Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I do understand that and feel sorry for the Nurses,I feel the Doctor who discharged her should be in trouble but then again they are overworked too. but I have to do something I can't let it lie. I may also be in touch with the Local MP
No you should say something, it's the only way people will realise how bad it really is in the NHS these days.

I've recently left my job as I felt it was getting dangerous and I was starting to make mistakes (the ratio was 16 patients to 1 nurse!). I recently filled in an incident report form about a junior doctor who ignored my persistant bleeps about one of my patients that had a urine output of 0 (renal failure basically). You know what they sent me back? Ideas on how I could better nurse the patient!!!! Eh? I bleeped the doc who should've come right away and it's my fault she didn't?

Anyway, that's another story. Good luck with your complaint. Out of interest, did your Mam have any medications on her discharge note?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
7 nurses????? We're lucky if there's 3 of us on a shift! And even then 2 of us are usually busy taking phone calls from several different relatives of the same patient! Why don't people talk to each other anymore?!
How many is the norm on a night shift, last time I was in there were 3, though one was doing paper work and one was a snotty cow.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
If it was my Mum , I'd be going ballistic ! Surely they shouldn't have sent her home without meds. As far as being "too busy" and "understaffed" (sorry Emma) , any time I have ever been in a hospital , the number of nurses standing around just chatting is a disgrace. My last visit to hospital just after christmas was a joke. I'd been in excruciating pain from 3-30 am , after 3 days of vomiting up everything that passed my lips , strong painkillers included. I'd called the doctor out to the house twice and she had called an ambulance. After a 4 hour wait for an ambulance , I then had to wait 2 hours in hospital before someone saw me. This wasn't even A&E , it was the Acute Receiving Unit and was called in by my doctor ! After the 2 hour wait , a doctor came and asked me some questions , no physical examination , and then left. After another 2 hours , my Mum and I were so fed up that we decided to leave. A nurse stopped us and told us to wait. Another half hour later , the same nurse came back and gave me a little bottle of tablets to stop me from being sick then discharged me. My next appointment is with a neurosurgeon on 15th April at 2-20pm (YEAH RIGHT !). No doubt I'll have a long wait so I'll have to take that night off work. It really makes my blood boil when you are told the NHS is short of money , and then you read in the papers that they spend thousands on taxis to transport samples or medical documents. Not that long ago , on the 6 O' Clock ITV News , they said that NHS Scotland had seen ALL patients within 18 weeks for referrals. I'd like to know what happened to my MRI scan then. I was referred on the 12th December and never heard another word about it. My employer paid for a private scan as the NHS were taking so long ! I better calm down now and stop hijacking your thread . I hope you get things sorted out with your Mum , and that she gets better soon. And yes , make a complaint about the way she has been treated.
Ah hun if only you knew what it was really like! I regularly worked a 14 hour shift with 2 20 minute breaks, no standing around for me, or anyone else for that matter! The only time there are 7 nurses on our ward is during handover and even then it's not for long as the morning staff make a desperate scrabble for the door 1 hour after they should've actually finished!
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
How many is the norm on a night shift, last time I was in there were 3, though one was doing paper work and one was a snotty cow.
2 nurses & 1 aux for nights, unless we get one taken off the ward which leaves 1 & 1 for 32 patients!

Ah the joys of paperwork, think I must spend at least 30% of my time doing paperwork and the snotty cow was probably a relative of mine! There's a snotty nurse on every ward unfortunately!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Ah hun if only you knew what it was really like! I regularly worked a 14 hour shift with 2 20 minute breaks, no standing around for me, or anyone else for that matter! The only time there are 7 nurses on our ward is during handover and even then it's not for long as the morning staff make a desperate scrabble for the door 1 hour after they should've actually finished!

2 nurses & 1 aux for nights, unless we get one taken off the ward which leaves 1 & 1 for 32 patients!

Ah the joys of paperwork, think I must spend at least 30% of my time doing paperwork and the snotty cow was probably a relative of mine! There's a snotty nurse on every ward unfortunately!
Now I didnt say that.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I would complain, but put it in writing, that way you will be calmer and can get it right. It will also be very cathartic to do.

I have every sympathy for the nursing staff, and that is why we try and keep all our oldies out of hospital with the help of our community Matron. I hear some horror stories about what can happen unfortunately.... and have many friends who are nurses and tearing their hair out that their jobs aren't what they once were.

Hence why I love my job and will not become a nurse!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
I would complain, but put it in writing, that way you will be calmer and can get it right. It will also be very cathartic to do.

I have every sympathy for the nursing staff, and that is why we try and keep all our oldies out of hospital with the help of our community Matron. I hear some horror stories about what can happen unfortunately.... and have many friends who are nurses and tearing their hair out that their jobs aren't what they once were.

Hence why I love my job and will not become a nurse!
Good lifestyle choice there!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Ah hun if only you knew what it was really like!
But we do know what it has been like on the ocassions we have been in hospital !! and I stand by what I originally said. MANY times I've been for myself or others, there have been far too many Drs/Nurses standing around chatting, when I have been waiting for soemthing to be done or waiting for them to bring something !!

I'm not saying it's in all hospitals, but having it in the 2 hospitals I've attended is bad enough !!
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
But we do know what it has been like on the ocassions we have been in hospital !! and I stand by what I originally said. MANY times I've been for myself or others, there have been far too many Drs/Nurses standing around chatting, when I have been waiting for soemthing to be done or waiting for them to bring something !!

I'm not saying it's in all hospitals, but having it in the 2 hospitals I've attended is bad enough !!
I fully agree with Malady's post. We DO know what it is like through personal experience. In this instance , an elderly lady with suspected gastrointestinal bleeding was kept waiting for TWELVE AND A HALF HOURS , and then discharged without medication . G.I. bleeding can be fatal so why was this lady not treated as a priority ? Was she left lying on a trolley in a corridor for hours ?, as we all know hospitals are bad for that , it is in the news often enough. What if she had died ? Wouldn't it have mattered as she was old anyway (88 years old) ? Sorry but this should not have happened full stop. What about my own circumstances in December ? I'd had no food or water for 3 days as I couldn't keep anything down. This also meant that the max dose of strong painkillers were not able to work either. 3-30am until 10am was a Seven and a half hour wait before my doctor came to the house the first time. I had to call her in again and she was back an hour later. Then I had a 4 hour wait for an ambulance , which took 1 hour to get to the hospital. Then a 2 hour wait to be seen , followed by another 2 hour wait to be given a few tablets. In total , from 6pm on Christmas day until 10pm on Friday 28th Dec , 76 hours, I had had no food , no water and no pain relief , yet the staff at the hospital were hanging around in the corridors chatting ! Ok , one or two of the nurses in the area were attending to patients , but the rest of them were chatting. There were plenty of them around too , but only a couple of them were actually doing their jobs. That's not acceptable. We wouldn't allow our dogs to be treated that way so why should it be any different for human patients ? ( sorry Emma , I'm not having a go at you personally , just the NHS generally sucks when it comes to the care of patients.)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I think it is disgraceful, yes. But sadly its not an isolated incident, I have heard of many the same.

As for the nurses in hospital chatting away - my experience too when I had my stay in hospital 2 years ago. I was temporarily found a bed on the old dears ward, the care they received was dreadful. It took a cleaner to feed the old (very infirm) lady next to me, because the nurses were too busy talking in the day room. I said something, only to be told it wasn't their job!

I've always been a fervent supporter of the NHS, so it pains me that this was my experience.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-03-2008, 08:53 AM
No you should say something, it's the only way people will realise how bad it really is in the NHS these days.

I've recently left my job as I felt it was getting dangerous and I was starting to make mistakes (the ratio was 16 patients to 1 nurse!). I recently filled in an incident report form about a junior doctor who ignored my persistant bleeps about one of my patients that had a urine output of 0 (renal failure basically). You know what they sent me back? Ideas on how I could better nurse the patient!!!! Eh? I bleeped the doc who should've come right away and it's my fault she didn't?

Anyway, that's another story. Good luck with your complaint. Out of interest, did your Mam have any medications on her discharge note?
Yes there were medications on her discharge note which they had dated Thursday 20th 2 days before discharging her. The A&E had only one bed pan holder so Mum had to wait and wet herself which upset her because she prides herself on being clean. I will not be blaming the A&E Staff they were marvellous and take the flack from everywhere else. I will mention the bed pan incident and why isn't there more than one. We are now going to wait to see what the Hospital has to say about her in Norfolk where my Brother who lives has had to admit her there because of the pain in her back and chest, which I was told on Friday she would not be discharged till it was sorted.
I hope to stop it happening to someone else but I doubt it will.
Edited to add the same can be said of Teachers too much paperwork hence why my Husband left 9 years ago to get out of the classroom he is still in education but from a different perspective.
the Goverment are to blame imo so the health secretary may also be getting a letter.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >