View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Is it acceptable to assist puppy farmers in disposing of their unwanted stock.

This is a debate in response to another thread in which it was pointed out that dealing directly with puppy farmers and helping them to dispose of their unwanted stock although well meaning can have consequences for many other dogs and puppies.
I appreciate many people have strong views on this subject and hope people will express their views while at the same time respecting the views of others.
I think this is an important subject for discussion and might even result in further action being taken to prevent the dreadful trade of Puppy Farming.

With regard to trading with puppy farmers and those they supply when purchasing a puppy, the advice given by many is don't do it, seek out a reputable breeder.
The Dogs Trust say..
''The most effective thing is pretty simple – don’t buy a puppy from a puppy farm. Hit them where it hurts – in their pockets!''

and the RSPCA say ..

''Concerned about the welfare of a puppy?
Never buy a puppy just because you feel sorry for it. If you are concerned about the health or welfare of a puppy, please contact the RSPCA 24-hour cruelty and advice line: 0300 1234 999. Calls are treated in the strictest confidence
.''

Should this advice be ignored when it comes to the disposal of unwanted breeding stock or should it still apply.
This is a quote from a dog magazine,

''Compassionate people who see a puppy or older dog in a bad situation will be motivated to "rescue" that dog from it’s plight. Unfortunately, purchasing that dog and removing it to a place of safety (as opposed to reporting the situation to an animal welfare group) may relieve the suffering of that particular individual, but by supporting the trade with your patronage and your cash, you are encouraging the ongoing production of more pups to fulfil the demand and sentencing future generations to the same fate.''
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Until there is proper licensing to STOP puppy farming and educate the general public this will be a no win situation.

'Disposing' is a very emotive word. Those ex-breeders exist. The puppy farmers no longer want them. What would happen to them if there were no people willing to take them on? They'd probably just get PTS or dumped, who knows.

I don't think by rescuing these dogs it is unacceptable, not caring for those dogs would be.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi,

I'd have to agree. Buying a puppy or any dog from a puppy farmer would be putting so many other dogs (and prospective owners) at risk.

I'm the same as anyone and when I see TV adverts (RSOPCA in particular) I have to turn them off as I feel so guilty. It's silly because I can't rescue every animal that needs help. But I know the best I can do is to have rescue dogs as pets which I have done.

Admittedly Zane came from a breeder but I bought him from the guy who had him direct from his litter mates. Ellie was going to be dumped because she looks more like and Akita than a GSD (although when I took her in at 6 weeks old there was no way of telling what she'd look like) and I got Yiannis from B'ham Dogs' Home.

I'd have to say that if someone wants to rescue a dog (or any animal) then go to the RSPCA, Dogs' Trust etc and get a dog where the funds paid are going to be paid back into the system for the care and welfare of more dogs.

I also believe that puppy farmers should be publicly named and shamed and that lengthy prison sentences should be dished out for the worst types of abuse. After all, if someone is just banned fomr keeping an animal, are there any checks done to make sure they don't acquire any more?

Laura xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I do think it is similar to buying a puppy from them.
I think sadly, in this scenarion, you have to look at the bigger picture, which is to try to put an end to puppy farms. By taking the ex breeding stock in some ways I do think it perpetuates the trade. If rescues do that, I think it is vital that they send all the information they can to the local authorities concerned and government. Taking the dogs HAS to be balanced with giving information and stopping the trade. It can't be one sided..There is a much bigger picture to consider than the individual dogs.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I can understand the mentality that by taking these ex-breeders from the puppy farmers we are making space for the next one but, from my limited knowledge of what happens in these places, the ex-breeder is going to be replaced anyway, regardless of how she is disposed of.

I also understand the need to educate people about where they purchase a pup from, but things are never this simple and the government really needs to take a huge step into making the puppy farms illegal and banning/fining the breeders that are running them. Until this happens then they will continue with their disgusting trade.

It is with this in mind that I can only applaud those people that are taking these bitches away from the puppy farms and finding them new loving homes, as well as getting any vet treatment that they may require.

It breaks my heart to see the photos and hear their stories, it is some consolation to see them in their new homes and hear that they are now thriving...I personally find this far more acceptable than the alternative...but that is just my humble opinion.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Mini I will answer you as I did on the other thread

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Spot Did I give the impression that they should be left to get on with it and did you overlook my second post when I said..

You say 'these places are doing nothing illegal', I am not convinced many of these places aren't already doing things which are illegal like exceeding the number of dogs they are licenced to keep and breed from and failing to keep dogs in accordance with law when it comes to their living conditions and over all care.
And what about the illegal Puppy Farms, are you saying there aren't any of those or just that none of the brood bitches from these places are taken to rescues.

When it comes to buying a puppy from a puppy farm the Dogs Trust say..
The most effective thing is pretty simple – don’t buy a puppy from a puppy farm. Hit them where it hurts – in their pockets!

and the RSPCA say ..
Concerned about the welfare of a puppy?
Never buy a puppy just because you feel sorry for it. If you are concerned about the health or welfare of a puppy, please contact the RSPCA 24-hour cruelty and advice line: 0300 1234 999. Calls are treated in the strictest confidence.
..so 'Don't buy the puppies' is the message, they don't say 'please rescue a puppy or it will die' and that will no doubt be the fate of some puppies ,the message here is clear, resist the temptation to take these puppies for the greater good. There is no mention of the ex breeding bitches and what can be done to help them .
While many people are aware of puppy farms and the sickly puppies they produce and we have seen programs about them recently all of which help to heighten the awareness of the puppy buying public, the plight of the brood bitches rarely if ever seems to get a mention.

KC says ''But if we didn't take the ex breeder she would be killed and a young dog would still take her place'.

I have no doubt many ex brood bitches don't make it to rescues in the first place and many of the sites giving information about puppy farms confirm this,here is just one example...
...there are many more examples stating the bitches are killed. So why do the Puppy Farmers allow a small number of brood bitches to go to rescues why not just kill them all?
Could it be the bitches that do make it to freedom are a way of buying the silence of the rescues,those who state 'we can't say anything' . I have no doubt these lucky few bitches are just the tip of the iceberg

As I said in my second post, the one you chose to ignore I think the whole issue of ex breeding dogs needs looking into and I don't think those of us who mention the plight of the brood bitches should be glibly dismissed and made to look the bad guys for daring to bring the subject up.

I am not for one moment saying rescuing any dog is not a good thing to do but there is a bigger picture here and I don't think we should be lulled into a sense of complacency by the thought that all ex breeding bitches make it to freedom when in all probability only a tiny minority do.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Of course they are doing things illegally like having too many dogs – but while the authorities give warning when they are to visit – lets face it it only takes a couple of hours let alone days to move these dogs off the property and sweep up a bit.

Did I ever say there were no illegal PF – if so show me where! Do rescues have access to these, or again when reported the powers that be and they eventually go out to inspect – low and behold no dogs (where to you think most of these went?

Oh right so now the RSPCA saying nothing about brood bitches means don’t rescue them? What the RSPCA is trying to do is educate the public to stop the demand – that’s the way to stop puppy farming

So what do you suggest – please if you think you can help tell us what you would do? Just stop the rescues taking these dogs? Do you honestly think this will stop the PF?

Yep many do not make it to rescue – now is that KC’s fault. As I’ve said the rescues are not silent – they have lobby groups but if they go in all guns blazing they will lose the chance to even save a few – is that what people who are so against these rescues really want? The rescues do make a difference – many PF do now keep these dogs in better conditions because of rescues trying to educate.

I don’t think anyone has glibly dismissed these breeding bitches – surely if KC or any rescue taking them did that – they wouldn’t be taking them in the first place or driving 8 hours to get them out. What seems to be the problem is that its now the rescues fault for taking them in and if anything has been dismissed it’s the damn good and hard work that these rescues do to help them!

Just who is being complacent about it – trust me the rescues would love nothing better if there were no breeding bitches (and studs btw) to take in. There is nothing complacent about taking these dogs in and rehabilitating them for a wonderful life and nothing complacent about trying to educate both the public regarding taking these dogs or the farmers to have them in better conditions until they can be shut down.
So can I ask what actually difference apart from getting these dogs out is going to make unless the demand for these pups is stopped?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd rather have 40 puppies PTS than have hundreds and thousands be born and traded unethically.

Puppy farming needs to be stopped and I feel the only people who can do this are the KC. If they win their pledge to ensure ALL breeders meet certain standards, and advertise this fact thoroughly then people will be aware that anyone NOT adhering to these guidelines are selling illegally. It might make them thiink twice.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Until there is proper licensing to STOP puppy farming and educate the general public this will be a no win situation.

'Disposing' is a very emotive word. Those ex-breeders exist. The puppy farmers no longer want them. What would happen to them if there were no people willing to take them on? They'd probably just get PTS or dumped, who knows.

I don't think by rescuing these dogs it is unacceptable, not caring for those dogs would be.
This is how I feel.
If these ex breeders were not taking then they would be disposed of,younger bitches will take their place either way.
The rescuers are at least giving these poor dogs a chance of a proper home. I dont think that it has any impact one way or another on the PF as they would carry on regardless. No money is exchanged for these poor dogs, whereas puppies are the commodity and the PF motivation to continue.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh. Have I missed the point of the post? Sorry am a little confused now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Oh. Have I missed the point of the post? Sorry am a little confused now.
Hi Em, this is following on from KCJacks thread about collecting ex-breeders from puppy farms in Wales
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »