Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Fed up with comments whilst walking

Me and the hound quite often go down to the park for a stretch in the morning and then walk back along the housing estates and nine out of ten times get stopped loads by people wanting to say hello.

Anyway i took him for a stroll last night and this guy asks if he can say hello so as always i said it was fine. The usual "how old is he", "how big will he be", "how long have you had him" questions flocked in and then the bloke says to me "You do realise a dog is for life and not just for Xmas"

He's not the first to do it either, i'd say its about the 10th person to say it. I know time of year comes into it and probably wouldn't get the same comments in the summer but god its annoying.

Rich just laughs it off usually and says people do it because we're a young couple and they assume we're not committed enough. It reallys wind me up though!!

Sorry to rant on but had to get that off my chest with people who will understand!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:07 PM
How very patronising! That would get on my nerves too. Yes, I know how it is to be judged, but when you look youthful and have stunning dogs, folk are bound to be jealous!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I wouldnt get wound up by it, In one way its good to know people care enough to say things like that, Yes it may feel a bit Patronising, but I wouldnt let it upset you, it may just be because hes a puppy, Just say something like,

Yes I had realised that when the last one lived for 12 xmas days! And there was me thinking by mid jan it would just vanish in a puff of blue smoke

even if you didnt have a dog before.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes unfortunatly people do judge you by how you look...just ignore it!!!

I always get " oh youve got your hands full" cos i have kids and dogs! But what people dont see is that my dogs get walked twice a day, are well trained and live a life of luxury!
They think cos i have kids my dogs must be neglected( actually its the kids lol!!!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Like others have said although it's very patronising in a way it's nice to know that people care ( either that or they are just taking the p**s !)
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:26 PM
i get the same- with two gsds and a almost 2 year old son people are always saying 'you have your hands full' at first i just smiled and said 'yeh' but now i just haver to bite my tongue as the same people say it every time i see them.! why i dont know as the dogs are always well behaved especially when ive got my son with them!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I get "you have your hands full there" all the time when out with two rotties and no kid lol I think its just that people assume rotties are a handful,

I also get " hope you can hold on to them"

normaly I say, "why? are they going somewhere other than sat at my feet"

the funny think is, its normaly someone walking a small dog thats straining at the end of a lead yapping at my lot that says it
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Next time i go I'm thinking of wearing the car sticker we got through the post for the Dogs Trust saying "Dogs are for Life not just for Xmas"!!

I suppose i should get used to it as judged by Montys rate of growth and some of the posts above looks like i've got "can you handle him" to look forward to as well!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 04:33 PM
LOL....esmed.you are not alone...when my pack goes to town the folks dont shut up!!!!some grap there children some cross the road and some ask if they bite!!!!!well of course they do...there dogs !!!!!!i took as tough as my dogs and thats sterieo typical...LOL....i understand it all butwhen you have gladiatior dogs people assume you sell drugs,rape ,murder and plunder...when you get a pup for x-mas...you got that on a whim,your kid wanted one, so you gave in.......i understand you compleatly...there i feel better now to.....rant and rave ..it feels good...phil...scary eh!!!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 04:44 PM
emagine..... a yorkie hanging off my amstaffs lips!,we were at a park where all dogs must be leashed,this little guy tore off after my guy and he took this little dog crap.the owner freaked out as i unclipped my boy.i told them to calm down,yours is not on a leash, they got the picture!!!the dogs played and i educated them on there behaviour...they]now seek me out for dog advice and have become friends.......these are the lips i was talkig about
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »