Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 07:31 AM

what treats would you recommended for training

Hi all

I am doing puppie classes and was wondering what treats would be best, i would like to be able to give a choice as would not like him to get bored of th same thing. hope you can help.

sorry if put in wrong thread...
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 07:43 AM
i use polony... it`s only 40p from the supermarket... Cut it up into cubes, it has a strong garlic smell... drives the dogs wild. At the puppy class i go to.. i find the other dogs coming up to me trying to get their noses in my treat bag. LOL. She only gets this at puppy class... not at home... so it`s still very much a treat.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:12 AM
thanks thats great will give it a try
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-10-2006, 08:16 AM
you could also try , cheese, or hotdog sausages, the dogs love the smell of the sausages
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I use anything that he doesn't normally get and try to ring the changes.

Favourites so far include hotdog sausages ( rinsed well to get rid of the brine they come in), cheese cut into tiny little pieces, gravybones broken into four pieces, garlic sausage and liver cake.

The liver cake you make yourself and if you do a search for it on here you will find a recipe for it. I tend to just make it up as I go along but it is along the lines of a pound of liver (pig's is cheapest), an egg (shell and all), about 8oz of flour (any variety) and two garlic cloves. Put it all in a food processor and whizzit up to a yucky looking paste. Spread it on a baking tray and cook at Gas 6 for about half an hour or until you can't stand the smell any longer.

This makes enough for about a month or so and you can freeze it as well. I usually cut it up into slices before I freeze it and then bag it in " a session at a time" quantities.

Its really cheap to make and the dogs love it.

The thing with training treats is they have to be something your dog really wants to earn. The smell is all important and you don't have to feed big portions - the tiniest bit is fine - your dog doesn't notice the size just that he is getting something wonderful.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:01 AM
thats great thanks alot lizziel & jackbox will give them all a try and see which he likes the most.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:28 AM
When I went to dog training classes with my GSD a few years ago they recommended cooked liver chopped into very small pieces - he loved it He also loved cheese too
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 09:44 AM
My dog is fed on dried food. When I weigh out her brekfast in the morning I take a handful of this and keep it for rewards throughout the day. This way she won't put on any unnecessary weight. She enjoyes this, but I know for some dogs they need a higher reward treat.

I use cubes of cheese to put her tablets in for her to eat those. But would be carefu not to over do it since high calorie treats lead to an overweight pooch!
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
My lot love liver cake as well and seem to do anything for a piece so i use that.

Also at the moment i use that cheese spread stuff in a tube. Georgie is going through a snatching the treat stage, she's not doing it on purpose as if she does it once the next time she realises and is more gentle. Anyway usong the tube means my fingers are safe and the portion is still controlled
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I use home made liver cake
OR
baked chicken (boil with garlic, chop up, oven bake until hard
OR (a big favourite)
sardine treats (two tins sardines in oil, garlic, two eggs, oats (or flour or potato flour etc.), mix together, oven bake.

All can be frozen.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >