Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 09:20 AM

*Need some advice* re breeder???

hi everyone.

ok i need some advice!! at the weekend we visited a breeder that a friend had asked me to check out after getting a pup from them about a month ago.
Anyway we went to this "breeder" place and i was appalled!!

there where 5 male dogs in caged pen things,, looked like metal builder fencing to me,, all the dogs where pacing up and down aimlessly barking their heads off
then i seen the supposedly "home reared pups" all in another similar cage,, 7 in all, no toys nothing to lay on just concrete and all covered in their own feces, by this time i was close to tears
The thing that disturbed me the most was that when the breeder went into the pen to pick one of the pups up for me,, ALL the pups ran and huddled at the other end of the pen as if they where frightened,, now maybe its just me but in my opinion a 8 weks old pup should be playful and exciteable not fearful and frightened looking

There where other dogs that i could hear but not see, the "breeder" claimed to have 20 adult gsds all in all all kept outdoors in outdoor kennel things will a small run on each not good enough in my opinion!!

Anyway the reason i went is that my friend got a puppy from there about a month ago and has had nothing but problems with the poor pup the pup is so very quiet and shy and refuses to walk past people, she does not greet you with a wagging tail, she runs and hides and if you approach her too fast she about turns and wees herself i find this so upsetting as to me a puppy should be playful and inquisitive, nosey even, i know nemo is! well this pup is the complete opposite,, very quiet and withdrawn, likes to cuddle right up and stay there!
she wont eat from her food bowl unless someone is holding it and jumps at every little noise she hears, when out walking she has to be right by her doggy companion and it has taken her a wee while to learn to play having had no toys i dont think she knew what playing was, poor baby

i wish i had taken my camera but i didnt think,, my question is what do you all think of the situation?? is she a reputable loving breeder?? i think not give me your opinion

kimberley x x x
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I would definitely say no she isn't. Not sure what to suggest as i know through experience that if you report these people when the inspectors turn up as long as the dogs have shelter and food and drink they rarely do anything these things really annoy and upset me if it were me i think i would try and break in and steal the dogs and find them loving homes myself.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Sounds digraceful to me , if i had been you and saw puppies were covered in faeces and had no bedding i would have reported her as soon as i got home. Obviously these poor dogs are not even getting the most basic of care, even if they have food and water. if they are living in such unsuitable dirty conditions without any bedding i,m sure this breeder is due for a visit from the R.S.P.C.A. You must have been so upset seeing this
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Definitely not a good breeder

Your friend needs to do some work with her puppy now to attempt to repair the damage that her early upbringing appears to have caused. Advise her to consult a really good trainer or behaviour consultant before the problems escalate.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh no

I would report them immediately.... Poor dogs and pups
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Sounds like a puppy farm to me
I hope the RSPCA can do somthing to stop this ,if they have a few breeding dogs dont they need a licence ?
poor pups and dogs
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:22 AM
we do not know that the dogs were kept in this condition all the time . this was a working farm , the pens did have kennel areas and bedding ext could have been privided there , .the breeder in question did state that they were home bred puppies , and did say when asked thet they were in the pen for the inspection of prespective parents , the pens were similar to the one police dogs are kept in , what we do know is that the puppy in question has abnormal fears for such a young puppy , instead of being inquisitive and happy she is fearfull of any strange noise . does not like to go past people , and is quiet and subdued , is frightend of people apporoching her at faster speeds than crawl , she will run away to the safety of the sofa .she wasnt comeing to people , although she is now tentatively ,
she wont go past people to eat , so food is taken to her , she is now eating from a bowl after being fed from a bowl by hand for the first few days .
the food the breeder was providing her ,couldnt be found so her diet was forcibly changed .
she is now just starting to play ,with the help of her doggy companion is starting to come out of her shell .
she does seem to like cuddles and has now started to come to the owner for petting ,again tentatively ..
lots of tlc and patience are needed to build up her trust and allay her fears
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by deefin
we do not know that the dogs were kept in this condition all the time . this was a working farm , the pens did have kennel areas and bedding ext could have been privided there , .the breeder in question did state that they were home bred puppies , and did say when asked thet they were in the pen for the inspection of prespective parents , the pens were similar to the one police dogs are kept in , what we do know is that the puppy in question has abnormal fears for such a young puppy , instead of being inquisitive and happy she is fearfull of any strange noise . does not like to go past people , and is quiet and subdued , is frightend of people apporoching her at faster speeds than crawl , she will run away to the safety of the sofa .she wasnt comeing to people , although she is now tentatively ,
she wont go past people to eat , so food is taken to her , she is now eating from a bowl after being fed from a bowl by hand for the first few days .
the food the breeder was providing her ,couldnt be found so her diet was forcibly changed .
she is now just starting to play ,with the help of her doggy companion is starting to come out of her shell .
she does seem to like cuddles and has now started to come to the owner for petting ,again tentatively ..
lots of tlc and patience are needed to build up her trust and allay her fears
there was NO bedding in the puppies pen and i dont care what anyone says,, puppies should not run away and cower from people at that age,, it was very upsetting and i find it very hard to believe that these dogs where ever taken into a loving home!!
JMO
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:42 AM
i agree puppies of that age should not act like that . unfortunately i dont know if the kennel area of the pen had bedding as i did not see inside it . the entrace to that area was at the back of the pen , the pen entrance was at the front of the pen . i do know that all the puppies ran from the breeder when approached . but the puppy in question was the worst of them . and being chosen that day probably saved her life

im sorry but i dont know how large scale breeders operate only how i did when i bred rottweilers . which was in a loving home well socialized with lots of toys and affection . perhaps i am giving too much benefit of doubt here . kimberley saw more of the outside workings than myself .
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 11:50 AM
i also know that the puppy in question was matted with feaces stuck to her fur and she really smelled .and if you bend down to pet her she cowers as if being afraid of being hit ..( unfortunatley i have seen this reaction in abused dogs befor )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >