register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BenjiesMum
New Member!

27-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Benjie is putting on weight & has bad hair loss (Cushing's Disease? Hypothyroidism?)

Hello Doglovers, It's been quite a while now since I wrote about Benjie....He had terrible scratching problems and was pink/white/black )))) He has been on 5mg.Prednisolone tablets (1 every other day) normally, but 1 very 2 days to keep it under control. He had been really great until this month. I noticed he was putting on weight and have not increased his diet in any way, neither does he get 'goodies'.
Now, not only has his weight increased but large bald areas have started appearing on his back and sides, also areas of black pigmentation can be seen. Took him to the Vets last week who did simple blood tests and he reported all were normal. I have to take him back on Wednesday morning for further blood tests as the Vet says it could be either Cushings Disease or Under active thyroid.....This is very sad as he has developed into a friendly, well behaved little chap since living with me. Anyone have experience of these conditions? I have had several dogs in my life but none with either of these.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Canine Hypothyroidism

This link might explain things better than me Paws crossed for Benjie as CHT is treatable
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2006, 09:30 PM
hi my dog has hypothyroid which is very treatable i would definatley get your vet to test for cushings as the hair loss often seen like the dog is threadbear is comman with dogs that suffer with cushings again this is treatable with medication
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Our dobe Gelert is on 2 soloxine tablets twice a day for thyroid. It has taken many months to get the dosage correct, but I am happy to say she is really looking good now. Her fur is growing back quickly and she is not as heavy as she was. Hope you get Benjie sorted.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear Benjis condition has improved and he has gained weight

Fingers crossed for you with regards to the diagnosis and I hope whatever is causing this there is a quick and simple remedy.
Bennysbest
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2012, 11:26 PM
My last dog had Cushings, she got very fat and her coat became very thin. She also had a wild eyed look and panted all the time and was constantly looking for food. Unfortunately for her there were no medicines that helped.
Benjies sounds more like Thyroid, I hope it getys sorted for you soon.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 06:08 AM
I would have hoped that in the 6 years between the original post and now that this has been resolved.............