Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nope no testing of the Badgers! She has been breeding Jerseys for over 30yrs, poor "Robin" was 11yrs old and born there, she was a pet, and was shot because of this, now they are awaiting the 60 days for the tests on the others. They are besides themselves.
I am so sorry for your friends, I can only imagine what they have gone through, and must still be going through

Fingers crossed that the others come back clear.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I've mixed feelings on this, I have heard about one cull before, I don't know all the ins and outs, but the level of cows who got TB didn't change after the cull had taken place, it kind of seems like a witch hunt, if it was based on more info, and the badgers were tested to determine whether they were passing it on, and was proved that it is happening then I would be more behind it, but until then I'm on the fence, I'm sure if I was a farmer though I'd want to do all I can to protect my cattle.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Scientists do NOT support this because there is no concrete evidence that it is badgers to blame!!

Deer can carry it, for god sake cattle carry it.

Trust you to wheep with joy Borderdawn.

Everyone weep for the cattle farmers. British wildlife suffers.

Until Scientific evidence proves beyond a doubt then I am sorry, this horrific blaming and culling of a british mammal makes me sick. It didn't work in Ireland when they had the trials there. In fact incidents of Bovine TB ROSE higher.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 07:15 AM
I've done a bit of digging on this, trying to find out some more things about badger culling, and seeing if it actually helps anything, and it seems that its not cost affective, and is not a affective way of stopping the disease in the long term.

Widespread and repeated culls reduced the numbers of infected cattle, but the disease returned to its original level four years after the programme ended, scientists found. Managing badger populations to stop them spreading TB to cattle cost more than the impact of the disease, researchers from Imperial College and the Zoological Society of London said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...e-tuberculosis

This one is three years old, but intresting I think,

Culling badgers to reduce the incidence of bovine tuberculosis (TB) among farm cattle may in fact worsen the spread of the disease, according to a study of the disease's prevalence among different badger groups.
http://www.nature.com/news/2007/0702...s070212-2.html

And this, its by a badger protection group, but still intresting in this case I feel,

Northern Ireland is the only region in Great Britain and Ireland not to have engaged in badger culling. It is also the only region to have achieved a sustained fall in bTB infection in cattle, with the incidence of the disease reduced by 50% since 2002. By contrast, the Republic of Ireland has suffered a 13% increase of bTB in the national herd since badger culling was intensified over the same period. More:
http://badger-killers.co.uk/n_ireland.html

Although I tried to clink on the link in that site, and my computer wouldn't allow it, maybe someone else's might?

But it appears from that, that badger culling is not affective, has anyone got anything that proves otherwise, as it may be intresting to read both sides of this argument.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:04 AM
That is interesting Chaz.

I found this in favour of a cull, but who is right? It is a very sensitive subject all round.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...scientist.html

His findings, which are backed by senior scientists from Britain and Ireland and by the chief vet, Debby Reynolds, say that cattle movements alone cannot explain the persistence of TB in certain areas or its spread over the last decade.

The occurrence of these compartmentalised areas of disease in areas of the country where there are the largest number of badgers which persist despite measures to control TB in cattle, "provides a good indication of a wildlife reservoir of infection," says Sir David.

TB has not been controlled in other countries without addressing the wildlife reservoir, concludes his report.

Sir David said destroying badgers should be done humanely and "within conservation considerations" and options such as vaccination should be pursued in the long term.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:09 AM
And this ...

http://www.farmingmonthly.co.uk/the-...dger-cull.html

(it won't let me cut and paste from this page.)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I think both sides need to be working towards having a healthy cattle and badger population living alongside each other, as one of the articles says.

However, with the high emotion that surrounds such a cull (as well as the £££ lost in compensation to farmers) will anyone ever be independent enough to make the right decision?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:22 AM
I think that this is one of the things were no-one really knows the right answer, or who to listen too, as this is a native creature, which if I'm right is protected in areas? Then its going to cause lots of emotion as to what is the right thing, but it seems that people are either on the side that of the farmers, or the badgers to begin with, maybe we need a scientist from else where who might be more non-biased it would be nice to be able to control bTB without a cull, and it would be ideal for badgers and cows to be able to live happily next to each other without the disease looming over their heads.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Sorry for being thick, but how is reducing a population size going to eradicate a disease?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 10:41 AM
It is thought that the badgers can carry the disease so they can transport it from one area to the other, where-ever they go, add in males that are looking for females so moving around, that area can increase, thats what I get anyway, but its also why its thought that a cull may increase the diesease as the badgers terrioty increases, as there is less competition, or the badgers move from the danger zone to the outside of the cull zone, as the badgers who are affected/carry it could move elsewhere and take the disease with them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2