Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 12:10 PM

The crap that comes with christmas.

I love christmas, love the lights, buying pressies, the music and the adverts, there is one thing however I don't like, the pretending to like each other, for one day, and I don't keep quiet about that part either, well I will for one evening, kind of, my nan wants us all to go out for a meal one evening, but I will just do what I did last time at a family get together, ignore my parents and sit at the other end of the table, they aren't there then you see , and if anything is said, I will stand my ground, whether or not it causes a scene, I am fed up of it all now.

But I'm not going to let the magic of christmas change my family, I've not been to me mums for at least six months, I don't want to, and I'm not welcome either (because she was being a **** I needed to get in contact with someone with a car, one of the animals was hurt, and I couldn't get them to a vet, I tried her as a last resort a few times, and she was getting some random to answer it saying I had the wrong number, I went mental, but hadn't seen her for about four months before that), birthdays have been ignored, and she has moved another family in to her house, telling my older brother and sister that they can't stay Christmas as there is no room, now, I've got my opinions on this, and have spoke to my brother about them (I'm not spending the day there, in October plans had already been made to spend it somewhere else), anyway she heard my plans, and my thoughts, and tried telling me that I was welcome, and making up complete crap, and she had been told that I said something different, so I told her what I said (which was, well she's always preferred having other people live there rather then her own family, I have previosly been kicked out to make room for others, so I know what she's like) the family (mum, dad, three kids) are people that before recently she didn't speak too, my two younger brothers don't know them, and don't like them, I'm not sure why they are there and at the moment I am in a argument with her, which tbh I'm not sure why she even bothered ringing me, then dragging someone else into it too but why around Christmas are we meant to forget all this and play happy families, it really annoys me, I mean I'm not even in the family protrait, so why is this act even thought to go ahead?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
It's weird, isn't it.

We are quite selfish about Christmas actually. We don't usually see any family at all on Christmas Day, though we might see friends. On OH's side, there are several factions, who make visiting a nightmare. We've stopped all that by not visiting until after the 'big day' - then we can't be accused of favouring one side over the other etc.

A lot of OH's family (who don't work/are retired etc) think we should host big family events at our house, as it's fairly large. I don't share this view! Christmas is MY holiday too; and I don't want to spend it rushed off my feet looking after a bunch of ungratefuls!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I just don't do it. Luckily my Father is the same as me so we have lunch and then sit watching non xmas stuff on TV.
I do buy him presents though. Just him.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I know what you mean. My parents always come down to our house for christmas and as much as we all love spending the day with my Mother, I wish we didn't have to spend it with my Father. We have a very strained relationship (I don't want to go into why.........loooong story!)

But I can hardly tell my Mummy to leave him at home and come on her own
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
It's weird, isn't it.

We are quite selfish about Christmas actually. We don't usually see any family at all on Christmas Day, though we might see friends. On OH's side, there are several factions, who make visiting a nightmare. We've stopped all that by not visiting until after the 'big day' - then we can't be accused of favouring one side over the other etc.

A lot of OH's family (who don't work/are retired etc) think we should host big family events at our house, as it's fairly large. I don't share this view! Christmas is MY holiday too; and I don't want to spend it rushed off my feet looking after a bunch of ungratefuls!
As long as you invite us at some point over x-mas...your cooking is too good to miss
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Some of you better hope the dogsey christmas police don't spot this, as you won't here the end of how evil you are, for not doing it their way.

At Chaz

I wouldn't bother with her, if she can't put her own family above others, then imo she doesn't deserve you, or your siblings.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:29 PM
My mother passed away seven years ago today, she used to spend christmas with us most years, and my father before he passed away.

Christmas just isn't the same without them. We really miss them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Out with friends a lot for the big build up but ..... Christmas on our own with the dogs, just the way we like it! We don't do family either, we have each other and the dogs You can choose your friends......
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Haha, I do a very breif obligatory visit then spend the day with the people that I want to spend the day with