Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Re dogsey, certainly a funny lot. I have seen some really cruel group mentality on here. Cyber bully really, I don't care but how must it come across to the casual observer
Really Adam , I have been looking around the internet and it seems to me you received exactly the same reception on other positive training based dog sites until your troll friends sneaked in to back you up.There is a lesson there for you, it has nothing to do with group mentality and cyber bullying , it is a fact that most people don't agree with torturing dogs and say so.
The dog world is changing people, apdt is a gonner, lots less members than before. The whole reward based movement is going nowhere fast, yeah you can do fancy tricks with lots of oc chat but you can't stop the dog going for the next scary one that comes along, whats the point in that.
Talk is cheap and no one cares about the journey except hikers!
In 10/15 years I think balanced training will rule, that means aversives mixed with reward based methods, you only have to look at the top sport trainers who use e collars and clickers to know this.

On the subject of e collars, We live in a society with less time to train and less space to exercise dogs. E collars reduce training time and increase exercise opportunities.
The price is dropping every year. Four years ago a average remote collar was a sizeable investment, now I click by it now without a thought.
By many peoples own admission the rise in tricky breeds is giving rise to e collars, huskys/mals in the hands of the general public are great as long as they have control, guess what gives them that and without a lifetime on the lines!
Wolfdogs ect are just the same.
Even the general person with a couple of labs is no longer able to risk a dodgy recall or keep them on lead for years, once again an e collar is the logical solution.

I wonder too how many of you dog lovers would kill you healthy pet instead of e collar train it? Maybe lots on here but out in the real world lots wouldn't!

Social acceptablty is geared by the society its in, right now I think things are changing. I talk to people about collars everyday and it gets easier every day to sell them on e collars.

The futures bright, the futures e collar!

Adam
A lot of wishful thinking there Adam though I have no doubt you will be kept in business by the people who choose the wrong breed or should never have had a dog in the first place because they haven't the time/ patience/empathy to train it and are looking for a quick fix from e collar salesmen regardless of any detrimental effect the use of the device may have on the dog.
I see you remain faithful to 'his masters voice' until the end.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes Adam, we ARE all dog lovers..........thats why we are all still members here on a dog lovers forum, and you are NOT.
Our way of positive training might take longer to achieve the desired result, but it will also last longer, and our dogs are happy and stress free, obedient because they choose to be because they like to please, NOT because they are scared of us

Whatcha gonna do if they ban the e collar, cos you have no idea how to train dogs any other way, so i guess you will be out of a job.......shame (NOT)

Jann x
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I can. I don't do lead tugging/yanking OR use choke chains.
Strangely enough I have used a check chain this week, which is against my principles, but haven't needed to tug or yank it!

I was having trouble walking my new rescue on a flat collar and as an experiment tried a check chain. My theory that she is ex-services/forces/security seems to be right because the moment it was on she went into 'work' mode, heeled closely to my side with her head by my thigh, head up looking alert, and walked perfectly. No need to tug!

In time she will be re-trained to walk just as nicely on a flat collar but I've only had her a couple of weeks so everything will come in its own time. I began using a clicker with her today, so that's a good start. In the meantime if a CC is what she's been used to in the past - and it works for her - then despite my principles it seems the best idea for now until I achieve a good crossover with the flat collar.

But to equate a CC with a shock collar - no! Both can be misused certainly, and cause dogs harm when they are. But I wouldn't use either without expert tuition and training of myself beforehand. I've had training with check chains (in the old days) - never thought I'd ever need to use one again!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
This will (I suppose) be my last post on here!

First off a few apologies, sorry for the crap spelling and grammer, Thats just me tbh! Sorry if anyone has felt got at, but this is an internet forum and if you didn't want it brought up don't post it up!
I note many of you have delved into my history (via the internet) you can do what you like, I've nothing to hide!
I'm sure I will see a few of you around some who live in the southwest (Rune, Tassle, Nippy ect) and maybe misflyn at the dog show, btw I have a beard now but might not by then!

My primary interest from the start (of my business) has been the dogs! People I can take or leave, I have had no interest in making friends or becoming infamous/famous through this, I like my job but am sure there are easier ways to make money. Certainly ways that won't get me hate mail or bitten or the terrible statement ''this is his last chance''. But what the hey, I'm in it now and won't back out, once again for the dogs.

Re dogsey, certainly a funny lot. I have seen some really cruel group mentality on here. Cyber bully really, I don't care but how must it come across to the casual observer?
Also your all stuck on how pro dog you are but really what do you do?
Imprison them to leads and lines for life, pts when they get to much to handle and pass it off as badly bred or whatever.
I think many people are well meaning but out of their depth with bad advice.
If you look at a lot of prominent pet owner posters they have one thing in common, months of positive training and very little progress.
I've yet to see any advice but very basic fluffy stuff either. There are pages of anti e collar crap but not one word about how to get the same result with food or toys.
At least I spell out my methods.
Mostly the advice seems to be about how to be a more benelovent prision guard to your dog than anything else.

Dogs/training in general, well wear to start. Several people have questioned the welfare of my techniques, yet at the same time rescues are full of dogs with mild issues that were dumped by owners who couldn't fix it, ten minutes with an e collar and I'd do more for these guys than many could do in a week.
Sadly most will be pts!

The dog world is changing people, apdt is a gonner, lots less members than before. The whole reward based movement is going nowhere fast, yeah you can do fancy tricks with lots of oc chat but you can't stop the dog going for the next scary one that comes along, whats the point in that.
Talk is cheap and no one cares about the journey except hikers!
In 10/15 years I think balanced training will rule, that means aversives mixed with reward based methods, you only have to look at the top sport trainers who use e collars and clickers to know this.

On the subject of e collars, We live in a society with less time to train and less space to exercise dogs. E collars reduce training time and increase exercise opportunities.
The price is dropping every year. Four years ago a average remote collar was a sizeable investment, now I click by it now without a thought.
By many peoples own admission the rise in tricky breeds is giving rise to e collars, huskys/mals in the hands of the general public are great as long as they have control, guess what gives them that and without a lifetime on the lines!
Wolfdogs ect are just the same.
Even the general person with a couple of labs is no longer able to risk a dodgy recall or keep them on lead for years, once again an e collar is the logical solution.

I wonder too how many of you dog lovers would kill you healthy pet instead of e collar train it? Maybe lots on here but out in the real world lots wouldn't!

Social acceptablty is geared by the society its in, right now I think things are changing. I talk to people about collars everyday and it gets easier every day to sell them on e collars.

Anyway I've said enough, keep an eye on my youtube and google my name anytime your interested to see what I'm up to.

Regards

Adam

LOL-----somewhat delusional methinks.

Sounds like someone else again.

Thanks Azz.

rune
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Pet owners won't have their membership withdrawn just because they use or advocate shock collars - but we are drawing the line when they can be classed as 'commercial/business' users.
I think that is a good decision because I feel that the majority of us don't want to be subjected to this rubbish.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
A wise decision Azz .

As far as possible I believe in free speech and if someone came on here and said they choked/electrocuted/kicked their dogs I would be disgusted and I would say so.
However if they then went on to call themselves a dog trainer and suggested such methods were a suitable way for other people to treat and train dogs and actually solicited clients that to me would be a different matter entirely.

There will no doubt be those who argue it is a matter of opinion what is or is not a safe method of training, but as far as I am aware no device or than the e collar has been as widely condemned as a training aid by all the main UK canine welfare organisations and a large number of training organisations including...
•British Small Animal Veterinary Association and British Veterinary Association
•Scottish SPCA
•Scottish Kennel Club
•Kennel Club
•Dogs Trust
•RSPCA
•Blue Cross
•Association of Pet Dog Trainers
•Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors
•The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
•Association of Chief Police Officers
•Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland
•UK Armed Forces

...not to mention the ban in Wales. I just hope a UK wide ban will follow .
Says it all really.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Fair enough, but I am happy to see that I will be able to continue to post the successes - and failures, if any - of our dog Ben having to suffer the cruelties of being zapped just twice.

Just as a reminder, it is over a week now since Ben had to have any form of correction whatsoever via his e collar.

How many of you can say that over the last week you have NEVER had to give your dog a correction - via his lead with a tug, or a choke chain if you use one.

Incidentally, I have been accused of the potential of not being truthful regarding the success of the e collar.

As I didn't have to post on Dogsey in the first place that OH had used an e collar on Ben, I find that insulting to say the least. One thing I can never be accused of is not being honest. I am open and up front about how I view dogs in general, but more particularly my dogs, and I have said that I will report any negativity, if any, that occurs. I am a maverick, I know, I do not care a fig what other people think about me, I do what I think is right for my dogs, whom I adore - even that little chihuahua belonging to my daughter (never thought I would ever admit that in public!!) - and I declared that my husband had used an e collar on Ben in full knowledge that I would get a slating. I don't have a problem whatsoever with that, but to be accused of hiding any negative problems that may crop up is just going too far.

I am not happy about that. I have said that I will report from time to time on h ow things are going, good or bad, and so I will. Tomorrow of course I am not at work, and I am looking forward to another brilliant time with my boys in the woods.
No, you didn't have to but you chose to start a thread, announcing your use of an e-collar on Ben, despite knowing how the majority felt about e-collars. Therefore, I'm afraid it is hard to feel sympathy with your complaint that you feel "insulted".
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
No, you didn't have to but you chose to start a thread, announcing your use of an e-collar on Ben, despite knowing how the majority felt about e-collars. Therefore, I'm afraid it is hard to feel sympathy with your complaint that you feel "insulted".
Hear, hear.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:19 PM
T

Regards

Adam
As an epitaph, that is pretty poor and not likely to convince anyone. I actually don't mind you because you talk rubbish, you ramble on about "science", despite having no scientific knowledge and you are quite pathetic really, going on about your beard, etc. You don't get results, you get poor excuses for training dogs, by your own admission on another thread (Jacca, who you tortured when there was no need).

A cruel technique, adopted by an inexperienced, uneducated guy - proved on this site - who fancies himself as a 'dog trainer', who has failed in kind techniques and who has thus adopted the use of e-collars as a lucrative business.

People beware.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

As has already been said - there's always something to debate on Dogsey
I basically said that, Azz, just that these kind of threads, e.g., e-collars, will shorten dramatically, once everyone has agreed. Can only be a good thing, in my opinion, rather than keep going round the buoy.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I just hope that the average pet owner, because of 'adam' doesn't get attacked due to the fact that we are all sensitive to the very mention of even the mildest adversives will be tarred & feathered if they even utter the word as ersibe or balanced training (which I use most of the time with my older dog).

But e collars & prongs are where I draw the line personally but I'm not going to fly off half cocked at someone just because they use a prong or a flat chain or even an e collar without knowing the whole story FIRST.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
But e collars & prongs are where I draw the line personally but I'm not going to fly off half cocked at someone just because they use a prong or a flat chain or even an e collar without knowing the whole story FIRST.
I think that's the same for most of us, and at least we can - hands on hearts - now say we have been 'educated' about e-collars in a way!

Adam was promoting them - and thereby himself and his services - to the denigration of other methods. That can't be right, and isn't a balanced view at all. It was, right from the start, merely self-promotion and if you were on other forums where he posts you would have seen him doing exactly the same - often butting in unwanted on threads with e-collar recommendations when the OP's were requesting positive training methods.

The only person I would ever listen to about e-collars would be an experienced, respected trainer who knows the ins and outs of ALL methods and has hundreds of successes under his/her belt with kind, effective positive methods. I don't think it's at all co-incidental, that trainers like that also happen to be anti e-collar.
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 >