Club has complained that the show was unfairly edited and did not properly reflect its "deep commitment to the health and welfare of dogs".

Ofcom is still investigating.

'New rules'

It is understood that the club was asked to ban "at-risk" breeds from entering only the main competitions including "Best in Show" and the group categories.

They could still enter fringe competitions where the BBC did not concentrate its coverage.

The club has announced it plans to issue new rules about how pedigree dogs should be bred and, in partnership with The Dogs Trust charity, has commissioned an independent review - the results of which are due to revealed in early 2009.

It first set of new breeding standards was for Pekingese dogs, traditionally bred to have a flat face, which the club has admitted "can lead to breathing problems".

Under the new health plan, the breed is required to have a defined muzzle.

More new rules are set to follow over the next few months.

The club is also calling on the government to give it statutory powers to make its Accredited Breeder Scheme compulsory throughout the country - a system that would make it illegal for non-members to produce or sell puppies.

The club said the March event would set the standard for future dog shows and judges would be trained to help ensure all dogs who were awarded prizes were "healthy representatives" of their breed.

The BBC said it had "suspended" the show pending further health and safety investigations.

'Significant steps'

After the documentary was aired, the corporation appointed an independent panel of experts to advise on any future coverage of the Crufts show.

A spokesman said: "Unfortunately we were not able to reach an agreement about how to handle televising the so-called 'at-risk' breeds of pedigree dog and therefore we decided to suspend coverage in 2009."

The corporation said it recognised the Kennel Club had "taken significant steps" to address the problems aired in the documentary and was "keen" to continue discussions reviewing the effects of the changes.

George Entwistle, the controller of BBC Knowlege Commissioning, said people would be disappointed but the corporation had to have confidence the measures taken would be "effective" in addressing the issues raised before the event could be broadcast again.

In October pet food firm Pedigree withdrew its sponsorship of the show while the RSPCA and the Dogs Trust also withdrew their support for the event.

The RSPCA's Mark Evans said the BBC's decision reflected "serious scientific and public concern about pedigree dog welfare" and the show should be concerned less with the "arbitrary appearance" of the the breeds.

Crufts, which was first held in 1891, attracts more than 150,000 visitors a year.
the link to the bbc with rotties listed,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779686.stm
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Reading that hun it seems they are on there as they have been deemed a aggressive breed unless i've read it all wrong x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Reading that hun it seems they are on there as they have been deemed a aggressive breed unless i've read it all wrong x
Im at a loss I really am..just heading back onto the kennel clubs site to see if I can dig up something..
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I can't see anywhere where it suggests that?

I've heard that the KC have completed their health assessment of all registered breeds. If the BBC has seen this, it might suggest that there is potentially some health related problem, but as Shona says, what?

Shona, if I was you, I'd be getting in touch with the KC to find out what the health report on rottis said - if no joy with them, I'd be asking the BBC.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:17 PM
part of the kc health report for rottweilers

Table 3. Disease conditions by organ system/category for Rottweilers.
All conditions
Disease condition N % Most common specific conditions in descending order
1 Musculoskeletal 39 28.7 CLR; lameness (forelimb>hindlimb); arthritis; CHD; elbow dysplasia
2 Dermatologic 24 17.6 Pyotraumatic dermatitis; mites (sarcoptes>cheyletiella=demodex)
3 Reproductive 17 12.5 False pregnancy; pyometra; agalactia; eclampsia; mastitis; vaginitis; infertility
4 Gastrointestinal 11 8.1 Colitis; campylobacter; diarrhoea; regurgitation; weight loss
5 Ocular 10 7.4 Entropion; corneal ulcer; conjunctivitis; epiphora; unspecified
6 Immune mediated 8 5.9 Immunoglobulin type A (IgA) deficiency; food allergy; MMM; food allergy; flea allergy; dust mite allergy
7 Cancer 6 4.4 Unspecified (liver>rest); lymphoma (foot)
8 Respiratory 5 3.7 Kennel cough; rhinitis; noisy breathing
9 Urologic 4 2.9 Cystitis; incontinence (unspecified)
10 Aural 3 2.2 Otitis externa
11 Benign neoplasia 2 1.5 Lipoma
12 Endocrine 2 1.5 Hypothyroidism
13 Neurologic 2 1.5 Seizures
14 Cardiac 1 0.7 Chronic heart failure
15 Trauma 1 0.7 Forelimb
16 Unknown 1 0.7 Undiagnosed illness
Total 136 100.0
MMM=masticatory muscle myositis

Table 3. Disease conditions by organ system/category for Labrador Retrievers.
All conditions
Disease condition N % Most common specific conditions in descending order
1 Musculoskeletal 182 26.9 Arthritis (elbows>unspecified>shoulders>rest); CLR; CHD; OCD (elbow>hock>rest)
2 Reproductive 88 13.0 Dystochia (uterine inertia>physical blockage); pyometra; infertility; false pregnancy
3 Dermatologic 56 8.3 Mites (sarcoptes>unspecified); pyotraumatic dermatitis; dermatitis
4 Ocular 48 7.1 Cataracts (unspecified>congenital); entropion; corneal FB
5 Aural 37 5.5 Otitis externa; aural haematoma; ear mites; excessive ear wax
6 Gastrointestinal 34 5.0 Colitis; vomiting & diarrhoea; GDV; gastroenteritis (unspecified>chronic); other (unspec.)
7 Respiratory 31 4.6 Kennel cough; coughing; laryngeal paralysis
8 Benign neoplasia 29 4.3 Lipoma; histiocytoma (skin); type unspecified (hock)
9 Cancer 29 4.3 Type unspecified (mammary>rest); MCT; melanoma (mouth; back); carcinoma (unspecified)
10 Neurologic 25 3.7 Seizures; IVDD (unspecified)
11 Urologic 24 3.6 Cystitis; incontinence (unspecified>after spay); cystouroliths (unspecified=struvite)
12 Immune mediated 23 3.4 Atopy; gluten-sensitive enteropathy; dust mite allergy; food allergy; AIHA
13 Cardiac 17 2.5 Heart murmur; cardiomyopathy (unspecified>dilated); arrhythmia
14 Trauma 16 2.4 Musculoskeletal (hindlimb>forelimb=head=tail); ocular; other (unspecified)
15 Endocrine 11 1.6 Hypothyroidism; unspecified; diabetes mellitus
16 Unknown 10 1.5 Undiagnosed illness
17 Dental 6 0.9 Defect other than extra teeth; dental disease; retained puppy teeth
18 Hepatic 3 0.4 Hepatitis; liver failure (chronic)
19 Anal gland 2 0.3 Anal sacculitis
20 Other 2 0.3 Uncodeable
21 Cardiopulmonary 1 0.1 Pleural effusion
22 Cerebrovascular 1 0.1 Stroke or cerebral vascular accident
23 Haematopoietic 1 0.1 Von Willebrands disease (VWD)
Total 676 100.0

while the report is not conclusive due to numbers,. I really dont understand why rotties have gone on the at risk list, there are far more breeds with reported illness.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:18 PM
here is a link to the report

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down...rottweiler.pdf
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Shona, if I was you, I'd be getting in touch with the KC to find out what the health report on rottis said - if no joy with them, I'd be asking the BBC.
Im heading out shopping just now, but plan to call the kennel club tomorrow,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:28 PM
The only thing I can see is that of the figures, it does seem quite a high proportion dying of cancer (but then I'd need to look at all the other breeds to see what the proportion was for them, which I haven't done).

The other thing is whether the BBC might think that the relatively low response (26%) to the survey indicates that there are problems that the breeders don't want to be revealed?

Surprisingly, there is no date on the report - do you know that this is the report that has just been completed (rather than an older survey?)
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm suprised that gastro is 4th, I would have put that before the dermatologic xx
Can you post a result for another breed for a comparison Shona xx
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Miss Harrison has stated elswhere that she believes it is a mistake in the press release and that Rotties were not one of the breeds that the BBC wished to censor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >