Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Joint supplement for dog with no problems

Okay,

Takara's 3.5 years old but has recently started doing flyball regularly, now does a lot more exercise because we're going more places now I have the scooter and she's having to run alongside it. We also train tricks as well so her joints are taking a lot of welly.

I wanted to put her on a joint supplement just to maintain her joints, she doesn't have any problems but I don't want to cause her problems.

Is this a good idea? What supplement would you suggest and at what dose for a young, fit dog just to keep her strong?

Thanks
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I really don't know the ramifications of joint supplements such as glucosamine/chondroitin for a dog that doesn't actually need it although I would be very interested to know.

Have you asked any vets yet?

The thing I think I would start is a good fish body oil for the omegas - Kronch seems to be the favourite around here!

You could also include between 200-400iu of vitamin E - said to help utilize the fish oil further (don't know if true or not) although Vit E is also linked to good joint health.

I wouldn't start Vit C tho - although linked to joint health, once you start you gradually reduce the dogs own ability to manufacture it's own vit C (which is what they do), so don't do that one!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I really don't know the ramifications of joint supplements such as glucosamine/chondroitin for a dog that doesn't actually need it although I would be very interested to know.

Have you asked any vets yet?

The thing I think I would start is a good fish body oil for the omegas - Kronch seems to be the favourite around here!

You could also include between 200-400iu of vitamin E - said to help utilize the fish oil further (don't know if true or not) although Vit E is also linked to good joint health.

I wouldn't start Vit C tho - although linked to joint health, once you start you gradually reduce the dogs own ability to manufacture it's own vit C (which is what they do), so don't do that one!
That's what I was concerned about.

I did phone my vet and asked if I could give her 'supplements' didn't specify which - and she said yes, it wouldn't do any harm... I've got to go to the vets tomorrow for Eddy's tablets so will ask then what may be best to use just thought I'd ask you peeps too.

Thanks for the advice, both the dogs are fed oily fish a couple of times a week for their coats and we do have some yumega but T doesn't like it so I'm going to get something else when I'm in a position to.

Thanks again
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I think if a dog eats a healthy well balanced diet it shouldn't need supplements unless it has a problem .
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I tend to agree, it's just that I've seen some feeds with joint maintenance properties in them for working dogs or dogs who are very active and mine are both on straight forward Burns together with oily fish a couple of times a week and whatever left overs we have (such as meat, veg and fruit - not the less healthy stuff!).

I would never forgive myself if she did develop joint/bone problems later in life due to me over working her and not providing the right nutrients/supplements. She's loving being more active and 'working' for me, but I don't want to jeopardise her health later in life (especially as Eddy has trouble with his joints and has had since we got him).
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
The trouble is I personally have a fairly dim view of the knowledge levels of many mainstream vets. Don't bash me, it's just my experience - they're great for putting our pets back together yet often don't seem to be able to advise properly on the finer points.

So, that said, unless you are lucky and have a really knowledgeable vet I'm not sure you'll get the considered reply you're looking for.

I haven't actually looked, however I did read somewhere that the joint maintenance supplements put in food were often not in high enough concentrations to be significant - so if that is true I suspect it might be more gimick related than anything else.

I did hear that JWB adds Green Lipped Mussel to their food, again I don't know quantity. GLM is actually a good one and could be a possibility - my Healthspan pot states "our extract contains nine classes of glycosaminoglycans in a balanced combination to help maintain active joints"

I would do some internet research on taking joint supplements (not necessarily on dogs as what is said for humans generally applies to dogs), and then take it from there.

I'm very interested though - please do come back and tell us what you find out.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I've been giving Gels fish oil capsules for years now, the last time we were at the vet (about 5 months ago) I mentioned that I was thinking of giving her a glucosamine tablet as well ( the same ones that my daughter takes). The vet said to "go for it, cant hurt to cover all options".So I'm guessing it should be ok!
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Glucosamine and Chondroitin can do no harm. I have taken it for years - I didn't need it when I started and I don't know if I do now because I have no joint problems at all. Our dogs have it with no ill effects and it has improved Jodie's quality of life as she was getting really stiff 2 winters ago.
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Glucosamine and Chondroitin can do no harm.
I agree. It can also do a great deal of good and I would recommend it. My dogs have it as soon as they reach middle age. They have had no ill effects at all over the years.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >