Our sister sites
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2006, 07:37 PM

Stanmer Park,Brighton,East Sussex.

Venue : Stanmer Park

Area : Brighton, East Sussex.

Type of walk : Open fields and woodland.

Stanmer park is a lovely huge park situated just off the A27 north of Brighton.it has a vast open area for football,pinics and playing with your dog.Personally i prefer the woods which run up the side of the park and go on for miles.You can literally walk the paths all day.It is popular with dog walkers and ramblers.At the top end of the park there is a huge house called Stanmer house which is now being renovated.There is also Stanmer village with its little shop where you can enjoy a cup of tea.On the other side of the park there is yet more woodland with a nice walk adjacent to Sussex university,the path leads you to a large dew pond which is lovely in the summmer.If anyone is down this way either with or without their four legged friend,Stanmer park is well worth a visit.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Stamford, only just realised your in Brighton, 10 mins in the car from me. Stanmer Park is beautiful, often walked Simba there. Had many family picnic's there too. Maybe meet up in the warmer weather!!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 11:55 AM
A meet would be really nice Harveys Mum.I love Stanmer,you can walk for miles in the woods.Only this morning we went a completely different way alongside the Uni and past the dew pond all the way round to Stanmer village,back down through the park which took about an hour and a half.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I know it very well! Used to walk my dog around there coz we lived just down the road in Hartington Road, know it?? Lovely park to walk the dogs. We lived there when that terrible tragedy happened with those poor girls, can't remember names I'm afraid, but it was headline news at the time, so it put me off walking in there for a while I must say. I'm 3 miles inland from Worthing
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm in Croydon but willing to travel....... (how sad am I?)

What tragedy H? Also, looking forward to our meeting when Len's "nether regions" have recovered after his coming op this Wednesday
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Vicki There was a young girl assaulted and killed in the park, I think she was only about 10? A man who lived on the Estate opposite the park was questioned many times, but the Police always had to let him go as they didn't have enough evidence. Everybody pointed the finger at him too Stephen Bishop that was his name, but I can't remember the name of the young girl? Anyone know? I don't think they ever convicted anyone for it either. We used to live very near to the other end of the park in our very first house, and often used to walk over there with the dog, but it did put me off going alone after that. I've got much nicer dog walking in my area anyways!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 01:32 PM
It was actually two young girls and that was at Wild Park which is further down the road,The name of the suspect was Russell Bishop and he was never convicted although the police at the time said they were not persuing anybody else in connection with the killings.Later on Russell Bishop was found guilty of assault and attempted murder of another little girl who was found wandering naked on Devils Dyke another local beauty spot near Brighton.He is still in prison now.
http://newcriminologist.co.uk/news.asp?id=-1713061330
There is a link for anyone interested.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for putting me right Stamford, I got his surname right at least, and this afternoon I remembered it was actually 2 little girls, not 1. Thanks for the link I'll take a look, and I'm very glad to hear he's still in prison too!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Sounds like were going to have a party in the park.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Thanks for putting me right Stamford, I got his surname right at least, and this afternoon I remembered it was actually 2 little girls, not 1. Thanks for the link I'll take a look, and I'm very glad to hear he's still in prison too!
The longer that b*****d is locked up the better eh Helena54.You can be forgiven for forgetting some of the details it was a long time ago.I know one of the uncles of one of the girls and obviously they have never gotten over it and not having any sort of closure on the case hasn't helped.

and Harveys Mum a party in the park sounds exactly what we need.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >