Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sleepy wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Do I seperate a neauterd male and whole bitch

Advice please as I need to know before she comes into season. My Mal Indi is 1 and has not been spayed, this is because of irregular spotting and on vets recommendation to wait until after her next season. After this she will be spayed. My rescue Maverick is 2 and neutered. When Indi comes into season should I separate I know they can't have pups but will he hound her relentlessly could he hurt her.
I know they will proberly hump but is there anything I need to watch for phantom etc.
Sorry if this sounds daft but only ever had one dog at a time before so this is all new.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
As far as I'm aware, now minus his testosterone, he shouldn't want to mount your girl, in which case, no problem.
Observe him closely though, as if he does mount, penetration is possible (he has only lost his testicles, and can still get an erection) and there is then the risk of physical damage to either. Pregnancy, however is very unlikely.
Phantoms could occur at any time after a season, irrespective of whether a male is present or not.
HTH
Mary
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Neutered males can and do mate bitches, someof them are as obsessed with females in season as the entire ones. I would play it by ear, if he annoys her, seperate them. You sould be fine for a week or so, but certainly when you are not around Id seperate them.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Neutered males can and do mate bitches, someof them are as obsessed with females in season as the entire ones. I would play it by ear, if he annoys her, seperate them. You sould be fine for a week or so, but certainly when you are not around Id seperate them.
Thanks Dawn
I have only been around those that don't ...but was pretty sure its possible. Guess it depends on the dog......
Mary
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with Borderdawn. We have had a neutered male tie with an in-season female. They may be firing blanks, but sometimes the gun still makes a loud "bang!"
If your male shows too much interest, I would separate them.

Mick
sleepy wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice peeps I will keep a close eye on them. Indi is due to come into season end of July fingers crossed all go's well and she can be spayed soon after.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I agree with Borderdawn. We have had a neutered male tie with an in-season female. They may be firing blanks, but sometimes the gun still makes a loud "bang!"If your male shows too much interest, I would separate them.

Mick
pmsl x
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Would an un spayed bitch if covered by a nutered boy be more likely to look for a mate in future seasons ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I`ve had an entire bitch and 2 neutered males. The boys didn`t bother until the bitch was well into her season. Then it was just humping the cushions for a day till they caught on and I had to separate them because the female will not tolerate approaches until she`s ready, and can get quite aggressive if they continue. When she is ready you need to separate then as well as they will just continue humping until the dog or bitch is exhausted and sore. It wouldn`t be kind to leave them together as they have no `finish` as it were.
I would imagine each dog is different in amount of interest though.
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
My bitch has just been spayed and have 2 neutered males. I was told that castration takes away the abilty to produce babies but not the urge.
If she had come into season I would have seperated them as its better to be safe than sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >