Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 04:19 PM

Dry patches on belly

Hi all,

Cassie has a couple of dry exczema type patches of dry skin on the inside of both of her back legs, on either side of her belly. They don't seem to be bothering her but are dry and rough to the touch. They aren't angry looking or weepy. Although I don't think it needs a trip to the vet, could anyone advise any kind of cream we could use or a supplement to her food. She has been a bit scratty lately but put that down to her winter coat coming in.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 04:50 PM
aloe vera, you can get it straight from the plant by breaking it off and opening it up then rubbing the gel onto the skin, or you can buy just the gel from health shops, great on exczema, I used to suffer quite badly. Had my own plant too until i killed it
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks Donna
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Jackie- Id be careful with aloe vera - its a poison to dogs . May be ok rubbed on skin in small amounts but its one of the plants listed as poisonous to dogs. Great for humans tho.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
Hi Jackie- Id be careful with aloe vera - its a poison to dogs . May be ok rubbed on skin in small amounts but its one of the plants listed as poisonous to dogs. Great for humans tho.
very true ..... maybe try some kind of oil massaged on the skin I think baby oil is ok
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I use salmon oil internally and ext- great for dry skin -my pup had dandruff last year- a week of a tsp a day of salmon oil got rid- should work externally too got it from www.canineconcepts.co.uk its called salmopet
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks Inca and Cath. I'll check out the link, I've used Canine Concepts before. The trick is to catch her if I have to massage anything into her skin.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Just ordered a couple of different products. An anitiseptic cream and a tea tree spray so hopefully we'll be able to get one or both onto her
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 07:54 AM
hi i use suda cream on my dogs when they get a sore paytch or dry skin works really well and is none harmful.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks