Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Back from Sisters (update)

Her own GP is on holiday so another came to see her.
It isn't the chemo which we knew anyway as she hasn't eaten properly since Christmas,before she was diagnosed with cancer.
He says it could be Candida very severe form of thrush,and probably got a hold when she was first ill.He has prescribed some tablets and said give them a week and if no improvememnt then call for own GP to visit.She is happy she hasn't had to go into Hospital so are BIL and myself to a point but we are still not convinced this is going to work.
I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks she is skin and bone I really hope these pills are the answer and she can start to eat and build herself up so she can have her op.
BIL said he is going to see about getting a McMillan Nurse to go and see her they are obvioulsy more experienced in this field but she is digging her heels in about that now.She has appointment on Friday about how her chemo is going but they don't seem to be able to answer the questions about her not being able to eat she wants too she is hungry but nothing tatses right and makes her want to vomit.
I don't feel we will get any real answers till 17th August when she goes to see the Consultant lets hope everything is going as it should and she can have this op.
Sorry for rambling and possibly repeating myself.I am now worn out going to get changed and take Ollie for a stroll round the field and blow some cobwebs away.
Thanks for listening really is appreciated.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Ihope your sister takes the help lynn it will take the strain ,of you and her husband and that why you can have the strength to be there when needed ,these are for both of you xxdk
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Hmmmmm. I wonder if the doctor is just clutching at straws here. I guess it "could" be thrush, but if Sis has had it that long, and it's that bad, how is it no-one's noticed it before now?
Personally, I'd be on the phone to her own GP as soon as he's available....
*hugs* xox
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hmmmmm. I wonder if the doctor is just clutching at straws here. I guess it "could" be thrush, but if Sis has had it that long, and it's that bad, how is it no-one's noticed it before now?
Personally, I'd be on the phone to her own GP as soon as he's available....
*hugs* xox
Thats what we felt Vicki,that is why we feel she will be better with a McMillan Nurse visiting now and then as I tried to explain to her they will know more than a GP.
We felt there is something not quite right and are wondering if things are not going as they should but nothing can be said till the Consultants are around.When she goes for chemo all the other people are laughing and joking and eating their lunch the journey makes her ill well everything makes her ill.I am remembering Gordens Mum she had bowel cancer and she couldn't keep anything down she wanted the food in the end in hospital they were medicating her through injection as she couldn't keep tablets down.I know I shouldn't be defeatist but I really have a bad feeling about this,I won't let her know or Mum as she is a bit perkier that she is getting some help.
I really hope I am wrong but BIL feels the same as I do.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, your instincts are usually correct
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Unfortunately, your instincts are usually correct
I know thats whats worrying me.17th August seems a lifetime away at the moment.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I would try and get a Macillan nurse out as soon as you can, even if your sister doesn't want her, they (the nurses) have a way with words to get people to accept there help. I do hope things start to improve.

Ian
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
The nurses at the Macmillan trust are fantastic. What they don't know you can put on the back of a postage stamp.

Hopefully things will get sorted out so your sister can have the op.

Big hugs to you all xxxx
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I am so sorry, in one way you hope the doc is right and she stats to improve as she need to eat to keep her strenght up.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I hate to say this but if your MacMillan nurses are like ours then I wouldn't want one either! This is only from my professional findings. In fact I got so frustrated at how some of our clients were left upset I was going to write to the Macmillan Cancer fund to find out exactly what they do.

In my Mum's case she visited once when Mum and when I got home Mum was in tears as she'd said about her going into residential home. This is even with me, a professional carer and the support of a whole care agency behind me. This was also when she was still going out and about on the bus!
She came again when Mum started what was to be her 3rd and final course of chemo. I made sure I was there this time. She hadn't heard of the chemo, and asked if she could borrow the video they had given Mum to watch about. We never got it back even though I did say we hadn't watched it yet, and we never saw her again. Though not for trying. 2 visits in 2 years.
I won't go on but I suppose 80% of my cancer clients have nothing but bad experiences with MacMillan nurses.
Marie Curie can actually offer practcal help, like care at home and respite. You might also want to find out if your local hospice has a hospice at home service. PM me for more info, as they are worth their weight in gold.

District nurses are good support if they visit often enough. Your sister's oncology nurse should be good support to, as is her oncologist, and you should, or BIL should be able to speak to them. I use to regularly e-mail ours for advice, information and support. You should be able to speak to someone before August 17th, and also speak to the consultants and nurses when she goes for chemo.

The candida is quite common, Mum and many more get it as they are run down with very low immunity. It is more than simple thrush you or I would get. I had to be very careful to make sure Mum soaked her teeth and kept everything as clean as poss.
Pineapple, even if she just sucks crushed cubes, is great for a sore mouth.

I also understand how she is when she goes for chemo. Mum was like that at her 3rd lot, she'd had enough.

I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. A lot depends on the type of cancer and where it has spread to.
Big hugs to you all. x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >