Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Gas fire servicing

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs to have a gas fire serviced? It was one of the very few things my ex-husband used to sort out, and I realised today that it wasn't serviced last year after we separated. We haven't used the fire yet this year, but it's starting to get chilly enough to want it, so I want to get it checked out before I potentially expose us (and the dogs) to any carbon monoxide poisoning

I haven't got a clue how much these things normally cost, so I just wanted a rough idea before I start ringing round the local gas engineers. Also, how do I check that they are Corgi registered? Apparently there have been several "cowboys" claiming to be registered when they're not - would Corgi have a list of registered engineers if I called and asked?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Ours cost about £30 a few months ago. Try ringing up a gas fire shop - they usually have engineers who'll come out to you. That's what we did anyway
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:50 PM
If it's been used regularly year in year out, then why not just go to B & Q and buy yourself one of those carbon monoxide thingamy readers? Lot cheaper and every home should have one anyway!

Maybe go into Yell.com and see if they do a section on Corgi registered service engineers in your area? Maybe e-mail Corgi themselves and they'll give you one in your area? British gas charge £70 to service a boiler I think? They'd be a good bet, but then again
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Our local Gas shop charged us £50 when it was serviced last year.... we got the gas fire off of them.
Mind you he was here well over an hour because I used to look after his Mum and we were catching up lol... I believe it is a fixed price.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi, I studied a gas course, but am not Corgi at the mo. A good engineer will have a Corgi badge (many have it on their van) with the number underneath. You can ring Corgi to check them out for peace of mind. In my area engineers usually charge £50 - £80 for a service. You can maintain it yourself by hoovering it to prevent dog hairs being sucked in, but it should still have a service, just in case. Most problems and leaks are caused by pet hairs and dust as the flue sucks in air it gets clogged with debris and the fumes pass out into the room instead of the flue, so a carbon monoxide detector is no substitute for a regular service. You don't know whether the CO detector is working or not, and if it's not, then it could be too late.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Your local council or office of fair trading will have a list of recommended corgi engineers.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I can't find the previous certificates (I'm sure Corgi engineers are meant to give these out at the time of the service?) so I definitely want to get it properly serviced. Knowing my ex, he's probably had a mate round to look at it and just told me that he's had a proper engineer out

I have one of those Carbon Monoxide stickers (the kind that are meant to change colour), but it's been up for goodness knows how long, so I think I'll try to pick up one of the new ones - I think they have an alarm if they detect carbon monoxide?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
Thanks for the replies. I can't find the previous certificates (I'm sure Corgi engineers are meant to give these out at the time of the service?) so I definitely want to get it properly serviced. Knowing my ex, he's probably had a mate round to look at it and just told me that he's had a proper engineer out

I have one of those Carbon Monoxide stickers (the kind that are meant to change colour), but it's been up for goodness knows how long, so I think I'll try to pick up one of the new ones - I think they have an alarm if they detect carbon monoxide?
Rather than a certificate, there should be a sticker somewhere in the casing of your fire with the date and signature of the engineer.
The CO alarms are better than the colour change ones, so that's what I would recommend.
alice0675
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
We've just had our fire serviced and it was £55
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Having had two close friends die of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty gas fire I think it's really important to get it serviced . I'm sure the gas board would do it or the yellow pages should have adverts saying people who are corgi registered
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >