View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wuzzles
New Member!

11-04-2005, 12:56 PM

hypothirodism

Hi just wanted to know if anyone else out there has a dog with hypothiroidism,my 4year old american cocker spaniel has just started treatment after months of worrying and tests to get to the route of his problems.

would love to hear other views on it and chat about the progress
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Hello

Touch wood I have no personal experience with hypothyroidism, but it does seem to be becoming more prevalent in my breed (Boxers). I believe it can take quite a lot of testing before a definitive diagnosis is reached as the results of some of the tests are not always easy to read correctly?

Now that your dog's problem has been identified the treatment should help a great deal.

Do keep us informed of how he is getting on.

SB
Boxerbonkers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi there my boxer girl has just developed this prob. The vet sent away the blood test took about a week to come back. She is on Thyroxin now she will be checked monthly to make sure she is on the correct dosage. She started tabs. app. a month ago and I see the difference already. She will have to stay on the meds for life.
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2005, 07:41 AM
hi my last old girl (boxer) was diagnosed with this after many months and tests. she was 12 years old when she was diagnosed and went on to Thyroxin which sorted her out great she had put on a bit of weight and had hair loss but after she started tablets this slowely sorted it out sadly she had to be put to sleep when she was 15 this was unconnected and due to very bad seizures that couldnt be controlled
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
I had an Afghan who was hypo-thyroid whose only signs were repetative corneal ulcers. She was put onto soloxine and did well but went on to develop other auto-immune problems and congestive heart dissease.

I hope your pets continue to do well.