Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

18-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I own a breed where our numbers are not great.We have a few dedicated breeders who produce 1/2 litters a year with the intentions of producing better/good dogs.
All of these breeders have limited space and hence can only keep a limited supply of dogs.I know of 1 breeder who keeps her bitches once they are retired...the others rehome dogs/bitches that are retired or not good enough to show/breed.At the end of the day you need to look at the bigger picture...
1/ these dogs are rehomed into loving pet homes to live in comfort instead of spending their remaining years in a kennel.
2/ if these dogs didn't make way for other dogs it would prevent these breeders producing more excellent dogs and hence prevent people like me buying my 'dream' puppy
3/if good breeders don't supply puppies...where do buyers go! BYB and puppy farms.
These retired dogs are homed carefully and often with great upset to the owner who has lived with the dog for sometimes many years...but they know the best place for a retired dog is in a nice loving warm house.
How is it different from selling on a puppy...because the purchaser agrees to return the dog to the breeder since a good breeder takes responsibilty for their 'produce' for life and IMO a breeder taking care to rehome a dog is a lot different to sticking an ad in a local paper to sell to the first person with the required cash.

I agree with what you have said.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
?

Why does taking responsibilty of offspring come before your breeding bitches?

?
Sorry I dont understand what you mean.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Nobody mentioned a substandard life. Many of the big breeders have staff that look after the dogs very well. They are not stuck in kennels 24/7. They are exercised, groomed, loved, played with - they just don't have the bond that we have with ours because ours live in the house.
Ok, but still why should the dogs have to spend years without being able to closely bond with someone just so they can make money for their 'breeder'. It is the fact that once they have outlived their 'usefullness' they are tossed aside to make way for the next bitch they can breed from to make them money that I don't like. Sorry but unless it is a genuine reason to rehome then I don't see the need.

Then I looked at the bigger picture and realised that a) breeds would not exist if it weren't for these people
I don't really agree with this - I know several breeders who own 10+ dogs - they do not rehome any of their elder dogs to make way for new ones. If they had to do that then they would not breed.

just as most people who have an occasional litter would do if one of their puppies came back to them - or is it wrong to rehome these too?
Of course not - that is taking the whole thing out of context. They never intended keeping the pup in the first place so why would it be wrong to rehome? I am merely talking about ex breeding dogs whom they can no longer make money from (as stated above).
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Greyhawk;1284250]Ok, but still why should the dogs have to spend years without being able to closely bond with someone just so they can make money for their 'breeder'. It is the fact that once they have outlived their 'usefullness' they are tossed aside to make way for the next bitch they can breed from to make them money that I don't like. Sorry but unless it is a genuine reason to rehome then I don't see the need.
Very emotive words there! Again, no-one said anything about breeders making money from these dogs - and 'tossed aside'? Most of these breeders that I know personally (and they're the only ones I can comment on - anything else would be pure speculation ) do the same rigorous checks with their older dogs that they do when selling a puppy. And it might not even BE a breeding bitch - as I said before, it might be an older dog who didn't turn out as good as they hoped, or a Champion.

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:06 PM
But how can we expect your average puppy buyer to retain a puppy for life when breeders don't. That's the point I'm trying to get across. Most of us complain (in my view quite rightly) when people buy a pup then pass it on and get another one but as some breeders do this routinely then who is it setting the standards for dog ownership?
You can't exactly argue the cause when they can quite simply come back at you and say breeders do it!
So what is right? Should a dog be for life or not?
Becky
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Very emotive words there! Again, no-one said anything about breeders making money from these dogs - and 'tossed aside'? Most of these breeders that I know personally (and they're the only ones I can comment on - anything else would be pure speculation ) do the same rigorous checks with their older dogs that they do when selling a puppy. And it might not even BE a breeding bitch - as I said before, it might be an older dog who didn't turn out as good as they hoped, or a Champion.

Debs
So the dog is not good enough is a good enough reason to rehome it? So me saying my dog is not good enough at playing with kids, not good enough matching the sofa are just as valid reasons? Or my dog is now not old enough to breed from so no longer wanted - IMO almost the same as what puppy farmers do with their unwanted stock and bred out bitches. Maybe its this attitude its not a champion so pretty useless is wrong with the dog world today.

If these dogs are kept in kennels, groomed exercised, have staff to do all the work is that any different than being in a decent rescue?

The slogan a dog is for life certainly doesnt seem to what a lot of people believe in and thats very sad for all the dogs out there.

If breeders feel its perfectly acceptable for them to rehome their breeding stock how can they then complain if one of their pups is passed on because it wasnt good enough? (which I think was the OP's point)
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:13 PM
yes.. i believe a dog should be for life, regarless of it's purpose: showing, working or racing, but that's just my opinion and it's not going to happen in every case. people just have dogs for different reasons and while i'd regard a dog as part of the family, a pet that works, i know that many people don't view dogs like this and put showing, working or racing first. So i suppose it comes down to the kinds of homes that breeders expect for their dogs..
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
But how can we expect your average puppy buyer to retain a puppy for life when breeders don't. That's the point I'm trying to get across. Most of us complain (in my view quite rightly) when people buy a pup then pass it on and get another one but as some breeders do this routinely then who is it setting the standards for dog ownership?
You can't exactly argue the cause when they can quite simply come back at you and say breeders do it!
So what is right? Should a dog be for life or not?
Becky
Becky, in all walks of life people do things that other people don't. That's all it comes down to really.

The difference is simply this:

Some breeders know that the dog they bred and kept will eventually be rehomed.

My puppy buyers know that (barring unforseen circumstances) their dog will be with them for life.

If people don't like this then they don't sell to those breeders who are likely to rehome their dogs. It really is that simple.

I refuse point blank to sell puppies to anyone who would leave the dog alone for more than 3 hours (4 at a push) or people with children under 10 years old or to someone who kennels their dogs. Some people would go mad at this saying that their dogs are perfectly happy being left/being checked on by another person during the day/etc and that they get on like a house on fire with their young children and just love their kennels. Just because someone else does something, it doesn't mean that everyone else has to do the same. It doesn't make me right and them wrong or vice versa.

Debs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So the dog is not good enough is a good enough reason to rehome it? So me saying my dog is not good enough at playing with kids, not good enough matching the sofa are just as valid reasons? Or my dog is now not old enough to breed from so no longer wanted - IMO almost the same as what puppy farmers do with their unwanted stock and bred out bitches. Maybe its this attitude its not a champion so pretty useless is wrong with the dog world today.

If these dogs are kept in kennels, groomed exercised, have staff to do all the work is that any different than being in a decent rescue?

The slogan a dog is for life certainly doesnt seem to what a lot of people believe in and thats very sad for all the dogs out there.

If breeders feel its perfectly acceptable for them to rehome their breeding stock how can they then complain if one of their pups is passed on because it wasnt good enough? (which I think was the OP's point)

Here's a fact that some people don't seem to grasp:

People have dogs for varying reasons.

If I sold a dog as a pet I would expect it to be just that - a pet. If it went on to do anything else like showing or working then that's great. But if someone wanted a working dog - a dog purely to work, to do a job (the one the breed was intended to do perhaps!) and, as the pup started to grow, it showed little or no aptitude for working, then yes - they have every right to rehome it. Big breeders come under the latter.

IMO it's the intent that counts with anything. It's a, shall we say average? persons' intent to have a dog as a pet - nothing more. It's one of the bigger breeders' intent to advance their chosen breed and have a big impact on it and put their entire lives into doing so. They may not think of their dogs in the same way that we do. To them, even though they love their dogs and give them a decent life, the dogs are there to do a job. This doesn't make them bad people - just people with a different outlook.

Debs
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 06:33 PM
The only difference i see is that the breeders, see the dogs as stock.The owners see them as pets.
I don't agree with any breeder re homing their older dogs to make space for the younger pups/dogs.
For me if you own the dog it should be for its life, breeder or owner.
If you can't provide for the younger dog because you have a number of older dogs you shouldn't pass on or re home the older ones.
I just see people using the dogs to breed from, get a name for themselfs in the show world, then get rid of the old and in with the new.
I could never get rid of any of my dogs, regardless of if i wanted to get another.
They may be re homed to what would be good homes, but they are still re homing an old dog for their own reason not because the dog needs to be re homed.
Why would an older dog, who has grown up with them suddenly need to be re homed?
I couldn't own a dog for any period of time, then re home.
It is like people getting rid of a older dog because of getting a new pup.
I couldn't do it, breeder or owner.
So to me it is double standards, do as i say not as i do.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »