Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2005, 06:50 PM

pup travel sick

Cassey is nearly 6 mths now and she has been in the car and our motorhome that we use for motox loads of times and once a 2 hr journey but the other day my hubby took her in his old works van that is noisey and she started to drewl and was sick, again today we went in the motorhome and arfter 15 mins her nose was all wet and she was drewling real bad you could see she wasnt settled too, i dont understand she use to be ok with traveling, has anyone else experienced this and is there anything i could do to make it easier for her. It worried me a bit, sorry forgotto say she wasnt sick this time and did seem a bit better on the way home.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2005, 07:12 PM
One of Stans top 30 tips is about travel sickness in hints and tips section.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 07:44 PM
max gets car sick if he sits on a seat in the car. well he doesnt throw up but he drools and looks as green as a dog can but if he is in the boot (i have an mpv with the 2 boot seats removed) or on the floor he is fine. i dont think he copes with being unstable on a seat. can she go on the floor or is she already on the floor?
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2005, 07:44 PM
thanks annestaff will have a look.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Ginger is supposed to help sickness - a couple of ginger nuts broken into bits and given every little while? Might help.....or you might have puked bikkies to clear up.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 09:40 AM
My German Shepherd was like this, we didn't used to feed him before travelling and I also tried to train it out of him by going back to basics. I started off just letting him jump into the boot,closing the door and then letting him out again. Then when he showed no anxiety builing this up to me switching the engine on for a bit, gradually working up so I took him just around the block and back home again.

It was long-winded but worked and he stopped the anxiety, I think some of it was to do with a lot of our journeys were long and he assumed whenever he got into the car it was for a long journey? Who knows!! But he did stop it in the end.

A friend of mine swears by Rescue Remedy for her bitch.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
My German Shepherd was like this, we didn't used to feed him before travelling and I also tried to train it out of him by going back to basics. I started off just letting him jump into the boot,closing the door and then letting him out again. Then when he showed no anxiety builing this up to me switching the engine on for a bit, gradually working up so I took him just around the block and back home again.
It was long-winded but worked and he stopped the anxiety, I think some of it was to do with a lot of our journeys were long and he assumed whenever he got into the car it was for a long journey? Who knows!! But he did stop it in the end.
A friend of mine swears by Rescue Remedy for her bitch.
Hii Ozzysmum Christine was saying about the rescue remedy being good, I recommend a little juice squeezed from fresh ginger. I also think the getting a dog used to the car thing is good to get over the 'fear'. You can do this too by feeding and walking the dog, putting the dogs familiar blanket in the car, putting the dog in the car for a short time and not going anywhere. You can stay with it and read or listen to the radio for ten minutes each day and the dog will soon get used to the car. Then progress to short journeys. Just have to make sure the car is not hot and the windows are open.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2005, 11:44 AM
indie is sometimes car sick, but ive put it down to the driver. If bf is driving she is more often than not sick! but if bfs dad is driving (who drives slow) shes fine and is happy to sit on the seats. but with bf she will sit on the floor and occassionally have a look out the window
staffysmum
Dogsey Junior

20-03-2005, 09:51 PM
lolas only sick if she sits in the back seat if i put her in the front she isnt its a simple thing somtimes