Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Two dogs: twice as much work/cost?

What is the reality of having 2 dogs compared to one?
I'd love a companion for Loki and have seen a couple of dogs come up recently that got me thinking about getting another. He adores other dogs and I think it would make him happy to have a friend around during the day but am worried about the implications of having two.
Obviously it would mean twice the cost of a kennel/dog boarding and dog walking, and its got to be harder to onvince family to look after two. Monetary cost has got to go up.
Would you recommend getting another dog?
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Didn't notice much difference apart from food costs. Rather than Cheeko always wanting us to play with him and give him company he has Blu instead and he seems alot happier since we got him. Actually wish we got a 2nd dog years ago now but of course then we wouldn't have Blu
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2010, 11:42 AM
If you want to test out how you, how Loki would cope. You should try fostering a dog from a rescue. I was stuck in the same positon last year, as Zeus just loves other dogs. We had 5 stay here in total. Then I had Momo in, who had the same energy levels and they really got on. She just slotted into family life a treat. So it's also a really nice way of finding a perfect match for you and yout dog.

I actually haven't found it any harder. I get more kisses, cuddles and just love seeing them play together.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Double the amount of poo to collect but other than obvious costs I didn't really notice much difference going from 1 to 2. Training can be a bit more of a challenge as they are both keen to please I ask one to do something and the other is turning cartwheels to get noticed and have some of that treat too
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Insurance costs double, of course. But it`s twice the fun.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I got another dog 4 months ago, no different to having one regarding walking etc but double the amount of poo to pick up, double insurance, had to economise on food so have gone cheaper but still good quality and in the process of going raw now. oh and i had to get a bigger car !
Laine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I got my second pup just two days ago and apart from the obvious costs ie food and insurance I don't think there is alot of difference.

Its so much fun taking two out for walks and as someone else mentioned they play with each other at home and so get alot more stimulation
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I have 3 dogs now and as said before I get triple cuddles/kisses/etc.
I think if you have any BUT's then maybe it's not the right time yet
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Well I've gone from one to five dogs!! Yes it's more expensive with food, vets etc but oh so worth it.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 03:53 PM
For me, the only issue having two is walking two large strong breeds, when one can be a bit naughty, luckily the good one goes offlead so I can concentrate on training the naughty one!

Luckily my partner walks them both at 6 am each morning weekdays, and we walk them both together afternoons/evening and weekends.

Moneywise - we really didn't notice a difference, except we run out of food and treats quicker!

Mess wise round the house, space - no difference (they cuddle up in the same bed!).

You feel less guily leaving them alone in the house, and you get to buy a bigger, better car! Go for it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >