View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 03:49 PM

How can I stop him pulling back and being scared? its ruining our walk!

whenever we walk past traffic, asbo pulls back, tries to stop and wont carry on walking.

its really starting to ruin our walks because i get so frustrated and angry with him...

i dont know why he is so scared of cars and things, he will hop in and out of a car thats running no problem, its just when we are walking down the road.

its starting to drive me mad, which im sure will only make him worse.

any help will greatly appreciated.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
You just need to keep at it Chloe. If this was me I would make a point of walking up and down the road daily. Just before the walk on the feild, so Asbo links walking past the traffic to a mad rump around the feilds. while walking passed the traffic try and keep him focused on you, giving him lots of praise ect. I walk ours down the road when lead training and its worked well.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You just need to keep at it Chloe. If this was me I would make a point of walking up and down the road daily. Just before the walk on the feild, so Asbo links walking past the traffic to a mad rump around the feilds. while walking passed the traffic try and keep him focused on you, giving him lots of praise ect. I walk ours down the road when lead training and its worked well.
ooh there you are just been nosying at your pics on fb he was fine to begin with, he just followed daphni's lead, but now he is pulling back every time he sees a car. ive tried food to distract him but hes just not interested.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
thought I would make the most of my day off with piccie taking..

what about squeaky toys, or his fav toy to keep him focused?
when your walking him what side do you have so you are inbetween the car and him. Not else I can really offer advice wise - hope someone can.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I remember when Ozzy was a puppy he was just as bad, it used to drive me barmy But he grew out of it and now nothing phases him

I keep making a point of walking Ludi along busy roads and so far so good, a tractor went passed us today and he didn't bat an eyelid

DD has the right idea, and maybe treat him when a car goes by so he sees them as good things, but don't do it when he has already got scared or he may think you are treating him for being nervous!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
thought I would make the most of my day off with piccie taking..

what about squeaky toys, or his fav toy to keep him focused?
when your walking him what side do you have so you are inbetween the car and him. Not else I can really offer advice wise - hope someone can.
toy might work will try that next time. yeah he walks furthest away from the road with me and even daphni sometimes in between him and the road, but he still pulls back. its not even like hes pulling to the side to get further away, he pulls back from where the car has just come from, and it doesnt matter if the car is coming towards him or away from him, he still pulls back.. i worry if he pulls hard enough he could slip his collar.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
The trouble is that everytime he sees something that frightens him, it reinforces the fear.
I see scary thing = I am frightened = scary thing is frightening.
Dogs can`t get desensitised to stuff while they are frightened.
Personally, I would walk the dog somewhere you can be at a distance from the traffic, then reward when he is relaxed.
Next time try a little bit closer. If he gets anxious, turn away.

I know it`s a faff, but it shouldn`t take long to teach him that the cars aren`t going to hurt hum.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
You could try sitting somewhere where you know their will be traffic. Not walking him just sitting with him relaxed, giving him lots of fuss and attention. You could also try abit of walking around a quite car park instead of a busy road.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Poor lad - I would as suggested work on him relaxing - I think you need a new tactic to help him learn the traffic isn't that scary at all.

I did hear of someone who just went and sat at a bus stop with her puppy to get them used to the traffic.

I think I was lucky with Bentley his first walk he backed off but a treat under his nose each time (greedy devil) and he was fine.

Good luck hope he gets used to it.
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The trouble is that everytime he sees something that frightens him, it reinforces the fear.
I see scary thing = I am frightened = scary thing is frightening.
Dogs can`t get desensitised to stuff while they are frightened.
Personally, I would walk the dog somewhere you can be at a distance from the traffic, then reward when he is relaxed.
Next time try a little bit closer. If he gets anxious, turn away.

I know it`s a faff, but it shouldn`t take long to teach him that the cars aren`t going to hurt hum.
I totally 100% agree with this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >