Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I don't necessarily think using corrections for one problem leads to the dog living its life shut down and in fear to be honest. A last resort is just that, a last resort. And imo for a behaviour to be problematic enough to require a last resort it's gotta be really serious and affecting the life of the dog badly. And of course other methods should be ruled out first.

I'm still not sure whether I actually could have gone through with the device that shall not be mentioned with Rupert. In a way I was actually quite glad when I was told it was extremely unlikely to be effective

I suppose in Ruperts case my last resort was management since there was literally no other option short of putting him to sleep.
It depends on the situtation, for you with Rupert, if you could manage the environment then that was a workable last resort. His "issue" didn't effect his quality of life as a whole?

For PTS, I was thinking maybe like a seriously human aggressive dog? But again it depends on the dog, and how the owner can cope.....

Too.....Many.....Variables!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Very much agree with this - if the problem was that bad that the dog had NO quality of life.....

Again, it depends though on the individual circumstances of the dog.
Yes of course, that is the most important thing here

Just a little point here

Really the last resort is just the thing that works dosent have to be cruel or extream or anything - but you dont look for another training method if the one you have used works

Unfortunatly tho many people say they have tried 'everything' with their dog and are now doing something nasty as 'the last resort'
But more often than not what they mean is they have tried what has worked with a different dog, then they have tried shouting a bit, or possibly waving a treat under the dogs nose - but they have not really tried all that much

(saying MOST people, i know some people on here have really tried different thing)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 03:07 PM
It depends on the situtation, for you with Rupert, if you could manage the environment then that was a workable last resort. His "issue" didn't effect his quality of life as a whole?
Ruperts sheep chasing meant he was stuck on a leash in the garden as well as out on walks. We had sheep living in a field at the end of the street (3 houses away) and in a field opposite the houses behind us. It was manageable but it was also highly stressful as I was well aware that if management failed for whatever reason then he'd be off worrying sheep. I was even scared to have the windows open unless he was leashed or crated in case he went out of the window. It wasn't just sheep either, it was anything that wasn't human and it wasn't just chasing, he was intent on killing.

As I say, I'm not sure whether or not I would have gone through with it but him stopping chasing would have given him a far better quality of life than he had. However, given his history and the number of successful kills he'd had I was told there was practically no chance of success so I opted not to even try. If I had I would have gone into it knowing full well I was going to hurt my dog and would have felt terrible about it but if in the long run it had meant he had a better life...well, who knows whether I'd have gone through with it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Vaccinations, microchipping are but two (of many) examples of things that cause "discomfort" to dogs, but most of us carry these out on our dogs.
I would consider vaccination to be a medical necessity and nothing to do with training so in this instance a little discomfort is unavoidable. I don't feel my circumstances warrant having my dogs micro chipped .
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Ruperts sheep chasing meant he was stuck on a leash in the garden as well as out on walks. We had sheep living in a field at the end of the street (3 houses away) and in a field opposite the houses behind us. It was manageable but it was also highly stressful as I was well aware that if management failed for whatever reason then he'd be off worrying sheep. I was even scared to have the windows open unless he was leashed or crated in case he went out of the window. It wasn't just sheep either, it was anything that wasn't human and it wasn't just chasing, he was intent on killing.

As I say, I'm not sure whether or not I would have gone through with it but him stopping chasing would have given him a far better quality of life than he had. However, given his history and the number of successful kills he'd had I was told there was practically no chance of success so I opted not to even try. If I had I would have gone into it knowing full well I was going to hurt my dog and would have felt terrible about it but if in the long run it had meant he had a better life...well, who knows whether I'd have gone through with it.
I think your is an excellent example to think about

What did you do in the end up, did you just decide to keep him leashed? Did this stress him out a lot?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I think your is an excellent example to think about

What did you do in the end up, did you just decide to keep him leashed? Did this stress him out a lot?
He ended up just staying on leash whenever out of the house. I rigged up a tie out in the garden for him so that he could go out and sunbathe on nice days without being able to get anywhere near the low fencing. He created holy hell whenever we passed the sheep though and there was literally no way to avoid them. I'd end up half carrying half dragging this screaming dog along while he fought with all his might to get loose and get at the sheep. He also became more reactive to other animals while living there so I do think there was some stress involved.

Obviously I wouldn't have chosen to live so close to sheep with a known sheep worrier but it was a case of either living there or being homeless. We managed but it was so much better when we moved.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Celt shot of to chase the sheep from the garden----but I don't think the collar would have worked so well on Rupert---different dogs, different histories, different agendas.

rune
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I know of someone who had persistent difficulties with their dog taking off towards other dogs when off-lead, with the dog going into herding mode every time it spotted other dogs... sometimes nipping to get the other dogs to play.

Recall training was 100% without that distraction but soon as a dog appeared, it all went out of the window.

However, with most dogs it was a friendly encounter 9/10 and then the 10th would lead to a brief but bloodless scrap which upset the owners of the other dog. So while that didn't justify keeping the dog on the lead all the time it also didn't proof against the one in ten.

She bought a spray collar which had a beep function, didn't load it with any spray to start with, and found that the beep was enough to break the dog's fixation and head back to Mum for a treat - kind of like a clicker in reverse. The beep was paired strongly with a big liver cake bonanza, and that seems to be all the dog needed, a non aversive reminder on the few occasions when it went into overdrive.
Why not just train the dog to recall to a whistle?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Celt shot of to chase the sheep from the garden----but I don't think the collar would have worked so well on Rupert---different dogs, different histories, different agendas.

rune
Yeah, I spoke to a few trainers, just asking their opinions, and all said basically the same thing, with his history there was practically no chance.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Why not just train the dog to recall to a whistle?
Same as already stated. Without the presence of other dogs, recall was 100% with a whistle. The pager on the collar seemed to break through the dog's determination in a way that external signals couldn't. I should add the owners were so desperate by this stage they were considering the spray collar charged up as a last resort... But all it needed was the beep to interrupt and that paired with reinforcement was enough.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >