Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-06-2012, 07:28 PM

An exasperating, annoying and sad day today

Long post.

After managing to keep mum in the rehabilitation hospital another week today it came to an end although we were told it was tomorrow she was being released.

After much arguing I pointed out what needed to happen and the main thing being home assessment. They decided to release her today and they took 2.5 hours to get the OT there. BIL was at ther neighbours doing a job for her and mum mentioned it so they knocked there told him they had dropped his MIL home so could he check she was ok then went. Her neighobur went in and sat with her for a while then Gill went along when her neighbour had to go home. In the mean time I am arguing with the nurse on duty about the way they have handeld taking her home. Twice on seperate occassions I put the phone down on her.

Eventually the OT came and mum came to the conclusion she cannot manage and is now back in the rehab hospital and tmorrw the SS will get involved and we willhva to put her into respite with a view to her not going home in the future dependant on how she picks up. It was a cruel way to do it letting her make the decision to go home so she thought she was there to stay till the next fall. Because mum promised she would do as she was told they believed her.
They asked mum if she could sleep in her chair and use the comode and would Gill be staying. A resounding no to both.

I have just had a call as they have left some injections in the fridge and thought I was Gill and could I take them back to the hospital this evening. No because I was not there and am in Harlow and do not disturb Gill she is ill and been up the house sorting out this awful mess too and needs to shut down for the evening now. Someone will take them when we know whats happening and can pop into the house to pick them up on the way to visiting mum.

So looks like at last she wlll going into respite with a view to staying depending on how she recovers. Gill says the cough she has is a lot worse than it was.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh Lynn, so sorry love.....

Hope Mum gets sorted once and for all..... she needs 24 hour care.....

x0x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh Lynn, so sorry love.....

Hope Mum gets sorted once and for all..... she needs 24 hour care.....

x0x
Thanks Vicki. She does and hopefully now we are on the way to getting her what she needs. It is still very sad to know we have come to this point its not any easier even when you think you are prepared. But we are pleased she will now be looked after and we can relax and enjoy her for the time we have left.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time it's horrible when someone you love is struggling at home without the care they need, horrible for them and for the people who have to watch and try to help. I hope she gets the care she needs, for everyone's sake...
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Am I taking this all wrong or did they just not do a home assessment? Then just dropped her off?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Am I taking this all wrong or did they just not do a home assessment? Then just dropped her off?
They dropped her off not knowing if anyone was available to look after her while waiting for the OT to turn up to do the home assessment. Mum mentioned my BIL was at her neighbours/friends house doing a job for her and so they knocked there informed him she was home and could he check on her and left. So her neighbour sat with her thinking the OT would be along shortly she then had to leave so my sister had to get there to take over. I then rang the social care lady and told her we were not at all happy and she got onto the hospital who rang me to say the OT lady was on her way in total it was 2.5 hours. What if no one had been available to sit with her ? I know another fall.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2012, 04:35 AM
Oh Lynn - SIGH - I would say how on earth could they have done that but having had personal experience of a similar occurrence, all I can do is SIGH...

(((hugs))) xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Oh Lynn - SIGH - I would say how on earth could they have done that but having had personal experience of a similar occurrence, all I can do is SIGH...

(((hugs))) xx
Sigh indeed. At least now they are taking us seriously and she will now at least go into respite and who knows she may well like being waited on hand foot and feeling safe for the first time in many years and decide it is the best thing.

We know it had to be done and she had to realise she couldn't manage and the only way to find that out was for the home assessment but and this is a big but they should have done it differently and more sympathetically.

Gorden was appalled at how it was handled and believe me it takes a lot to rile him especially where mum is concerned for the all the problems she has given mostly me over the last few years. He said they coould of handled this a lot more kindly. It may well be the last time she gets to see her home.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sigh indeed. At least now they are taking us seriously and she will now at least go into respite and who knows she may well like being waited on hand foot and feeling safe for the first time in many years and decide it is the best thing.
I hope so for everyone's sake.

We know it had to be done and she had to realise she couldn't manage and the only way to find that out was for the home assessment but and this is a big but they should have done it differently and more sympathetically.
SIGH

Gorden was appalled at how it was handled and believe me it takes a lot to rile him especially where mum is concerned for the all the problems she has given mostly me over the last few years. He said they coould of handled this a lot more kindly. It may well be the last time she gets to see her home.
Lynn, that is so sad for your mum if it was, indeed, the last time she was able to see her home, but I think you all know now that there is no way she can manage to live alone any more - and hopefully now your mum and all the relevant authorities will realise that as well.

xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Absolutly disgusting, your poor mum and poor you and Gill. I think I would be taking this to the papers, it has got to be bought to light what is happenning to hopefully try to stop it happenning to others who may not be as lucky as your mum in having someone to sit with them or be there.
I just can't believe what you have all been through, it makes getting old a scary prospect thats for sure.
I hope now thngs for all of you will be sorted and your mum can look forward to a secure future where she can get the care she needs and you can all have an end to this worry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >