Our sister sites
Our sister sites
simonc
New Member!
Male 

28-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Dog photography

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is an appropriate place to ask the question, and please excuse me if it is not, but I am a photographer that was considering branching out into pet photography.

As enthusiastic dog owners, I was wondering if I could ask you whether you would be willing to pay for a studio quality pet photography service that came to your home? I would charge about £40-50 and photograph your pet in a contemporary style with a plain background and provide 1 10 x 8 print of your choice (from say 12) included in the price. Additional prints could be purchased at extra cost. There would be no time limit and I would bring all my equipment. I would only need an area of about 8 foot x 6 foot.

I feel that by being in familiar surroundings the dog would be more relaxed and a better picture could be created.

As you can tell this is only an idea and I am just researching the "market", so I would love to hear any feedback from you.

Thanks ever so much in advance.

Simon Colmer
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 11:01 AM
hi Simon

I wouldn't pay to have my pup photographed as I prefer my own shots - some of which have already been framed and anyway Suki wouldn't pose for just anyone in her own home. She'd be far too excited
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I wouldnt myself but I'm sure there are many dog owners out there who love to spoil their dogs and would love a service like this
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I used to help a friend out back in US doing pet photography, it was a blast...I think she used to charge around $75 (USD) and that would have to be about 8 years ago. The owners had one larger photo (with frame...they had a selection to choose from....Im not certain of the size but it was quite a bit bigger than 8x10) plus 'I think' about half a dozen smaller photos (maybe around 3x5).

She was doing all the developing herself though it wasnt digital. I dont know how your doing them but to be honest with the software available today and digi cameras its not too difficult to get good photos yourself and make them whatever size you want, just takes a little creativity.

Me personally, Id have to say no...however if you offered a little more, like my friend did....like a frame, larger size and a handful of smaller photos then I might be prepared to pay the amount your thinking of. Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking what you doing, I think its a great idea, its just too easy and much less expensive these days for anyone with a comp and digi to do it themselves, its basically what put my friend out of business.

Good luck though.