Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Poor Lucky (Hamster)

My daughter took on 2 rescue hamsters just over a year ago, they were 2 years old when she got them and one kept falling over when it walked and the other had a large growth, they wern't expected to live more than a month or two at the most.
But my daughter got them better cages and put them on a good diet and they picked up. The growth dissapeared and the other one stopped falling over. They ran around enjoying life like youngsters again.
One lasted till a month ago and the other one last night when being cleaned out didn't come out of his house. On looking my daughter found him still alive but obviously dying. She was so distraught (she always blames herself) and says its because she hadn't given them the usual attention the past couple of weeks as she has been revising for her college AS exams. I tried to tell her its because he is now over 3 yrs old and his body was shutting down through old age ready to pass. She won't have it.
I am now trying to pluck up courage (I am terrified of hamsters) to go and see if he has passed as I don't really want to put the poor lad through the trauma of going to the vets to be helped on his way.
She has another young hamster as well now which she rescued off some girls at college a few months back when they bought it for a laugh one lunch time and then threw it in the bin, when lessons started.
She is going today, after saving for a few months, to get him this huge luxery cage for £75. She doesn't know yet as she is still £10 short for it, but I hope if I give her the £10 it will help her feel better about little Lucky and realise how she really does care about her animals welfare.
Now just hoping little Lucky has passed peacefully during the night so he can be buried with his brother.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh bless, Bev. Give Charly a hug for me - she obviously has a heart of gold.....

x0x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Poor Charly, I can sympathise with her, whenever i lost anything (even now) I always blamed myself.

((((( hugs)))))) to her
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:39 AM
That's a very good age so tell her she has done everything she can and well done on rescuing yet another poor baby hammy.
Becky
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I love hamsters but they don't live long
Your daughter has done really well to get them to live to such a great age x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Dear Lucky had passed this morning and is now at peace. RIP little man.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:38 PM
AWwwwwww. Bless. RIP Lucky xxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Thanks everyone. Dear Lucky had passed this morning and is now at peace. RIP little man.
R.I.P Little Man x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 07:39 PM
RIP Little Man xxxx
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Bless your daughter for having such a kind heart. My sympathies to all, my sons hamster had to be pts a few months ago, she was old but had stopped eating and drinking and was suffering. My son was terribly upset, we weren't going to have another one but we did in the end and we now have a cute boy called Chewy (the girl was Nibbles) Hugs to you and your daughter x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >