Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Shady, don't tempt me
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Have a look here most of my friends dogs are grays Gray is the German name for the colour pattern we in the UK call sable. It does not mean that the dogs coat is gray in colour

Blue GSDs are just that Blue not Gray

The basic colour pattern of GSDs is infact gray/sable ! & the various marking are from different types of the pattern(so I am told by someone who has studied colour & patterns in GSDs for a living !)
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 10:08 AM
there are various colours for GSD's

Black & Tan (and various shades of this, Black n red etc)
Livers
Blues
Blacks
Whites
Sables (there are various colours of sable too)

Then there are the different patterns

Saddle Back
Blanket Back
full colours

Hope this helps
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Then there are the different patterns

Saddle Back
Blanket Back
full colours

LOLOL those are American terms (only had GSDs for 47 years )

Correct colours/patterns are those in the SV breed standard(All Black, Grey(sable in UK terms), Bi Colours(Mainly black with tan/gold on face & bottom of legs & feet), Black & Gold(all shades of gold the deeper the gold the better the pigment) & the non standard/disqualifying colours are the "white" & the dilutes Blue & Liver. The German standard does not refer to the "saddle" as set pattern but is used in giving a full description of where the colours can be

This is the FCI(not the German)one
Colour should be black with regular markings in brown, tan to light gray, also with a black saddle, dark sable (black cover on a gray or light brown case with corresponding lighter marks), black, uniform gray or with light or brown markings. Small white markings on the fore chest or a very light color on the insides of the legs are permissible though not desired. The nose must be black with all coat colors. (Dogs with little or no masks, yellow or strikingly light eyes, light markings on the chest and insides of the legs, white nails and a red tip of the tail or washed out weak colors are considered lacking in pigment.) The undercoat or base hair is always light gray, with the exception of that on black dogs. The final color of a puppy is only determined when the outer coat completely develops.

The American one
Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.

& this is the German one
Colour: Black with tan, brown, yellow to pale grey markings. Solid black or solid grey. In greys, darker shading, black saddle and mask. Unobtrusive, small white marks on chest as well as very pale colour on insides of limbs permissible but not desirable. Nose must be black in all colours. Lack of mask, light to piercing eye colour, as well as light to whitish markings on chest and inside limbs, pale nails and red tip to tail, are to be regarded as lack of pigment. The undercoat shows a light greyish tone. The colour white is not permitted.

As you will see there is no Sable in the German breed standard but the Grey is the sable pattern !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...imo_profil.jpg

The above is a german grey GSD
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK]LOLOL those are American terms (only had GSDs for 47 years )

They may well be the American terms, but to a GSD novice like me and others, the american terms are easier to understand - lol, its not often the American's simplify anything
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2005, 12:40 PM
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2005, 12:40 PM
worked it out here are some of the pups
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 12:44 PM
LOL I hate the US terms I had one"knowledgeable"GSD person tell me my dog was a "blanket"black saddle He wasn't he was a bi colour ie he was two(bi)coloured Black & gold no white/silver or any other colour on him

The Americans have taken these terms from other breeds(like the Basset)& applied them to German Shepherds which is of course typical americanism

The above dog is descibed in the US as a Blanket saddle sable ! he isn't he is a grey/sable

Shady

If you look on my friends site under the litters link & then her most recent litter you will see her grey/sable puppies develop from the first week onwards, you will have their colouring to compare your pups to.

Greys/sables & blacks are my favourite GSDs
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »