register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Against. Individuals should have the choice as to whether they wish to bear arms. It is a very personal choice which alters the shape of a persons character.

From a selfish point of view I would not want to see my son or daughters forced into such a position either.A difficult enough position as a parent without it being mandatory.

althought ido see where you are coming from i put i agree with bringing back national service

tbh i think it would get certain troublemakers off the streets and into a better frame of mind!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Absolutely!!!!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Absolutely yes
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 10:33 PM
No totally against it, don't think the army would be best pleased either. As for teaching respect and pride in themselves surely that's the parents job, or is that another job being offloaded onto the government.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:12 PM
My children are well-behaved and well-mannered they work hard and respect their elders. Why should they be forced to give up three years of their lives so that the young offenders and other individuals you have mentioned get some self respect and discipline.

In answer to another poster I would not wish my children to be forced into any situation for a number of years. They should have the right to choose the path their lives take....it does not matter if it is a gun, a spanner or a bandage. If an individual does not wish to serve they should not have to.

I find myself coming down very strongly on this one. We have worked very hard as parents to bring up well adjusted polite children who are a delight to be with.( I am not criticising anyone on here for not doing so either by the way) We give them the maximum apportunities we can afford/manage. Their lives as they become adults will develop as they make choices. Taking choice away from them goes agauinst everything we have valued for them as children.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I voted yes, I really do believe that it's what society needs now. Many parents clearly aren't interested in bringing their children up, so why not let the army do it instead. I bet at the end of the training programme (and that's what I mean by national service, training rather than actual fighting and going into battle) the majority of the "soldiers" would be thankful for it.

I mean what's better in the long run, being taught the meaning of respect and having the training under your belt to do a job, or a life on benefits?!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 11:20 PM
So the army gets to train them and yet can't send them to war, what's in it for the army?
As for many parents not being interested in doing a proper job on bringing up decent respectful children then maybe those parents should be the ones being given national service.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:22 PM
What about all the kids who are working hard, behaving themselves and look as if they have worthwhile/successful careers developing?.

So may posters on here seem to be stereo-typing teenagers(My daughters words by the way)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So the army gets to train them and yet can't send them to war, what's in it for the army?
As for many parents not being interested in doing a proper job on bringing up decent respectful children then maybe those parents should be the ones being given national service.
Love that idea Trouble........
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
No totally against it, don't think the army would be best pleased either. As for teaching respect and pride in themselves surely that's the parents job, or is that another job being offloaded onto the government.
Unfortunately increasing amounts of parents don't though do they? Young people today (oh god I sound like my gran) are far too often nothing short of absolutely terrifying. And this is no exaggeration coming from someone forced to move back home due to a group of 40+ strong 11-20 odd yr olds with no sense of direction in their short lives, who a majority of which may be given some sort of 'chance' at a new beginning in life due to something such as national service. Something needs to be done and it could be a step in the right direction as I don't know what much else could be suggested for the likes aside from a parent transplant.

Also as far as I was aware it was one year in this country and 3 in some other European countries and still is in Germany e.t.c? Correct me if i'm wrong, it's before my time.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »