Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Scoutie
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Dogmatic Collar & Lead

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have a lovely 3 yo terrier about 25 lbs, who is very friendly and active. But, when it comes to dogs she does not know, she becomes the crouching tiger and launches a very loud with teeth showing attack (thankfully she has not bit anyone) and shows no other aggression otherwise. We live in the USA, in the state of Maryland. I've read about the dogmatic collar and would like to try, but cannot find how to purchase for delivery to the USA. Although I realize that training is needed, this collar appears to allow for a better training to begin. Not sure why this is not offered in the USA. Has anyone been able to get one in the USA, i'm looking for a size 1? Please let me know, and or please share stories that have worked to counter this reactive aggression. Thanks in advance!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I've used the dogmatic headcollar and lead on mine. However there is a dangly bit that they chewed relentlessly and it was always in the cobblers being stitched. I used a gentle leader as a stop gap and have stayed with it. Nothing against the dogmatic, apart from the dangly bit that got chewed all the time, and they are quite expensive to replace.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Do you mean the Dogmatic headcollar? There are other kinds of headcollars available and pretty sure you will have a range available in the USA to try too.
Scoutie
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your responses. Yes, I have tried the gentle leader and harnesses, neither have given me much control - so am looking for what's been getting good reviews, but can't seem to find it available in the USA - was hoping maybe someone had more success.
Scoutie
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for response. For us the gentle leader didn't work as well, may be due to her size.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Maybe try eBay UK have seen them for sale on there and maybe they will post to us good luck
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Heard an interesting point of view on head collars the other night. I attended a talk by a man who does canine physiotherapy (couple of Dogsey members will know him). He sees a lot of dogs with neck injuries as a result of using these and stated it was down to using them on normal leads, where in fact it would be better to use them with a traffic lead - benefits being no jerking when the dog lunges forward and the dog is taught to be close to you.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I have thought that myself about them, but with dogs the size and weight of mine, if I have got 2 of them out together and they decided to go, there is not a chance I could stop them, they would take me with them, with gentle leaders the problem never arises and they can't pull. I am careful about how I use them because I have thought that if used in a heavy handed manner they could cause neck problems.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I have thought that myself about them, but with dogs the size and weight of mine, if I have got 2 of them out together and they decided to go, there is not a chance I could stop them, they would take me with them, with gentle leaders the problem never arises and they can't pull. I am careful about how I use them because I have thought that if used in a heavy handed manner they could cause neck problems.
This is the reason my labs had them. It wasn't that they pulled but if they wanted to go me at 12 years old when I first had them couldn't have stopped them. It's also why Malcolm now wears one, if he pulls me my knackered knee is too likely to give way and since he's dog reactive on lead it's the only way to hold him back safely.

As for buying them abroad it might be worth emailing the people at dogmatic and asking if they have any suppliers over there or if they would do a one off delivery as long as you pay delivery costs.
Scoutie
New Member!
Female 

02-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Would still like to try one. I have tried to contact them directly, have not yet heard back. I will check eBay, and will also look at a traffic lead. Thanks all!