View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I think this is a ridiculous question, honestly. I hope it's lighthearted?!?!

If someone chose their dog/s over their husband then surely he shouldn't be your husband.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I think this is a ridiculous question, honestly. I hope it's lighthearted?!?!

If someone chose their dog/s over their husband then surely he shouldn't be your husband.
Welcome to the world of the ex-married!
And congratulations in spotting the humour.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Dogs, I'm not getting married, far to expensive, first you've got the wedding, then the divorce.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Welcome to the world of the ex-married!
And congratulations in spotting the humour.

thank goodness, but sometimes i do wonder...
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Yup ... it would be the dogs for me ... as you can tell as I'm currently single!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Hi,

When I got Jaikei (Jan 1997) my OH and I (not married back then) weren't together. When we did get back together, he knew I had a dog. Had he said at the time that he wouldn't accept her, then I wouldn't have gone back to him.

Although he wasn't a dog person, he wouldn't see one hurt. When we were married (July 2006) Jaikei would wait by the living room door at about 830pm every night. I'd open the door for her and she's take herself up to bed on the landing. My (now) ex hiusband would usually be chatting on the computer and if I went upstairs for any reason before I went to bed myself, I'd find her under his desk and he'd be rubbing her belly with his feet. So he did like her really, although he'd never admit to that.

I'm thankfully now divorced (nothing to do with dogs though) but I know that if I were still married to him, I wouldn't have any dogs now. He wouldn't allow me to. In fact, he wouldn't allw me to do anything! So if I had to make a choice, hard as it would be, then the dogs would win.

I've had 2 partners since him. The first didn't like dogs at all and expected me to put them outsidew and lock them out every time he came. So he didn't last too long. My current fiance loves the dogs and Oscar alike. Zane loves hiim to bits too which I find surprising as it takes a while for Zane to become so familiar with people.

But when we get married later this year (woo hoo ), there will definitely be an agreement relating to the dogs, stating that I will keep them. I think it would be more difficult if a couple split up when the dogs have been bought after the marriage. If it's clear that a dog belongs to one partiular person, or if there are 2 dogs that spend their times with each partner, then it's easy to sort out.

Having said all that, my fiance loves me, Oscar and the dogs. He'd never abuse us as my ex hsband did so we won't be splitting up. I think with him, as he thinks so much of the dogs (which is really nice considering he didn't grow up with any pets at all), without an agreement in place, should things between us ever go pear shaped then there would be problems/arguments about the dogs.

Laura xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I think your post just about sums it up, Stumpywop.
My old mum said you could tell what a man was really like by the way he treated animals and children. If a guy isn`t kind to a creature who is completely dependant on him, he has a major flaw in his character.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Lighthearted or not..Hubby of 14 years would be out the door if he asked me to choose...plain & simple and he knows it..

He knows if we ever split up he can have access to the kids without question but he will have to fight me for the dogs
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It depends....
if it was him making me choose, I'd choose the dogs because if he forced me to make a decision like that, he isn't the guy I think he is.

if there was some other reason why I absolutely had to choose, much as I really love my dogs, I do love OH more and would choose him (though if you asked him, he'd say that I'd pick the dogs)
im the same. im not married, but i have never been with a guy who doesnt like dogs... actually, thinking about it... they have all had dogs (although my current one doesnt have one now, he did when we met)... so i dont think it would become an issue, coz a guy would have to accept both me and jake, we come as a package
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 08:03 PM
It would be the hubby, because I am still in the newly wedded bliss phase. In fact the dogs were at our reception, came on our honeymoon and are coming away on our 1st anniversary celebrations. They are so much a part of our lives he just wouldn't ask me to choose............would he?
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5