Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Flex..his story

Yesterday we received the most thoughtful and wonderful gift off a friend Karen, a lovely plum tree to plant as a memorial to our dear Flex who died on Monday at the ripe old age of 17. I wasn't going to post a memorial but today I also received a card from Ailsa (Ramble) and I feel I would like to tell you all about Flex. I don't want to mourn him, but to celebrate his life with us and the joy he brought to us.

Megan with Flex's Tree;

Flex arrived with us shortly after we lost our German Shepherd dog all those years ago. He was a mere two year old then. We decided to get a rescue dog and called the local Animal Concern and were told by Hilary that she had just taken in a Bearded Collie X and although not a Shepherd he had Shepherd colours and a long coat. So off we went to see him, this miserable little wreck of a dog, we took him for a walk to see how we all bonded and from that moment he was ours. we took him home there and then as we were known to the rescue and recommended by our vet.

He sat in the back seat of the car between Rebecca and James (now 22 and 24 respectively) and we had to open the windows as he stank so much. We all could do no more than laugh for he was adorable and I guess he knew where his 'bread was buttered' as he was the scruffiest and yet cutest ..if stinkiest dog you could imagine.

After bathing de-fleaing and worming it was then appointment to be castrated. He very soon began to settle into family life, especially as when you consider the state he arrived in, he was scared with dog bites, very thin, smelly, full of worms and fleas. He had been in a multi un-castrated male dog household and I guess he'd come off worst in the fighting!

Soon we progressed to doing ears and nails and worked on his manners. He had never been fed any 'proper' dog food..preferring to eat toast at first. He was nervous at first, unsure of what he was allowed to do and didn't know how to play. Over time he gained in confidence and started to love his toys..especially the squeaky ones. He adored the children and would escape through the cat flap to follow James to the local primary school on occasions.

He used to chase the cats when he arrived but we slowly and patiently worked on this, and with the help of some of our very good natured cats he learned to love (and respect) them too.

He enjoyed life to the full and he always had a little sparkle in his eyes. The vet used to call him Disney features, although he never lost his scruffiness. He loathed being groomed and in his later years I'm afraid he did look unkempt as we tended to 'go lightly' on him as his bones started to ache with rheumatism. Quite a few years ago he went totally deaf, but he was a clever and adaptable dog and took very readily to the sign language that we taught him.

Over the last year or eighteen months he was failing but never quite so much as he wasn't enjoying a quality of life and when he finally died in his bed on Monday it was a fitting end for a very special little lad and I thank him for bringing so much love into our lives. For that Flex should not be mourned but his life celebrated

One of our last pictues of our dear old Flex;

Thank you for listening to his story.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 03:58 PM
A lovely story Kath and I'm so pleased that I had the pleasure of meeting the dear old chap in the flesh earlier in the year.

He was a real credit to you and the deep love that you and your family gave him shone through. To reach such a grand old age is marvellous and I know that, having been with you for so long, it will be a while before you get used to him not being around.

I'm so pleased that you are strong enough to celebrate his life and the joy that he brought you.

Sheree x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
No wonder you want to celebrate his life, he sounds like he was a wonderful dog who had a full and very happy life with you.

And thank you for the story - you have given me hope that my old, deaf, arthritic dog may go on happily for a few more years to come
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Megan rose he was a beautiful boy and your friends gift is amazing . so deeply sorry for your loss .
i planted a standard rose tree for my boy as it blooms in may ,around the time of his birthday
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Aw Kath that made me go all tingly, what a lovely memorial to Flex. He looked and sounded like a beautiful boy.
Big hugs Kath.
Ailsa xxxxxxxxxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
What a lovely true story of your dear old boy Flex. He looks such a gentleman and I am not suprised you want to celebrate all that he brought into your life and that of the Children, but you should also be proud of giving him the love and attention which helped him make it to the grand old age of 17. Thinking of you Kath and of Flex its never easy having to say goodbye. Comforting cuddles and I wish you many happy memories of your lovely old boy. Eunice xxxxxx
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2007, 05:12 PM
He sounds and looks like he was a lovely little dog he was a credit to you
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
i'm glad you found each other.
thankyou for sharing your story.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
A lovely story Kath and I'm so pleased that I had the pleasure of meeting the dear old chap in the flesh earlier in the year.

He was a real credit to you and the deep love that you and your family gave him shone through. To reach such a grand old age is marvellous and I know that, having been with you for so long, it will be a while before you get used to him not being around.

I'm so pleased that you are strong enough to celebrate his life and the joy that he brought you.

Sheree x
Thank you Sheree, I'm glad that you met him aswell. I didn't think I'd be strong enough to post about him either, but his life should be celebrated X

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
No wonder you want to celebrate his life, he sounds like he was a wonderful dog who had a full and very happy life with you.

And thank you for the story - you have given me hope that my old, deaf, arthritic dog may go on happily for a few more years to come
then for that reason alone I am glad that I have posted Thank you X

Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Megan rose he was a beautiful boy and your friends gift is amazing . so deeply sorry for your loss .
i planted a standard rose tree for my boy as it blooms in may ,around the time of his birthday
Thanks DK, Yes I think it's a lovely way to remember them..with something that's living. X

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Aw Kath that made me go all tingly, what a lovely memorial to Flex. He looked and sounded like a beautiful boy.
Big hugs Kath.
Ailsa xxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for all of your support Ailsa..I wish you could have met him. XX

Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
What a lovely true story of your dear old boy Flex. He looks such a gentleman and I am not suprised you want to celebrate all that he brought into your life and that of the Children, but you should also be proud of giving him the love and attention which helped him make it to the grand old age of 17. Thinking of you Kath and of Flex its never easy having to say goodbye. Comforting cuddles and I wish you many happy memories of your lovely old boy. Eunice xxxxxx
No it's not at all easy Eunice, but made easier by my lovely friends. Thank you for your comforting words and cuddles. XX

Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
He sounds and looks like he was a lovely little dog he was a credit to you
He was a little star (with a touch of imp in him). Thank you X

Originally Posted by leo View Post
i'm glad you found each other.
thankyou for sharing your story.
Thanks marie, It was my pleasure X
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
That's was beautiful to read Kath. Such a fitting memorial for a much loved member of your family.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >