Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:34 PM

Saved a JRT from death by VW Polo...

Well what a day...

Very quiet, only a few customers (which is definitely better than none) and then right at the end I had three telephone orders, one for delivery that night and two people came after I'd closed so I ended up letting them in and spending a while explaining to one guy what FAD in cats was...

Finally got off about half an hour late and dropped off the delivery, driving home I decided to go through Broomhall which is a little area off the main road and better to cut through to avoid the traffic on the dual carriageway (because most of it is going to a different place but this cut through takes me where I want to be).

Driving along I happened to see a little rough haired JRT bitch wandering in and out of the road. She looked totally disorientated and was all alone in the road so I pulled the car up on double yellows and popped the hazards on, got the slip lead out of the glove box (because I am that sad) and went over to her.
She was really wary but started getting a little closer when I threw treats to her but she still wouldn't let me get close enough (still a few feet away) and at one point ran straight past me straight into the path of an oncoming VW Polo. Due to her size and how close they already were when she ran in front of them, they didn't see her at all and I had to shout and wave my arms to get them to grind to a halt.

Eventually, I ran out of biscuits in my pocket and the little madam ran away from me again so I got the car to follow her, I saw her enter the grounds of a big house and thought it was probably student accomodation as most of it is around there. I figured I'd go and ask if they knew who's she was but when I went around the back (no answer at the front) there was a little off shot cottage. I knocked on the door and..

'Yip! Yip! Yip!' Out comes a little rough haired JRT to see me off, I stood there folded my arms while she was running around my legs yipping at me and said 'so you do live here then'

At which point I hear a woman shouting at her to shut up. I called to her and she came out to see me.

I told her I'd just found her on the main road through the area (used to be a little village - the road isn't busy but that's the main road of this area) and that she'd nearly been hit by a car twice - actually it was at least 4 times she stepped out in front of cars...) She said 'oh goodness!' and I told her that she isn't visible to oncoming traffic due to her size and very nearly got squished.

To which she replied 'Oh she's terrible for that, she's always getting out'... oh really! I wonder how when you have your back door wide open AND the drive gates wide open?!

I felt like scooping her up and taking her home with me - people like that don't deserve animals - one day that little girl will get out and not make it home.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Good grief......

I agree with you Lottie, one day she just won't make it back....

Well done for your efforts though, hon. The actions of a true dog lover x0x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:00 AM
I'd be horrified if my dog was out and I didn't know. What's the matter with the woman?
Kudos to you, Lottie, for trying your best to help the little mite
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I would have done the same - doesn't it tick you off when people seemingly don't give a damn
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah it really does... it makes me so angry because some people take no responsibility for things and it's just a case of 'I can so I will' have a dog...

I had to really prove myself before I was allowed any pets... and as such it really winds me up that some people just go out and buy them, then worry about it later (or not so, in this woman's case).

Usually I would've slipped away when I realised it was where the dog lived but I was already het up and a bit shaken that I had almost run this dog over and then had to stop another car and stop someone else who was running up the path from frightening her into the road that I wanted to tell her exactly what had happened!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I just dont understand why some people get dogs if they really just dont care about them. If they dont want to walk them or watch them constantly, get a gold fish. There easier to keep, clean and feed. And no more walks with them either.