View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
There are reasons for the disclaimer on the show that his methods are not to be used unless supervised by a trained professional.
I find him interesting, in a Hollywood kind of way, but I would never try to implement his methods myself. I'm not a dog whisperer, I'm a puppy lover ;o)
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
hey pidge,i like what you are saying,his ideas are fine but his aproch...hummmmm im no pro but iv got more years of experience than he as im sure others do to ,he leads people to belive in a quick fix...some of the methods he uses take monthes of training nothing is instant with any animal you may want to train...he does have allot of knowledge and does some good things for dogs ,pros and cons,iv tried some of his stuff and it worked,some did not and some i would not....phil
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hey guys ,id like to comment on these collars, high on the neck is best for training.it is more sensitive and the dog will pull as much as they can handle ,it will cut off there supply and they will submitt some times ..iv got an amstaff that would pass out before he gave up.its up to him...if he is in the REDzone it can be dangerious.training only for him.hes good now that he undrstands there is no other option than to comply..its that simple,as far a Ceasar...he gets back to bacics with dog that most dont like because we feel owr dogs are like our kids...there dogs and should be treated as such....pinning a dog to the floor is good if the dog knows you are alph.in the wild most would chalange a pin.and that why they sat ,,,CONSULT A PRO BEFORE ATTEMTING....there was a post here where some one was attact? put a dog down becase it went bad....i would not suggest a pin,if there was no ground work before the pin,if you want to be alpha you better be prepared to be challanged.my dogos and amstaff know how is boss and it was not overnight.....i cant afford to be number two....get back to basics of the pack, start there...phil
I don't think I saw that one in the Dogsy handbook!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
not sure i get you one this one.......high on the neck for any collar allows for more controll....choker collars do just that .my dogs are powerfull and its the only collar that worked for my amstaff..i dont need them any more and would not recomend them to anyone who does not have large dog experience.it was scarry for me, but i had a dog that needed to be controlled before something bad happened ..was it the right tool to use ?im not so sure but it worked and would try something different next time
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2008, 11:18 PM
it dependes on whos hand book, i guess,high on the neck allows for better controll,especialy for larg breeds,IMO and experience.....its not often iv seen them used on small less powerfull breeds,respectfully...phil
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Uhmmm... how do you get the collars to sit high on the neck? If you're using a choke collar, it'll fall down the neck as soon as it's slack...

Anyway the only thing I use of Cesar Milan's is the sound he makes for correction - like the squirt of a water bottle..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Lene, with you on that.

Personally I hate choke collars and half-checks. I'd rather use a body harness.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Lene, with you on that.

Personally I hate choke collars and half-checks. I'd rather use a body harness.
I am not keen on choke chains and believe they can cause some really nasty injuries when misused. Half-checks however do not close on the dog's throat and a world apart from chokers. My dogs all wear flat collars, but the shepherds have had half checks in the past to save the fur around their woolly necks
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I am still making my mind up about CM and his methods. I like the fact he treats dogs as dogs. I like the fact he emphasises the need for exercise, discipline and affection. I am sure all his dogs know the rules of his house and happily live by them. A dog who doesn't know his place is an unhappy and unsure dog I have found.

Some of his more "hands on" methods I am not so keen on, but am still interested to watch his show and find out more.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
not sure i get you one this one.......high on the neck for any collar allows for more controll....choker collars do just that .my dogs are powerfull and its the only collar that worked for my amstaff..i dont need them any more and would not recomend them to anyone who does not have large dog experience.it was scarry for me, but i had a dog that needed to be controlled before something bad happened ..was it the right tool to use ?im not so sure but it worked and would try something different next time

Hi Phil

I was just surprised to see heel work by asphyxiation discussed on Dogsy! You are obviously an open-minded, caring man who absolutely loves his dogs and is rightly very proud of them. Your post above suggests you may have some reservations about that particular method, perhaps it was a desperate situation? The fact that we are even on this site suggests that we are all trying to learn more and improve our methods by sharing experiences.

Best wishes

Maxine
Page 9 of 40 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »