View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:19 PM

How to stop yelping because sudden feeling?

Ok you caught me, I didn't know what to call this thread.

Its about Kane a Rottie who has a abusive past, apart from disliking people who smell of cigerettes he has another issue, Kane is quite a simple boy (he's 8 years old and only just started any training) he is a lovely boy, and on the way back from a walk I can walk him and my two dogs with the leads over one arm and my hand in my pocket, at the start of the walk he's still learning though, and everytime he pulls and the lead gets to the end and it stops tugging him he yelps, his neck is fine, but I think the sudden feeling freaks him out (and whoever is holding suddenly gets dirty looks from everyone around) but hes not my dog, and doesn't like things on his face, he also gets terrible excited by any attention, so trying to mark a good behaviour with voice or treats gets him jumping up, which is not good, so does anyone have any idea how to help him, he does pull like a train, I have thought about a antipull harness but don't know if that would work.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I would definitely try a harness if he has a sensitive neck.

I know it's on a much smaller scale but Pepper was a real puller on a collar but walks beautifully on a harness, and it's just an ordinary one from Dog-games. So I'd say a harness is certainly worth a try, nothing to loose.

J.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi, are you 100% sure his neck/spine/head/ears are fine? Only if he's not had a vet check in that area I'd suggest one to be on the safe side

Dogs are very stoical and can hide pain very well.

With the treats and jumping up, you can practice feeding him treats and if he jumps up, remove the treat, but set him up for success, and ensure he has the opportunity to learn that taking them calmly he gets them, over excitement/grabby behaviour does not. However, do be careful you don't overly frustrate him and make sure he's got a nice enough nature to do this with him. Itmay be easier to teach it with toys at first...

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Dogs don`t usually shout for nothing, so I`d assume there was an old injury there and switch to a harness, personally.
Good luck with him.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Thank you, he was checked over a while for any injuries, but it can't hurt to do it again I am wondering though if it could be to do with the fact that he's only been wearing a collar for a while, although it must be at least a year now, and I did buy a rope lead for him before that but that made worse reactions and dispeared in the owners house , but I also believe that he would be grabbed by the scruff when his owner was angry, so its learnt a feeling round the neck is bad, I know for sure I saw the old owner grab him roughly by the neck and push or pull him more then a few times, I didn't see any hitting, but know things got physical. I will try to train him, this dog is my baby I've seen him grow up from when I was ten and he was a eight week old puppy, and I would walk to the end of the earth for him, I just wish he wouldn't get so excited by any positive stimulation is heaven to him, even looking at him sometimes can get too much.

I'll also pick up a harness for him too.