Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Feeling My Age....

I'm quite a lucky soul in terms of age. Those who know me say that I don't look anywhere near my age, and for as long as they say that, I shall keep them on as friends I think. (Not at all fickle.)

Up until recently, I really haven't felt my age either. However, perhaps it's the Winter months catching up with me, I'm starting to find aches and pains in places of my body that I didn't even know existed, let alone were potential power-houses of discomfort.

To add to the humiliation of it, I've started doing that thing that we all remember our parents doing. You know the one; where they would get up from their chair and make that exhaling "ooh" sound as though they've just climbed a small mountain.

Not only that but I've taken to getting my hair cut more regularly. Not because it has magically started to grow with any greater speed than in previous years, but because as each year now passes me, the grey hairs bloom more aggressively, as though to punctuate my ageing with cruel and unwanted exclamation marks.

In the last couple of weeks, I've successfully managed to somehow hurt my lower back and my shoulder, just by throwing a ball around for the dog. I fear life has cruelly placed me at the top of that slippery slope of decline, which I must descend disgracefully, as those pesky youngsters run around, full of spirit, energy, and enthusiasm, no doubt mocking my ever-increasing levels of infirmity as they do so, in the full-knowledge that the prospect of me catching up with them would mirror the efforts of a shire horse attempting to catch up with a racehorse.

I suppose it had to happen, sooner or later, though I was rather banking on the latter of the two. I suppose that I shall soon be sitting on park benches, moaning about how we didn't need fence railings in my day, and how much of a blot on the landscape those youngsters with their electronic ear widgets are.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Snap, I do appear to be going the same way as you. I only have to look at my mum with her arthritic joints to know what's coming. Mis spent youth of too many stupid sports in Canada probably haven't helped either. At least you know you're not alone
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes, I used to be an avid weight-trainer, for which, my elbows and wrists are now most certainly paying the price.

Guess I'll see you on the park bench then.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Definitely, were talking about this today already. All lined up with our rugs over our knees talking about how kids these days don't know how good they have it LOL
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Well I know how that feels! My knees and elbows have been giving me gip this year, and I normally am the kind of person that runs up stairs etc Could it be arthritis? Rickets? Or something similar?...Well, I *think* I have narrowed it down to one of two food substances - Jordan's 100% Natural wheat bran (breakfast) or the Sacla rang of pasta sauces - both items introduced in my diet just before the problems started. (I really should write my own blog about this!). Anyway, don't be quick to put it down to 'old age' diet (or 'stuff' that goes in our gobs) is much more involved than many of us give credit for.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Speaking as a 51 year old I can completely sympathise ..the aches and pains seem to increase yearly
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, I agree with Mel. I'm 53, and I'm not sure there's much else that CAN ache........
Ah well.....

PS: I remember this when it was all fields!