View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Eastbourne might be yours---Mablethorpe is mine!

LOL.

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What would be your last resort training methods??

I know its an open question .....
It would depend on too many different factors to be able to give a black and white "yes or no" answer.........

What exactly the training method was in the first place? Then the individual dog, what it could cope with, what I could cope with, how much I trusted the trainer, how much I thought it would help the dog's welfare as a whole, what the issue was in the first place, whether I could carry through the training in day to day life, how much of a liability the dog was.........to many variables!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Walloping a wall with a folded newspaper shouting Naughty Naughty Wall! As my very dim hunting dog stared carefully at the wall and decided to let me go first then because it was obviously a Very Dangerous Wall.
LOL to that as well My friends pointer is deaf and her last resort sign is to palm her forehead several times. I nearly knocked myself out when I did it!

rune
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Kibo's main problem has been not stopping barking when I'm preparing food in the kitchen, it doesn't matter whether it's been mine or his

I tried clicker training with "quiet" and "speak " commands but he was so fixated on the treat that the barking became louder and more persistent. Just ignoring the unwanted behaviour wasn't working either.

Last week he wound me up so much that I stopped dead in my tracks, put down the knife that I was cutting stuff up with and said to him " you'll go in your bed if you don't be quiet"

Blow me down, he shut up straightaway and it's still working!

Not sure if that counts as a last resort training method, but it's the only one that's worked for that particular problem
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 10:48 AM
It would honestly depend on the individual dog, the problem and what had been tried already. I looked into those devices that shall not be mentioned for Ruperts sheep chasing as it affected his quality of life in quite a big way.

I have no idea what a last resort would be with Spencer to be honest. I don't see any of his behaviours as problematic enough to require a last resort of any sort.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL to that as well My friends pointer is deaf and her last resort sign is to palm her forehead several times. I nearly knocked myself out when I did it!

rune
can you imagine seeing someone doing that in the park????
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I cannot comment as I have never been in the situation (luckily) where I have thought "This is the last resort".

I do not have an imaginary line over which I would never cross.

IME in other areas of life, those lines are a "moveable feast".

So I guess my answer would have to be a very unsatisfactory, "it depends", on the dog and the circumstances.

Vaccinations, microchipping are but two (of many) examples of things that cause "discomfort" to dogs, but most of us carry these out on our dogs.

Because we think they are necessary............... so until and unless faced with a particular situation I think the only pragmatic attitude is to say "never say never".

Ditto. I think one cannot always know until one is actually in the situation.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I guess the last resort is rehoming or PTS

Otherwise there is always something else to try

If the question is would as a last reasort I turn to harsh abuse methods - NO if I agreed with them at all I wouldnt leave them to last reasort
I dont use them because they are dangerous and dont work for the reasons I would want

I would prefer a dog pts than live a life shut down and in fear
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I would prefer a dog pts than live a life shut down and in fear
Very much agree with this - if the problem was that bad that the dog had NO quality of life.....

Again, it depends though on the individual circumstances of the dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't necessarily think using corrections for one problem leads to the dog living its life shut down and in fear to be honest. A last resort is just that, a last resort. And imo for a behaviour to be problematic enough to require a last resort it's gotta be really serious and affecting the life of the dog badly. And of course other methods should be ruled out first.

I'm still not sure whether I actually could have gone through with the device that shall not be mentioned with Rupert. In a way I was actually quite glad when I was told it was extremely unlikely to be effective

I suppose in Ruperts case my last resort was management since there was literally no other option short of putting him to sleep.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >