View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I would prob be happy/er to home to a couple with young kids than I would be to a young couple in there early 20's-ish just married, they may split up or get rid should she fall pregnant, I feel childless couples are a higher risk home, but with young kids I would frett about kids being knocked over or making the pup wild, I would not be too keen on a house with lots of stairs and a rotty pup that had run of the house with the kids, its a disaster waiting to happen, I frett over every pup that goes to be honest, there is no such thing as a fool proof home, I think I take individules as they come and make choices on the type of people they are, my first litter all had homes before they were born so I had no worrys there as they went to close friends. the second with the scan saying 4 pups and my vet saying she may have up to 7 but he could only see 4 for sure. Then Tegan went on to produce 11 massive pups I found myself vetting people its so hard to get it right every time, I made a mistake with beau and felt awfull about it, but I got him back withing six weeks so no harm done really.
ps I too would love a little dog to spoil, if its any consolation Im sure most breeders would look at my OH and his family and say F.Off no way, look at the size of him, I have not even tried getting a pup but thats because I know Dougie would break it, hes 6'5" he would not see it milling round his feet, guess im lucky the cats still whole
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Even if it meant turning away a perfect home purely on the fact that its because children live there?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Our daughter was nearly 5 years old when we decided to get our first dog. My oh was dead against getting a dog initially, until he realised I was prepared to do some homework and that is was not a whim! Homework I did.... I went to the library and researched breeds and temperaments, and eventually we agreed a smaller breed of dog would best suit our criterea. We purposely spoke with dog owners, even walked neighbours dogs with our daughter. Looked into breeders, went to the vets, went just about everywhere.

We then visited breeders of cavalier king charles spaniels, both owners (bitch/dog). This was in 1994, and I can vaguely remember our in-laws coming too. Our first visit was to the stud owner, who spent so much time with us, she pointed out all the for's and against's, presumably as we were first time dog owners We then arranged to meet the owner of the bitch - again same process.

We kept in contact over the next couple of months, then the litter was born, desperate to see the pups we were told not until they were older due to infection etc. We waitied patiently!!! Eventually after an agonizing wait we went to see the pups. Simba came home and we spent 11 wonderful years together - the day he went to the bridge my daughter said it had been like loosing a brother or sister she had learnt so much from him, they had a beautiful relationship.

So the moral of the story is that vetting and homework should be done by both parties, and all should be taken into account. I feel passionately about the involvement and interaction between children and dogs, and imo should be encouraged. Quite often childless couples have dog/s and are out at work all day. Mothers with young children are surely able to dedicate the time, after all they are the ones at home all day. Whatever the breed, it is down to the parent to supervise children and dogs at all times.

Even with the most scrupulous of breeders you can get it wrong, and after all, circumstances do and can change beyond anyone's control.

I wish you all the very best in introducing the long awaited pup, and what appears is going to be a very happy and long relationship x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
Even if it meant turning away a perfect home purely on the fact that its because children live there?
I think you have miss read my post, I would be happy/er with a home with kids than one with a young married couple who may split, and lets face it 65% do, or they may decide on a baby and the dog has to go, I take individules as I find them, I prefer over 30s to be honest then take the rest from there, my pups have gone to homes with children, grandchildren kids are everywhere you cant stay clear of them the best you can do is breed healthy happy pups with good tempraments and give advice on how to let them interact, you have to trust you gut feeling with folk, be it good or bad,
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I have far more homes lined up than puppies available with each litter I've bred. Bear in mind that people have waited three years to get a puppy from one of my litters. I only breed once in a blue moon (four litters in 29 years) so the subject of having to settle for something that doesn't come within my criteria hasn't come up.

Debs
Papillon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm asking hypothetically, if you bred more, would you still flatly turn down a family with small kiddies?
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Hmm, I don't know. It'd have to be someone that I knew and trusted. If I knew the routine and how much free time they had. Not sure though. I've found through several mistakes in various things in life that if you have strong views on things and stand by them, once you make one exception, that's when things go wrong.

Debs
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Why don't you take your children along to see the breeder. When we got Angel we took our 1 yr old son with us so the breeder could see for herself what he was like with the pups.
Abbeypap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Hello Papillon

I can understand your frustation in not being able to get your Papillon or other dog.

Though I have in the past let puppies go to homes with children of all ages, these have been homes and families that I have had contact with over a period of time, in some cases two or more years.

Every dog is different and the home that would suit one dog will not suit the other. Every now and then the "ideal" home for a particular dog comes along. Older dogs can find it stressful going to a home with children, especially if the dog has come from a home where there are no children or children are occassional visitors.

Not all breeders automatically treat one home with children the same as another, homes like breeders are individual.
Could I suggest that rather than go the "rounds" phone a couple of breeders in your area and speak to them, let them know that you understand there concerns and as you have been patient this long let them know that you are willing to wait (if you can be that patient) for the right dog / pup for your family. Why not visit a local open show or Championship show and meet some of the breeders there. Most breeders are happy to help / advise people who are interested in there breed and could be the right home for the right dog at the right time.

Regards
Joan
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Abbeypap View Post
Could I suggest that rather than go the "rounds" phone a couple of breeders in your area and speak to them, let them know that you understand there concerns and as you have been patient this long let them know that you are willing to wait (if you can be that patient) for the right dog / pup for your family. Why not visit a local open show or Championship show and meet some of the breeders there. Most breeders are happy to help / advise people who are interested in there breed and could be the right home for the right dog at the right time.
This sounds like fabulous advice to me papillon.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >