View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Benji is terrified of balloons - anything I can do to help him get over his fear?

My neighbour had a party for her hubby last Saturday because he was 50. Next day she had loads of balloons over and asked if Rhianna wanted them. So I said yes and then had to say no because Benji is absolutely terrified of them and won't come into any room where there is one. So I thought he would be okay with an Helium one because they float and are not on the floor so I said yes she could have one of them.

Well Benji took one look at it and scarpered upstairs and wouldnt come down. I moved it in the kitchen and he came downstairs and went straight into the kitchen and looked up at it and then shot back upstairs again. I have now had to hide it at the back of the fridge. Its hard because my little girl loves balloons but I have to keep saying she can't have any because of Benji.

Is there anything I can do to help him get over his fear of them. I have not known him have a bad experience of them or anything so don't know why he is like this at all. I tried to get him to come and sniff the balloon whilst I held it but he wouldn't.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Balloons are not around every day so I wouldn't worry to much
perhaps put something tasty on one and see if that works
mine don't like balloons so we avoid them LOL
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:10 PM
aww poor benji it must be a real fright for him my two have always loved balloons they will cary one round on a stick,foxy have you shown him a deflated one let him get usd to the smell gradually blow it up small and let him have a sniff and keep doing this till it gets bigger cant think of anything else sorry im not much use but good luck
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Well I do try to avoid them but Rhianna is only 5 and she loves them and its a bit hard explaining why she can't have one in the house

At least he is not alone in his fear then if your dogs don't like them either - I have never had this problem with a dog before. I know they don't like them when they go bang but cant understand why they bother him so much.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
aww poor benji it must be a real fright for him my two have always loved balloons they will cary one round on a stick,foxy have you shown him a deflated one let him get usd to the smell gradually blow it up small and let him have a sniff and keep doing this till it gets bigger cant think of anything else sorry im not much use but good luck

Hey thats a good idea Jen - thanks for that - I have some 'hidden' in the cupboard so that Rhianna doesn't see them so I will try that
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Can't give any advice on this one Foxy, coz I have the same with Cassie, absolutely terrified, and I had the same with one of my previous dogs. I really don't know why, coz they never burst in front of either of them, they just didn't like them. Both dogs are also terrified of fireworks too?

I think that's a brilliant idea of Jen's coz maybe it's the smell of them? Or maybe smear something nice on it like Inca suggests, well do that bit after the deflated bit!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Can't give any advice on this one Foxy, coz I have the same with Cassie, absolutely terrified, and I had the same with one of my previous dogs. I really don't know why, coz they never burst in front of either of them, they just didn't like them. Both dogs are also terrified of fireworks too?

I think that's a brilliant idea of Jen's coz maybe it's the smell of them? Or maybe smear something nice on it like Inca suggests, well do that bit after the deflated bit!
Ok thanks Helen, sounds like a common problem then - I thought it was just him that was strange.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 08:23 PM
if my two see a balloon they want it even when they go bang they cant understand where its gone and go round looking for more i must have a pair of nutters on my hand no i have got a pair of nutters i can only suggest what i said cant think of anything else
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
if my two see a balloon they want it even when they go bang they cant understand where its gone and go round looking for more i must have a pair of nutters on my hand no i have got a pair of nutters i can only suggest what i said cant think of anything else

Yes its official Jen - you have a pair of nutters - a beautiful pair of nutters though
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2006, 06:25 AM
Think it may be easier to keep balloons away from Benji, dogs either love or hate them and as they are something it is easy to avoid if your dog hates them make his home balloon free zone