Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:03 AM

I think it is coming back...

Some of you will know about jakes problem with his skin on his face, and ear infections…

Well, I think it is back… but not as bad and slightly different This is the thread that describe what it was like before… http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=118128

He was given drops for his ears, and stronghold for his skin. While he had those problems, he had little teeny bald bits on the end of his ears, which I thought were the same thing. he had his last dose of the stronghold on Wednesday, and his eyes have all cleared up and the hair is just about all back. But over the past 2 or 3 days, I have noticed the baldy bits on his ears getting a lot bigger and have become red. The skin looks very dry…

He has also begun to get teeny bald bits either side of his muzzle, and that looks red as well… I just don’t know what this is now! his ear infection is also back in both ears, and so I started his drops again tonight… his eyes are completely clear, and now this has started… it just seems never ending. Any idea what all this could be?? could it be the same thing but just a different form? or something else? i think this will definitely be another trip to the vets

i have taken pics to show what it is like, so will post them once they have loaded onto photobucket.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I just had a quick read of the thread...

Did you ever get an actual diagnosis of what the problem was? not just "some kind of mite"? they generally need to analyze a skin scraping under a microscope to identify the problem.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Right side of his face…

left side, not as bad but looks like its starting near his nose…

right ear…

left ear…
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:17 AM
That's a pain, I would be taking him back to the vet and see what they say, it is not good that as soon as you stop treatment it is coming back, sometimes it can look like things have cleared up but need a few weeks more treatment, what did the vet say it was last time? Might be worth getting a skin scraping. or it could be an allergy?
Let us know how you go? Such a worry
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I just had a quick read of the thread...

Did you ever get an actual diagnosis of what the problem was? not just "some kind of mite"? they generally need to analyze a skin scraping under a microscope to identify the problem.
nope, we never got an actual diagnosis which i wasnt too happy with and i said at the time that coz she didnt test to see what it was, we could end up treating him for the wrong thing... i also wasnt impressed coz she had the briefest two second look at him, and he was excited so how she got to see it properly with him jumping about i have no idea so i dont know if it was a mite or not...

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
That's a pain, I would be taking him back to the vet and see what they say, it is not good that as soon as you stop treatment it is coming back, sometimes it can look like things have cleared up but need a few weeks more treatment, what did the vet say it was last time? Might be worth getting a skin scraping. or it could be an allergy?
Let us know how you go? Such a worry
i know, im going to give them a call tomorrow, and maybe take him to a different vets. i havent been happy with the vets, and people i have spoken to always say change vets if you arent happy coz you dont want to put your dogs (or other animals) health in the hands of someone you dont feel right about. this will be the third time he has had it, so i want to get to the bottom of it! he is only 10 months old! (although, embarrassingly enough i spent a month telling people he was 11 months before i realised that wasnt possible coz his birthday isnt till the 26th of march )

the vet last time said it was a 'some kind of mite' i keep thinking an allergy but i dont know...
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:52 AM
aww the poor boy that looks really sore for him lets hope the vets can get to the bottom of it and get it sorted out quickly for him

oh and dont worry i did the same thing with rubys age i thought that she was a month older than what she was because i worked it out on a 4 week basis like we get paid at work, i had her birthday in march and thought thats odd because i got her after my nephews birthday in may which made her birthday april i felt such a wally
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by loufoxyloxy View Post
aww the poor boy that looks really sore for him lets hope the vets can get to the bottom of it and get it sorted out quickly for him

oh and dont worry i did the same thing with rubys age i thought that she was a month older than what she was because i worked it out on a 4 week basis like we get paid at work, i had her birthday in march and thought thats odd because i got her after my nephews birthday in may which made her birthday april i felt such a wally
me too... just want to get to the bottom of this.

lol, well last week (after telling a guy in the park jake was 11 months, and it suddenly dawning on me it was 2 months till his birthay) i worked out that jake was 44 weeks old, so i just divided that by 4... and got 11 so was mighty confused and so i asked my dad... and he reminded me that jake wasnt 1 month old what he was born... and that there are 52 weeks in the year, so what happened to the other 4
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Poor Jake.
Is he fidgety and excitable at the vet? If he is, I would also print the photos and take them in, it might help.
Good luck with your appointment.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Oh dear. I do hope you get to the bottom of it this time. It looks so uncomfortable. Is it very itchy? I would think sarcoptic mange judging by the location and the crustyness/redness. We treat that with Revolution here, but I don't think you guys have that in the UK, if so, not sure its called the same thing. Lot of help I am Good luck at the vets!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks sore. If you don't want to change vets why don't you just ask them to do a skin scraping? I would expect they'd want to do one anyway as the condition hasn't cleared.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >