Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 02:34 AM

Kinda funny park incident story

Soooo.... not been on the computer in weeks. Took Nigredo and Jadey to the lake the other day. Let Nigredo loose and we were having an awesome time. Two young women come by up on the trail, followed by their dog... I would come to notice soon enough.

They come strolling by, and then behind them... follows a Min Pin. Small black and brown dog, pointed ears, no tail (docked). HAD to be a Min Pin. Could be wrong, but highly doubt it. No bigger than my cat. But it growled and snarled and charged at Nigredo.

He is 9 1/2 ish months and not used to new dogs charging at him. He immediately bolts towards the lake, tail down (not curled up like it usually is)... and scared. He's not usually scared, but the dog surprised him as much as it did me.

Woman shouts something inaudible... I'm totally not listening, I'm trying to follow my puppy down the hill and hold onto Jadey and avoid falling as she's worried about him and starts yapping and pulling.

He's running clumsily slow, as usual, and Min Pin is right on his tail. He gets to the lakes edge, cornered and jumps straight in. He smoothly swims out a bit and escapes. The Min Pin follows him without thinking... and panics, suddenly realizing he/she doesn't like water.

The little dog is too deep and starts thrashing and flailing. For some reason, I worry more about it than I do my own dog. I immediately tread a bit of the water and grab the little thing.

Jadey hates the water and is going berserk trying to buck backward as I'm forced to drag her (she is leashed to my wrist, as always) into a bit of water along with me.

Got the Min Pin, he/she is happy to be out of the water, not moving a bit. THANK GOODNESS, as forbid the thing bit me... could be bad. Jade is upset, but worried about Nigredo more than caring about the dog in my hands.

Woman comes down to lakes edge, heaving breaths (she is really large). Jades goes berserk at seeing a running huge woman coming towards us... starts barking insane.

Mind you Jade is muzzled, as she is so-so with other dogs and in this part of the park, other dogs are moderately frequent and always off lead. Woman stops in her tracks, leans over to catch her breath... gasping for air.

Stuff tiny dog under my arm... look for Nigredo, knowing he's near. He comes to shore unharmed, shaking off the water. Try calming Jadey with some soothing voices and pointing her to Nigredo to try and show her he's fine. Doesn't relax, but is muzzled and harnessed up close... no biggie.

Walk up to the woman... with a growling, muzzled, Jade and hand her her little monstrosity. She showers me with thanks and apologies, and heaving breaths and dramatic hand motions... claiming her dog "never did that before". I give her a few "it's okay" and buzz off, leaving her to catch her breath and whatnot.

All in all, no real harm was done and I think Min Pin learned a good lesson that day. Don't chase 61 lb. Lab mix puppies into the water, as you cannot win in the water. Nigredo is fine, he's met other dogs since then and done fine... seems no lasting harm was done. Hopefully her dog has no lasting fear from the incident.

I learned something, too. I hate little dogs, would never own one and avoid them when I see them... but in the end, I couldn't let him/her stay in the deep water despite that.

I guess having a heart means more than having blood flowing through your body. Soaked into my shoes and all on my pants, and then soaked up top from holding a wet Min Pin, but didn't even care. Kinda lifted my spirits, the entire thing. Thought to write it here. Good day everyone, thanks for reading.

P.S.
My mother was right there in her lounge chair thingy on the hillside, laughing the entire time. Wanted to smack her... but of course didn't.
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Goodness this actually made me laugh out loud.
Poor little min pin.

Good instincts on your pupīs part though, Lab clearly coming through for him to run to water.
I also totally get Jadeīs reaction.
At least the woman had the sense to apologize and get that just because her dog is small, it was still in the wrong here.

I have small dogs but I actually understand why some people canīt stand them.
Just today I was walking mine to our little spot where noone else ever goes but on our way there a terrier comes running over, he was friendly and not overly pushy but Leo decided he didnīt want this overgrown (Terrier was at least twice Leoīs size) pooch messing with Destiny and started growling and putting on a macho act.
Honestly I would not have blamed the terrier if he would have take Leo down a notch but thankfully I got a hold of my little ****** and got him under control.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Hi, IceCody. Her dog was a bit... ehh... overzealous might I say, but in the end... I kinda felt bad for it and her.

She acted like she was going to die of breathlessness from running wayyyy too much, and the dog was scared to it's core.

I don't know what happened to the other woman I saw with her at first, either... perhaps she ran away? I've been really down lately, and was happy to have this happen as it's lifted my spirits tremendously. After it happened, I got some giggles out of it with mother.

As for Nigredo, he doesn't like the deep water yet, so it was awesome to see him go swimming right into it to escape the "danger" of a Min Pin... LOL!

For my mother, who was laughing, it was funny to see a 61 lb. dog running from a dog the size of a house cat.

Maybe when he gets older he'll learn to stand his ground against dogs the size of a high top sneaker.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Why do you hate little dogs just because of one untrained dog?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Why do you hate little dogs just because of one untrained dog?
Why do you assume that? I dislike small breeds because my cats have been attacked in their own yard by them, and my previous Lab mix Brownie was badly bitten on the foot by one who chased him from behind and attacked, and when he proceeded to fight back and snap the dogs leg... it was suddenly my fault.

Perhaps "hate" isn't the best word to use. But as a general rule, same as pit bulls I avoid them if at all possible. It's actually not all small breed dogs. It's Chihuahuas, Min Pins, and all short haired small breeds such as those I have a problem with.

CKCS, poodles, cocker spaniels, etc. I'm fine with. I love pit bulls, BTW... but the ghetto, and horrible people here who own them do them tons of harm (fight rings, abuse, chaining, etc).

I have had dogs seriously mauled by them, through no fault of their own... but with a puppy and an old decrepit dog who can't fight back (unlike my previous dog who held his own in several vicious fights) I avoid them if I see them.

Same with small breeds. Encounters with them make me try and avoid them, but as you can see... it is not always possible. Maybe that offers a bit of insight? Idk...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I wonder if he might have been a Manchester toy terrier? My friend has been looking after one recently and I thought it was a mini pin first of all. This little dogs body is about the size of remus' head and it's legs are so tiny I worry they're going to snap! It walked with Remus happily for over a week and then the last day it was with my friend it decided to try to bite Remus as he sprinted past...it's only funny because no one was hurt...it was like something out of a cartoon! It lept at Remus as he sprinted past, we saw it latch on and then woosh they were both gone with Bailey hangin on to Remus' side by the teeth! How he didn't give himself whiplash I don't know!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I wonder if he might have been a Manchester toy terrier? My friend has been looking after one recently and I thought it was a mini pin first of all. This little dogs body is about the size of remus' head and it's legs are so tiny I worry they're going to snap! It walked with Remus happily for over a week and then the last day it was with my friend it decided to try to bite Remus as he sprinted past...it's only funny because no one was hurt...it was like something out of a cartoon! It lept at Remus as he sprinted past, we saw it latch on and then woosh they were both gone with Bailey hangin on to Remus' side by the teeth! How he didn't give himself whiplash I don't know!
Maybe it was one of those. But I'm American and I'd suspect a Min Pin would be more likely than that breed. If Nigredo was a lurcher like Remus, he'd have been able to outrun the dog and none of this would have happened! But he's a goofy Lab mixed puppy.

No one was hurt here, either. Jade got upset and both Nigredo and the little dog had a bit of a scare... and I got really wet and the woman almost fainted from exhaustion and anguish... but all was well in the end lol.