Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Mums had another fall.

The second one in about 21/2 months.

Not sure what the damage is GIll and Peter have followed the ambulance and she will update later.

The gardener knocked could get no answer then heard her calling so popped over the road to a neighbour to see if she had a key she doesn't but another one does so he went there and they got in and found her sitting on the floor seems her bad leg that she badly broke in the hip area two years ago gave way she has been complaining about it a lot more lately being painful.

Gill got the call from Nora and went along to find mum saying it doesn't hurt and I don't need a doctor I told her to override mum and call one anyway which she did. Doctor said she needed an x-ray for the sarcoidosis and the leg as he felt she may of fractured a bone.

Ambulance arrived they made her stand said they wouldn't take her to hospital as she hadn't fractured anything if she could stand. Gill was so cross she had to leave the room so Peter piped up and said she keeps falling and doesn't realise she has fallen till a few minutes later so they said that is a different matter and have taken her for assessment.

Mum will be home I reckon as last time she had a funny turn in the treatment room and Gill and I said we were not happy about her going home and they laughed it off and said she would be ok even though we stressed she would be on her own after we had settled her and left. that time she had cut her head open falling on a concrete floor.

When will all this end it is getting silly now and Gill and I are at our wits end.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Ohh dear I hope she is ok.. I can see why you would be at your wits end!
My grandma has popped her hip out twice this year (and its a hip replacement) - she sounds just like your mum and says it doesnt hurt to much, and that she doesnt need a doctor, then when the doctors get there she screams in pain :/.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh Lynn, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum having another fall. These mothers of ours can sometimes be thier own worst enemies, trying to make out thier fine when they are not.
I really feel for you as your mum is obviously worse health wise than my parents and I'm having enough trouble with them.
I hope she will be ok, but its such a worry as to what we can do when they get like this that they will still be happy with.
Keep us updated. (((hugs)))
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Awww Lynn, thats such a shame.
I hope she will be ok, let us know how you get on. xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank you all will keep you posted.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Sorry to read this Lynn, I hope she will be alright..it would be a blessing if they could keep her in for a few days, if only to give you and Gill a bit of peace of mind and a chance to rest from worrying about her. I know your mum wouldn't like being kept in but it is for her sake too.

(((hugs)))
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Sorry to hear this , have you contacted the PALs(Patient Advice and Liason Service) locally , google it for your PCT and they will listen and try and help
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks Sheree we are hoping they will and assess her properly this time.

TTL thank you for that but we have lost count of the falls she has had in the last 6 years. she has had carers and they do nothing properly according to mum she has been in and out of hospital the last time she was in for nearly two months because of the severity of the fall and still they let her home her Dr and everyone else say if that is where she wants to be she can stay despite all this going on and it is becoming harder and harder work for us and my sister has cancer. They don't want to know she is 90 now and I think they tend to wash their hands of them at this age to be honest.

Mum is no help either she will tell white lies to get back home.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh dear not again, I'm so sorry Lynn, not just for you and your family coz I know what a trauma this is for all of you, but also for your dear old mum. As you know, I've seen many a fall with my mum, and remember that time when they told me to come and pick her up at midnight when she couldn't even stand, so I blatently refused Turned out by next morning the doctors went mad coz she'd actually fractured her hip and they were going to send her home like it!!!

You just make sure you get what YOU want this time, and if you feel she won't cope on her own at home, or if you feel she's done more damage than they're making out in that assessment ward, then you jolly well stick to your guns and refuse to take her, and then let them make sure she is 100% before even thinking about letting her out.

I really feel for you Lynn, I went through it soooooo many times, my mum even a bad fall after she'd just had the operation for a broken one I just don't know what it is with them, but my mum always said her legs would just "go" from underneath her, so maybe that's what happens with yours? I hope you get a restful night and I hope things are better in the morning, whether that's because they've kept her in for further assessment, or sent her home because she can stand and walk and isn't in pain. I'm sure we go through worse than they do with these falls! Sending some hugs for you Lynn, it's just never-ending isn't it, but sorry to say, it seems to be normal.

ETA: Think yourself lucky she's already in that assessment ward though on a Saturday night!!! I spent many a Saturday night ALL night in casualty - not a pleasant experience I can tell ya!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Helena I am at home Gill and Peter took her in.

Gill has just sent a text to say they are on the way home with mum. She can hardly stand they did an x-ray but obviously nothing was broken.

Gill will ring in a while when she has got mum settled I will know more then.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >