Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Is Broccoli toxic for Dogs?

Dog Borstal was on tonight - I must admit I wasn't paying full attention, but OH tells me that Mick Martin has said that broccoli is toxic for dogs?

My vet knows that we give Hoki broccoli and has encouraged this. Also, doing a quick google search, I can't find anything to suggest it is bad.

Did OH mishear Mick Martin and if not, does anyone have any facts as to whether broccoli is bad for dogs?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:18 PM
It is only problematic in very large amounts (I think 5 - 10% of the diet) as it contains isothiocyanate, which can cause stomach problems.

Small quantities shouldn't cause a problem.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Haven't watchd it yet so can't say for sure but I think OH heard correctly as I've seen it on another site.

As far as I know broccoli is fine. My Zymi likes a couple of stems of the purple sprouting variey
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It is only problematic in very large amounts (I think 5 - 10% of the diet) as it contains isothiocyanate, which can cause stomach problems.

Small quantities shouldn't cause a problem.
Thank you Lucky Star, very useful to know, particularly since, being on a diet, Hoki does get a fair amount of veg, I'll definitely watch how much she gets in future.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Dog Borstal was on tonight - I must admit I wasn't paying full attention, but OH tells me that Mick Martin has said that broccoli is toxic for dogs?

My vet knows that we give Hoki broccoli and has encouraged this. Also, doing a quick google search, I can't find anything to suggest it is bad.

Did OH mishear Mick Martin and if not, does anyone have any facts as to whether broccoli is bad for dogs?
Your OH did hear correctly, Mick Martin did say broccoli was toxic to dogs, also beef, pork and others which i can't remember, but it was quite a long list I think its like anything though, in moderation it is fine (he did tell the poor woman she was killing her dogs and had taken at least a year off their lives)

Jann
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Not toxic per se, however certain veg are high in oxalic acid (such as broccoli, spinach etc) which interferes with calcium absorption, so should only be given in quite small quantities.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Broccolli also contains bioflavinoids - these have cancer fighting abilities. This applies to humans but I can't find any hard evidence of it doing the same in dogs - can't find anything that suggests otherwise either.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I was watching that and was quite shocked at all the things he claimed were bad. Mine have broccoli pureed up with other veg, they don't have pork but have all the other meats mentioned. She also said she gave them bread and butter and chips, but he never said anything about that!!
Mine have made it to 3 on their 'poisonous' diet, and they have relatives a lot older than them eating the same diet and everyone is doing well
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 01:21 AM
I was advised by my vet to give brocolli along with other veg and reduce the meat content when i was putting meg on a constant diet. She doesn't have brocolli every day but I would say three days a week. Will take it up with the vet again when I take her in next week.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I just assumed that Mick said it to scare her off giving the dogs such a bad diet...

If they never have an empty bowl and get human food too, then I can see where he is coming from.

Does the cooking of beef, pork etc affect how it is digested by dogs?

Presumably roast beef is harder to digest and not as good for dogs as raw beef?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >